PDA

View Full Version : Bcomm concentration questions

eggstatic
01-14-2013, 08:53 PM
So what are your majors and opinions/expectations for them?

Currently I'm in Accounting at haskayne but nothing is set in stone.

I was thinking about changing into petroleum land management or energy management but I have no idea what the difference is between those two, does anybody know?

Type_S1
01-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Energy Management - no real focus to the program. You take wishy washy courses to gain general knowledge on the O&G industry...about the same knowledge you can gain for working a few months. Some people who go through here go into O&G marketing or project management. Both of these you need to be very smart and connected to get into which most people from Haskayne are not. Not sure what else you can do with this degree but it is more of a general type thing. Allen Ingleson's course is awesome...I suggest taking it even if you don't go into this program.

Petroleum Land Management - Very specialized and focused on the Land portion of an exploration company. Companies need land to drill on and people in the land business focus on acquisition, divestiture and management of mineral rights.

eggstatic
01-14-2013, 09:09 PM
I figured there was something weird about enmg since the average salary is 65k, about 5 more than plma and 10k than the rest and nobody I know is taking it.

Do you have any idea at all how to get references from landmen to do the plma application?

Type_S1
01-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by eggstatic
I figured there was something weird about enmg since the average salary is 65k, about 5 more than plma and 10k than the rest and nobody I know is taking it.

Do you have any idea at all how to get references from landmen to do the plma application?

Yup...energy management kids bs about there salary for sure. They make nowhere near where they claim to out of school or only the ones that end up making 60k+ report the salary.

Talk to the career center, they should be able to help you. Or cold call companies and tell them you are looking to meet a landman to talk about the PLM program.

eggstatic
01-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1

Yup...energy management kids bs about there salary for sure. They make nowhere near where they claim to out of school or only the ones that end up making 60k+ report the salary.

Talk to the career center, they should be able to help you. Or cold call companies and tell them you are looking to meet a landman to talk about the PLM program.

That makes sense, Plma seems a lot more concrete than enmg
Yeah that's what I figured, good thing I already scheduled a meeting ;) haha
Thanks for the help man !