PDA

View Full Version : How to fund an MBA?

woodywoodford
01-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Just wondering how people do this. I was looking at the Queens program and by the time I cover living expenses/etc I'm well over $100,000. I'm already buried in student debt though I'm putting as much of a dent in that as I can. Do government loans naturally have much higher denominations for graduate compared to undergrad? Do banks front that much money? Are scholarships significant and easy enough to get?

cet
01-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Anyone I know who has taken an MBA program has had their employer pay for it.

Xtrema
01-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by cet
Anyone I know who has taken an MBA program has had their employer pay for it.

90% went thru this route. Of course you have to sign your life away some retention clause.

blitz
01-14-2013, 06:36 PM
Why don't you work and pay down your existing student debt, and take your MBA in town at night?

sabad66
01-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Do you really need an MBA? Sounds like you are a recent grad since you're still paying down your debt... i'd wait if i were you.

To answer your question, most people I know that have an MBA have been working for a few years and have established themselves enough so that a) they can afford to pay for it on their own or b) are well regarded enough / seen as having future potential so that their company pays for it.

woodywoodford
01-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Yeah, I'm looking at a 2014 start, when I'd have two years experience. As far as do I need it, probably not but if I haven't gotten my dream job by then (equity research) it would be worth considering, but even after paying down as much debt as I can in that time ill still have quite a bit leftover. The whole point would be for networking, internship and a career shift, so the company paying just isn't an option. But after talking to some people on another forum it sounds like I'm lucky in that ER is about the only investment career path where industry experience is, arguably, preferred over an MBA.

joegrang
01-15-2013, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by woodywoodford
Yeah, I'm looking at a 2014 start, when I'd have two years experience. As far as do I need it, probably not but if I haven't gotten my dream job by then (equity research) it would be worth considering, but even after paying down as much debt as I can in that time ill still have quite a bit leftover. The whole point would be for networking, internship and a career shift, so the company paying just isn't an option. But after talking to some people on another forum it sounds like I'm lucky in that ER is about the only investment career path where industry experience is, arguably, preferred over an MBA.

If finance/banking is what op wants for a future career, he is taking the right path. Banks/Investment Firms want young and energetic MBA grads. There are a few on the board who work in this field, maybe they can verify that you are taking the right steps and what pitfalls to avoid. Good Luck!

Super_Geo
01-15-2013, 10:23 AM
You don't need an MBA to get an associate position in Research, especially if you have some pertinent job experience. You need to get your CFA (at least L1), network your ass off, and check the Calgary CFA Jobline website every single day... there are tons of ER positions listed there.

I've been saying it for years, but the MBA is getting seriously watered down. So many people started taking it after they got laid off in 08 that there's a glut, and average starting pay for MBA grads has been trending down accordingly.

woodywoodford
01-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
You don't need an MBA to get an associate position in Research, especially if you have some pertinent job experience. You need to get your CFA (at least L1), network your ass off, and check the Calgary CFA Jobline website every single day... there are tons of ER positions listed there.

I've been saying it for years, but the MBA is getting seriously watered down. So many people started taking it after they got laid off in 08 that there's a glut, and average starting pay for MBA grads has been trending down accordingly.

That's what I like to hear... I'm getting L1 results on the 22nd at which point I should be able to join the society and get on the jobline board, as long as its priced reasonably at least

CLiVE
01-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Mine was 100% employer paid. Then I 100% paid for my wife's MBA. :nut:

Super_Geo
01-15-2013, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by woodywoodford

That's what I like to hear... I'm getting L1 results on the 22nd at which point I should be able to join the society and get on the jobline board, as long as its priced reasonably at least

The Jobline board is open to the public. Just google "Calgary CFA Jobline"

Super_Geo
01-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by CLiVE
Mine was 100% employer paid. Then I 100% paid for my wife's MBA. :nut:

Any kids?
Sounds like one hell of a DINK setup! :bigpimp:

CLiVE
01-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

Any kids?
Sounds like one hell of a DINK setup! :bigpimp:

Lol. Completed mine 1 month after my daughter was born. :thumbsup: Then we took turns being single parents while my wife did her MBA in France/Italy. That ain't cheap. :cry:

5 degrees between us now....and we can't beat the 5 year old at a simple game of memory. :banghead:

Marsh
01-15-2013, 12:38 PM

Lol. Completed mine 1 month after my daughter was born. :thumbsup: Then we took turns being single parents while my wife did her MBA in France/Italy. That ain't cheap. :cry:

5 degrees between us now....and we can't beat the 5 year old at a simple game of memory. :banghead:

Did she go to Insead? Otherwise why go to france?

