PDA

View Full Version : How to study for english 30-1 part b?

dap19
01-16-2013, 02:40 PM
I'm really stressing out. The exams on Monday, I wrote part a a few days ago and felt like I could have done waaay better. I really want to be prepared for part b but there are no old exams online and it's all multiple choice reading comprehension. What can I do to prepare for it?

Disoblige
01-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Think of how you are going to manage your time.
Read all the MC questions first, so you know in the back of your mind what they asked.

Do you know most of the terms used from what you were taught?
http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072405228/student_view0/poetic_glossary.html

If you don't understand the terms, you can't answer the question.

Bring a highlighter if you think it will help you. Sometimes the literature is a block of text and a highlighter helps.

Otherwise, relax and good luck.

Civic_Drift
01-16-2013, 09:51 PM
Perhaps buy the English 30-1 Key from Chapters? There's also ExamBank.

HiTempguy1
01-16-2013, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Otherwise, relax and good luck.

This. Because if you are stressing about english 30, son, I got news for ya...

But a big plus for the key book as well.

dandia89
01-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

This. Because if you are stressing about english 30, son, I got news for ya...

But a big plus for the key book as well.

maybe it was being it was a combination of immaturity and laziness in highschool but i found this test absurdly subjective. i never got over 60% on any past exams, and i took the diploma twice. It's definitely not an easy thing for some people

403ep3
01-16-2013, 11:41 PM
Wow, I'm not old or anything, but I don't remember this test at all :poosie:

dirtsniffer
01-17-2013, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by dandia89

maybe it was being it was a combination of immaturity and laziness in highschool but i found this test absurdly subjective. i never got over 60% on any past exams, and i took the diploma twice. It's definitely not an easy thing for some people

Haha oh ya. If it wasn't for the comprehension part I would have failed the course for sure. I think I received a 20% on the written portion.

ksb
01-17-2013, 12:18 AM
The truth is that there isn't really a lot you can do to prepare for this exam.

The only thing at this point you can really do is review all the terms that you have learned from grades 10-12 (paradox, juxtaposition, oxymoron, etc.). And even then, very little of the 70(?) questions will be based on this, so make sure you get all of them correct.

I know when I took the class my teacher gave us 3 actual previous tests which some what helped (to write in class because the tests are secured I think).

In my opinion, the English 30-1 part b exam is the only diploma that is a good indicator of knowledge, the others just involve practice/regurgitation. My teacher said that it is a good indicator of how well you will do in university.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

ksb
01-17-2013, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by dandia89

I agree with this. Out of the 4 choices, at least 2 (sometimes 3) of the choices will be "correct" but it is up to you to chose the answer that is "most correct".

jwslam
01-17-2013, 10:04 AM
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/109625_700b_v1.jpg

Disoblige
01-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Too bad you already finished your Part A, haha.
When I wrote my part A, my plan was to write a personal narrative about me coming to Canada somehow (even though I was born here). I always thought they would perhaps mark easier if they thought I was a FOB :rofl:

I was shocked to see I scored 98% on Part A. Rediculous, maybe I'm onto something? Haha
I took a lot of educated guesses for Part B, I was super surprised I got 90 on it. Again, so shocked.

pholai
01-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Too bad you already finished your Part A, haha.
When I wrote my part A, my plan was to write a personal narrative about me coming to Canada somehow (even though I was born here). I always thought they would perhaps mark easier if they thought I was a FOB :rofl:

I was shocked to see I scored 98% on Part A. Rediculous, maybe I'm onto something? Haha
I took a lot of educated guesses for Part B, I was super surprised I got 90 on it. Again, so shocked.

You Sir are a genius to get 90 on the written final.

Disoblige
01-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Isn't Part A written? I thought it was.
Either way, I was shocked at both grades :rofl: