PDA

View Full Version : weight training routine questions

genesis0403
02-06-2013, 02:36 PM
So i have a question to some of you.
I'm currently weight training 3 times a week right now.
My routines currently are:

day 1:
chest, bicep,, tricep

day 2:
shoulder, back

day 3:
legs, abs

I was wondering if it would be better to do the following:

Week 1:
-day 1: chest
-day 2: bicep
-day 3: tricep

Week 2:
-day 1 shoulder
-day 2: back, abs
-day 3: legs

so increasing intensity while dividing the training in 2 weeks instead of 1 week and shortening training duration to 40 or 50 minutes.

Thoughts?

403ep3
02-06-2013, 02:58 PM
You definitely need to be doing legs more than once every two weeks unless you wanna be TOP heavy! The way you're doing everything now is a lot better than splitting it up over two weeks.

Mitsu3000gt
02-06-2013, 03:14 PM
You might try something like the 5X5 program instead. I've been doing it for a couple weeks now, and based on how it's kicking my ass, it is working very well. It works every muscle you listed in one 45 min workout, 3 times a week and is a very proven system.

I used to split everything up like you are currently, and I've never felt like I was doing more work at the gym than I do now. I wish I would have learned about this program sooner, it's so simple, and seemingly very effective.

schocker
02-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3
You definitely need to be doing legs more than once every two weeks unless you wanna be TOP heavy! The way you're doing everything now is a lot better than splitting it up over two weeks.
I agree with 403, he does legs every day! :rofl:
I use this workout
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dorian-yates-blood-guts-6-week-trainer.htm

Since the rests are quite short, without cardio, I can be in and out in under 30mins usually at four times per week.

scboss
02-07-2013, 02:17 AM
Yeah your legs should always be number one priority

Day 1
Squat Variation
Dead Variation
2x Chest Variation
2x Row Variation

Day2
Squat Variation
Dead Acc mvmnt
2x bis
2xx tri

Day 3
Squat Variation
Dead variation
x2 Pullup Variation
x2 Shoulder Variation

I used to do stupid splits before. When only training 3x per week try to hit almost full body everytime. Just my 2cents

genesis0403
02-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Alright so i guess squat every time I go now.
So warcaster according to that routine, the workouts should be all core workouts right? (squat, deadlift, bench press, shoulder press etc)

scboss
02-08-2013, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by genesis0403
Alright so i guess squat every time I go now.
So warcaster according to that routine, the workouts should be all core workouts right? (squat, deadlift, bench press, shoulder press etc)

Yeah bro especially if your only working out 3x a week. The only time I would ever do a BB split is when you can dedicate at least 5 days.

Don't forget Cardio to lol

genesis0403
02-08-2013, 12:48 AM
yea lol. I do cardio all 3 days.
Thanks for the advice! appreciate it!

A790
02-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by warcaster

Yeah bro especially if your only working out 3x a week. The only time I would ever do a BB split is when you can dedicate at least 5 days.
And after you know how your body responds to lifts, how to diet properly to achieve results, etc.

403ep3
02-08-2013, 10:12 AM
I used to do splits back in the day when I was in high school and a couple years after. It took awhile to gather strength and I ended up being TOP heavy. I realized that working on your legs and having less isolation workouts is better for having a better proportioned body (figure).

A790
02-08-2013, 10:40 AM
OP, what's your objective? Strength? Size? Appearance?

Different goals would call for a different routine/diet combination.

genesis0403
02-09-2013, 03:45 AM
I'm currently looking into more lean muscle build. I have done bulking before and even after I lose 3 kg recently, I'm still bigger than the average asian male... I do watch my diet though, stilll eating enough but just no junk food and rather healthy snacking

A790
02-09-2013, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by genesis0403
I'm currently looking into more lean muscle build. I have done bulking before and even after I lose 3 kg recently, I'm still bigger than the average asian male... I do watch my diet though, stilll eating enough but just no junk food and rather healthy snacking
Get into a starting strength routine for a bit. Build some familiarity with the lifts and schedule. Use your core lifts to build strength and your accessories to focus on hypertrophy.

Tej.S
02-13-2013, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by A790

Get into a starting strength routine for a bit. Build some familiarity with the lifts and schedule. Use your core lifts to build strength and your accessories to focus on hypertrophy.

This. Remember though, if your diet is sh*t, you won't have much progress.