CLiVE
01-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Marsh

Did she go to Insead? Otherwise why go to france?

ISIPCA. Combined program - MBA / Master's in Fragrance and Cosmetics. Specialized program.

lint
01-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Just saw this article pop up on LinkedIn
http://qz.com/42233/if-you-cant-get-into-a-top-five-mba-program-dont-even-bother/

Type_S1
01-15-2013, 06:02 PM

ISIPCA. Combined program - MBA / Master's in Fragrance and Cosmetics. Specialized program.

What the hell. Does she make and sell perfume now?

bastardchild
01-15-2013, 08:05 PM
I would just quit school entirely if I were you. Pay off your current student debt and start building relationships with good people. That is what will open doors and opportunities for a solid future.

BananaFob
01-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1

What the hell. Does she make and sell perfume now?

It's a big industry. My aunt is doing this in Singapore and she rakes in the big dough. Fragrance doesnt just mean perfumes, she chooses what laundry detergents smell like for all of east asia.

Type_S1
01-15-2013, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by bastardchild
I would just quit school entirely if I were you. Pay off your current student debt and start building relationships with good people. That is what will open doors and opportunities for a solid future.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Ya OP, take this advice. Taking advice from known scammers and criminals is always a great idea. Bastardfag you are the biggest joke I have came across in years. I highly doubt you have any useful connections in any industry.

I could have moved weight like most of my friends I grew up with currently make multiples of my salary tax free....oh wait, one problem...it's illegal.

bastardchild
01-15-2013, 11:52 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Ya OP, take this advice. Taking advice from known scammers and criminals is always a great idea. Bastardfag you are the biggest joke I have came across in years. I highly doubt you have any useful connections in any industry.

I could have moved weight like most of my friends I grew up with currently make multiples of my salary tax free....oh wait, one problem...it's illegal.

Yea you are definitely a credible source for information.

You are a stupid fool to think "moving weight" will get you a large sum of money. I make money every frickin second unlike an idiot drug dealer who has to slang all night long haha. When I wake up every morning I have recurring payments going to my PayPal account and all I did was go to sleep ahaha. Do you see drug dealers driving Ferrari's and Porsche's? :nut:

I have no high school diploma and I'm doing better than most people with PhD's. You keep talking about scams and BS yet in the fraud thread you and your homie Googe transform the thread to "oh hes still a scammer because he sells fake YT views" uhhh okay.

Did you notice how the owner of the site completely ignored your comment in the "Post your latest purchase" thread? You know that watch was 15k, so I would have to do a lot of scamming and fraud to buy that thing. That's fraud over $5000 which is a huge deal (felony), so you should definitely get police to come get me (googe managed to dig up all my info so its publicly available). Better get on that brah.

trieu
01-16-2013, 12:04 AM
bastardchild, what do you do if you don't mind me asking? I'm legitimately curious. To the OP, students in grad school do get higher loans than undergrad students. Not sure what it is for an MBA but you can find that info online.

edit: Here you go: http://studentaid.alberta.ca/before-you-apply/loan-limits/

shakalaka
01-16-2013, 12:08 AM
He makes youtube videos afaik.

Type_S1
01-16-2013, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by trieu
bastardchild, what do you do if you don't mind me asking? I'm legitimately curious. To the OP, students in grad school do get higher loans than undergrad students. Not sure what it is for an MBA but you can find that info online.

edit: Here you go: http://studentaid.alberta.ca/before-you-apply/loan-limits/

He sells fake youtube views to people who make youtube videos. Against all Youtube "rules". He also steals money from unsuspecting people by doing thing such as raising funding for fake video games, selling imaginary laptops and more.

