PDA

View Full Version : Private School - Edison ? Any Experience ?

sillysod
03-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Since this is the parenting forum I will post my question here.

We are looking to send my son to a private school next year (grade 1) and I have gone to Green Learning but also am interested in Edison in Okotoks.

Wondering if anyone on here has any experience with it.

03ozwhip
03-07-2013, 03:32 PM
can i ask why it is that you are sending him to a private school and not public? i want to hear different views from different people on this and since i dont know anyone sending their kids to private school, and you posted this, i thought id ask.

SOAB
03-07-2013, 03:35 PM
my kids will be ready for school in a few years and i would prefer a charter school as well. main thing is for me is dress code. the less they worry about what brand they're wearing, what their friends are wearing, etc. the more they can concentrate on school stuff.

sillysod
03-07-2013, 03:41 PM
IMO Private school gives kids a lot of advantages. Speaking from personal experience.

1st) You actually pay a fair amount of money for them to go so if there is a problem with either your kid or the teachers it is in everyones interest to get it resolved. Lazy teachers don't generally last in these situations because the parents get angry about spending lots of money and not getting what they paid for.

If your kid is not behaving the school will kick him/her out and you as the parent are out thousands of dollars in tuition, so again the parents generally will try to solve the problem.

In the public school there isn't much you can do about shitty kids, shitty parents and shitty teachers.

2nd) Contacts. Most of the kids I went to school with all came from families with businesses and a little bit of money. As dumb as it sounds when you have buddies that's parents own companies or have respected positions at large companies it opens a lot of doors for you as a graduate.

The downside of private school IMO is that you pay a lot of money for advanced coloring classes. :D

For jr. high and high school I will be sending him to WIC but they don't have a program for kindergarten and I don't want to spend $15,000/yr for a 6yr old to go to school.

I really want him to be able to experience "Class Afloat" so that is one of the main reasons for W.I.C. in High School.

The school offers a program known as Class Afloat that provides students with an educational experience while sailing around the world. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Island_College)

Myrrinda
03-07-2013, 03:43 PM
I would personally want to send my kids to private school because they are typically ranked higher than public schools.

http://alberta.compareschoolrankings.org/high/SchoolsByRankLocationName.aspx

Do private schools still make girls wear skirts? I find that so cruel. I would hate to send my daughter to school in the dead of winter in a skirt.

cycosis
03-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Being that I went from 7-12 in private school I will honestly tell you that if it wernt for the small class sizes (25-30 tops) and the dedication of the faculty, I would never have got into post secondary.

max_boost
03-07-2013, 03:59 PM
The one thing I constantly hear about is networking.

VWEvo
03-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
The one thing I constantly hear about is networking.

I've never thought about it specifically, but it is incredible whom some of the parents in my sons class are.

My son goes to private school, he thrives and does well in that environment. I'm not suggesting he wouldn't be successful in public, but I'm happy with his education and his progression. I have no regrets putting him in at Weber Academy.

03ozwhip
03-07-2013, 04:05 PM
i do agree with the whole "its who you know" idea so i totally understand that, as im sure the kids parents have money and/or some sort of business and eventually it could lead to potentially better things, but the same can happen for public too.

small class sizes 25-30? thats normal in a public school, ive never seen more than that. i dont get the notion of kids wearing a uniform, since they wont be wearing a uniform while hanging out after school, so that doesnt make sense.

what im getting at is what is different than a public school for that much more money other than the *possibility* of your kid getting into a better job by knowing someone?

CapnCrunch
03-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by SOAB
my kids will be ready for school in a few years and i would prefer a charter school as well. main thing is for me is dress code. the less they worry about what brand they're wearing, what their friends are wearing, etc. the more they can concentrate on school stuff.

For the cost of private school, you could put you kids in public school and dress them in solid gold robes lol.

woodywoodford
03-07-2013, 04:29 PM
I'll use an extreme example, but this is the way I see it- I'd rather my kid hangs around the "groomed to take over dads company" type than the "dad walked out, mom sells weed out the kitchen" type. Take your pick where you're more likely to find each kind...

Masked Bandit
03-07-2013, 04:59 PM
So for grades 1-6, what are some loose, ballpark numbers with respect to cost for an average private school?

SOAB
03-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

For the cost of private school, you could put you kids in public school and dress them in solid gold robes lol.

if you do a little research, there are "alternative learning" schools that are still funded by the public system but have different rules and teaching strategies than a regular "public" school. one of these things is a dress code. it puts all the kids on a equal standing right from the start IMO.

it may cost a little more per year than a regular school but not $15k per year...

one of my friends has a daughter that started kindergarten this year and on her second day, the kids were making fun of her clothing... :thumbsdow she already didn't want to go back after 2 days of school???

roopi
03-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
So for grades 1-6, what are some loose, ballpark numbers with respect to cost for an average private school?

http://www.webberacademy.ca/files/2013-14%20Fee%20Structure.pdf

tirebob
03-07-2013, 05:07 PM
I have a few buddies that went through private schools and every one of them says the same thing. The classes are smaller so you get a bit more attention, but other than that, when it comes to doing well it really comes down more to parenting than the school. They also said that if you are in private school and not already "well to do", the connections thing means jack usually. They kids that already elitist will still be elitist and the kids that come from families where dad works 3 menial jobs to send there kids to private schools end up not being truely accepted into the club anyways...

