PDA

View Full Version : Bites at Night

94CoRd
02-06-2013, 09:31 AM
So I woke up Sunday morning with what looked like a simple case of acne breakout - didn't think much of it. I woke up Monday morning with (what is pictured below) and serious pulses of pain flashing through my nerves where the 'bites' are, through my eye - down to my jaw. Maybe too many nature shows, but does Calgary have those poisonous sort of insects?

Today the pain has subsided, but still very tender where the bites are, and down through my jaw.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5927/imageeau.jpg

**Update: Just got back from the doctors office. Looks like a bout of shingles - which explains the pain in the jaw nerve, sores etc. He put me on some antivirals and some eye-drops in case it gets there - it's moved on to my eye lid now. :banghead:

heavyfuel
02-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Shit that's crazy... I only see one puncture in that biggest one, indicating a sting rather than a bite but who knows... I deal with bed bugs and the their victims on a semi-regular basis as part of my work and this looks nothing like it, which is a good thing. I'd hate to suggest it was a wasp this time of year but the puncture plus the other symptoms sure sounds like it. Good luck, I hope it's nothing serious.

JRSC00LUDE
02-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Bites almost always have two puncture marks, I do not believe you are dealing with bites.....interesting, let us know. :confused:

Tik-Tok
02-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Been travelling lately? Looks like bed-bug bites. Good luck with that.

94CoRd
02-06-2013, 11:25 AM
No traveling lately, and I do not believe they are bed bugs. Looking around, it seems like bed bugs are flat along the skin surface - not raised bumps. The one puncture also throws me off - my thoughts is spiders would definitely leave two.

chathamf
02-06-2013, 11:35 AM
fleas?

94CoRd
02-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by chathamf
fleas?

Do fleas leave this kind of damage?

My girlfriend started having the same bumps - random over her body, soon after we brought some kittens home from her family's farm.

Her bumps are itchy (no pain) but the cats don't scratch or seem irritated by anything.

flipstah
02-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Long shot but...

You're not allergic to bees, are you?

Disoblige
02-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Haha, I think a bee sting would fuck him up worse than that if he was allergic. That and do bees even exist in February here?!

flipstah
02-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Haha, I think a bee sting would fuck him up worse than that if he was allergic. That and do bees even exist in February here?!

Hence, it was a long shot! Either that or wasps.

... You don't have a roommate that loves needles, right? :rofl:

94CoRd
02-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Hence, it was a long shot! Either that or wasps.

... You don't have a roommate that loves needles, right? :rofl:

Pretty sure the lady isn't on smack, I'll keep an eye out though.

As for the bee's, I haven't seen or heard any around the house, and I am not allergic to them - been stung plenty of times before.

flipstah
02-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by 94CoRd

My girlfriend started having the same bumps - random over her body, soon after we brought some kittens home from her family's farm.

Her bumps are itchy (no pain) but the cats don't scratch or seem irritated by anything.

Oh snap, I overlooked this.

It could be a parasite from the farm. Ticks, maybe?

Weapon_R
02-06-2013, 12:35 PM
I don't know what would puncture your skin, but the three bites in a row have characteristics of a bedbug problem.

flipstah
02-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Since when did Beyond become WebMD?

DeleriousZ
02-06-2013, 12:36 PM
The big one kind of looks like a spider bite, but the rest are characteristic of bed bugs.

xolemonteaox
02-06-2013, 12:39 PM

Her bumps are itchy (no pain) but the cats don't scratch or seem irritated by anything. Fleas can leave this kind of damage. I don't know about the pain shooting down your jaw, but the itchy-ness with no pain sounds like fleas.

94CoRd
02-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Since when did Beyond become WebMD?

Since WebMD somehow always includes cancer in your diagnosis..

Originally posted by DeleriousZ
The big one kind of looks like a spider bite, but the rest are characteristic of bed bugs.

I kind of thought so as well, however my girlfriend will have one bite on her leg, then another on her arm. Not the standard 3 in a row of a bedbug.

It's definitely hard to pin on one thing over another, as the characteristics seem to cover such a wide spectrum of bites

desto2para
02-06-2013, 12:57 PM
You don't necessary have to be traveling to get bed bugs, there's been some cases where people get them on the trains, buses, ect...
I've had the same symptoms before as well, and it was bed bugs.

chathamf
02-06-2013, 02:12 PM

My girlfriend is especially bothered by fleas, myself they do nothing to me. Anyways, my mother had a flea problem lately and we must have brought some home because my girlfriend started to get eaten like crazy by them. She got big welts in some places, pretty similar to the ones in the pictures.

roll_over
02-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus

maybe

Herpes zoster

Been working out?

Nitrogen trichloride

I think you need whats called a biopsy

Red@8
02-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by roll_over
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus

Herpes zoster

I think you need whats called a biopsy

^ Unlikely for all of the above.

I am going to hypothesize bed bug bites. The pattern would suggest as such. Some people get itchy from them and some dont. Well as some are painful and some arent. This is vague but fits with your (and your gf symptoms). Also in some cases bed bug bites wont physically appear for a few days after your bitten. So the place you just came back from may have had them (and now you may as well). Regardless a trip to your physician should hopefully provide you with some answers.

Kijho
02-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Spider's - honestly, I don't think we have any deadly poisonous spiders here, but there are spiders EVERYWHERE. Especially under shit - in your closet, shit under your bed, linens etc.
Woke up in the middle of the night last summer with the most horrific pain in my hand. Half asleep and completely out of it, I awkwardly stood in the washroom pissing at 4am.

As I quickly washed my hands, I immediately felt my whole entire hand completely numb. Weirdest feeling in the entire world. I freaked the fuck out - ended up in the ER for 8 hours that night, I had NO idea what was wrong until arriving. After about the 6th hour of being in the Emergency room waiting at what seemed to be the lowest priority - I got up and asked the nurse if I should stick around and wait or if I should just head home, as I was getting tired and I knew the GF was too.

Anyways, nurse basically said no, don't leave, absolutely not - it looked to be a spider bite to her and it definitely should be looked at - although not poisionous, every person can react different to simple bites or stings.

Doctor basically told me it looked like a spider - nothing crazy, gave me a prescription of some crazy drug to take ONLY if the "numbness" began to go against gravity (eg. UP my arm)

Couple day's passed and it was gone. I started looking shit up on Google after and fuck... Do NOT start researching on Google about this kinda shit. I hate spiders.

The shitty cell phone pic doesn't look merely as bad as it was.

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/316139_10150350076435309_2475771_n.jpg