Sorry to derail OP.

bastardchild
01-16-2013, 12:52 AM

He sells fake youtube views to people who make youtube videos. Against all Youtube "rules". He also steals money from unsuspecting people by doing thing such as raising funding for fake video games, selling imaginary laptops and more.

Sorry to derail OP.

Again more lies. Raising funding for fake video games? ahaha :rofl:

The semester has started, shouldn't you be studying for your midterms now?

My success is evident, you and your home boy Googe, not so much (a financed G37 isn't success). So OP if you want useless information, continue to take advise from these people instead of myself. I built myself from nothing and these peeps just love to hate, they even made fun of the low income apartments I grew up in.

You can call it "fake" YouTube views, blah blah blah, in the end you're nothing but a lame ass hater. I've gotten 4 (now very famous) Canadian artists huge record deals with UMG and other record giants. Inflating YT views does not hurt anybody, it creates careers for talented people. YouTube rules are bogus, its just Google wanting to make all the money using AdWords. Google is NOT the law, there is nothing criminal only in your stupid little head.

ducaudi
01-16-2013, 08:24 AM
Wow, this thread derailed. Let's get back on topic for OP. :dunno:

bjstare
01-16-2013, 08:32 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

You seem like a grounded, mature, nice guy.

LOL at "moved weight". You so gangsta.

woodywoodford
01-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Yup lol very derailed :hijack:

No problem though, I got my answer from trieu's link - can get loans up to $95,000 for an MBA, the rest would be easy enough to come up with

KRyn
01-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by cjblair

You seem like a grounded, mature, nice guy.

LOL at "moved weight". You so gangsta.

He did grow up in the slums of Calgary, give the guy some credit.

CLiVE
01-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by lint
Just saw this article pop up on LinkedIn
http://qz.com/42233/if-you-cant-get-into-a-top-five-mba-program-dont-even-bother/

I see their point of view. I'm a firm believer that an MBA is one of those designations that you get out of it...what you put into it. It wasn't rocket science, and more of a degree in time management at times. It does however give you the skills necessary to be able to be able to talk the talk, and understand the different needs of all areas of an organization - but does not make you an expert in all areas.

As for being 'useless' if you don't go to the right place. All depends why you are doing the MBA. I did mine out of interest as it closely complemented the strategy work I was doing at the time in my job.

If you're looking for just the letters after your name, or looking for a specific job in a specific industry (and need the MBA as a way in)the article might be right.

slinkie
01-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by bastardchild

Again more lies. Raising funding for fake video games? ahaha :rofl:

The semester has started, shouldn't you be studying for your midterms now?

My success is evident, you and your home boy Googe, not so much (a financed G37 isn't success). So OP if you want useless information, continue to take advise from these people instead of myself. I built myself from nothing and these peeps just love to hate, they even made fun of the low income apartments I grew up in.

You can call it "fake" YouTube views, blah blah blah, in the end you're nothing but a lame ass hater. I've gotten 4 (now very famous) Canadian artists huge record deals with UMG and other record giants. Inflating YT views does not hurt anybody, it creates careers for talented people. YouTube rules are bogus, its just Google wanting to make all the money using AdWords. Google is NOT the law, there is nothing criminal only in your stupid little head.

You're a joke lol

Disoblige
01-16-2013, 01:07 PM
I never seen someone so "successful", yet have to try to hard to impress people. I really don't get it.

I'm starting to think it's a mental issue now.

Every time this topic comes up, it reminds me of how bastardchild is so insecure about himself that he has to post under an alias saying he saw himself driving around town :rofl:

Super_Geo
01-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Every time this topic comes up, it reminds me of how bastardchild is so insecure about himself that he has to post under an alias saying he saw himself driving around town :rofl:

Ugh... Jesus is that ever sad. :(

shakalaka
01-16-2013, 01:40 PM
When was this? I have no idea?