That and they all said that while kids in public school end up weed heads, private school kids do more blow... lol

msommers
03-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Sounds like some of the kids I've met from Springbank :rofl:

Getting made fun of in school is just part of growing up. I was consistently the shortest guy in my classes in elementary and we only had 100 kids in the entire school. In fact our school was so small when the busing system left that we were forced to have split classes to make it work. It's now a fine-arts school with a waiting list - not sure if it's public or converted private.

max_boost
03-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Kids are cruel. Getting made fun of a bit builds character (I hope!).

sillysod
03-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
i do agree with the whole "its who you know" idea so i totally understand that, as im sure the kids parents have money and/or some sort of business and eventually it could lead to potentially better things, but the same can happen for public too.

Yes, but it's not the same ratio. There is really no way you can have a decent life and send your kids to private school making less than $150k a year.

Originally posted by tirebob
I have a few buddies that went through private schools and every one of them says the same thing. The classes are smaller so you get a bit more attention, but other than that, when it comes to doing well it really comes down more to parenting than the school. They also said that if you are in private school and not already "well to do", the connections thing means jack usually. They kids that already elitist will still be elitist and the kids that come from families where dad works 3 menial jobs to send there kids to private schools end up not being truely accepted into the club anyways...

That and they all said that while kids in public school end up weed heads, private school kids do more blow... lol

Yes there definitely is a difference between kids whos families own a car dealership and someone whos dad owns an oil company. But that's the way life works in the real world too.

The truth is too if you have a shitty kid whos parents are loaded and the school for whatever reason won't kick the kid out the entire grade can suffer. I grew up in Pump Hill and saw some pretty crazy spoiled kids there. One neighbour got a 911 turbo for his 16th birthday so the neighbour across the street got a new Viper on his 16th to "keep up".

I on the other hand took the bus all winter so I could save for insurance and drive in the summer. I never got given anything but the contacts still stick and all in all it works out a lot better for me than it will for my son growing up in McKenzie Towne (where we live now) and going to school there.

I think that McKenzie Towne has to be the worst too because you have kids from rental duplexes going to school with the Estate kids on the water.

But back on topic... I am guessing nobody here has experience with Edison.

spiceboy
03-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo
I have no regrets putting him in at Weber Academy.
What grade is your son in? So the cost is completely justified?

sillysod
03-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

$8,000 - $16,000 typically. But there are still probably another $1000 or $2000 in additional things that come up throught the year.

autosm
03-07-2013, 05:34 PM
We looked at this issue closely. The private school we looked at would not accept a child that was less than a certain age on the first day of school.

This age was higher than the public school requirement by quite a bit.

We held our child back a year so instead of being one of the youngest in the class she is one of the oldest. I feel this is a reason for the higher success rates of private schools.

She has class mates that are 15 months younger than her but she is not the oldest in her class.

Being a bit older than your class mates in all levels of school is a huge advantage.

hampstor
03-07-2013, 05:34 PM
I think I have an old coworker who has his kids at either Edison, or FFCA . I can't recall which because he was talking about private v. charter (FFCA is a
charter). I'll check and let you know if it was Edison.

I've considered private school and charter schools for a while now for my kids. Fundamentally for me, it comes down to public schools don't teach kids about excellence anymore. It appears to me that in public schools it's about the effort and not the result. In the real world, results matter and effort means next to nothing.

I hope what my kids learns from us at home is enough - I wish it would be reinforced in the public school system.

Unfortunately the reality is that wait lists for most charter schools are long enough your child will likely never get in (even if you apply the day they are born), and private schools are just too much for me.

sillysod
03-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
I think I have an old coworker who has his kids at either Edison, or FFCA . I can't recall which because he was talking about private v. charter (FFCA is a charter). I'll check and let you know if it was Edison.

Thank you Hamstor I would really appreciate it.

-SS

magicmario
03-07-2013, 07:00 PM
I grew up in okotoks and went to the public schools there and i turned pretty good. When i was there the teachers had their hands full in the primary grades with some students.FYI Since most parents work in Calgary the kids could do what they want from the time school ended to when they got home. It lead to some problems in the teenage years haha

I knew people who both went to Edison and Strathcona Tweedsmuir. The edison school is really small and really personal which is good if thats what you want. They have a really nice gym though for the size of the school. Plus if you want your kid to play sports throughout school you are pretty much guaranteed to make the school team haha.

If you want the good family contacts for when your kids are older enroll them in Strathcona. There is a lot of money in that school.

T-Dubbs
03-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by cycosis
Being that I went from 7-12 in private school I will honestly tell you that if it wernt for the small class sizes (25-30 tops) and the dedication of the faculty, I would never have got into post secondary.
+1

bignerd
03-07-2013, 07:32 PM
I'm confused because one of the private schools mentioned is number four yet Sir Winston Churchill (public if I recall) is number 8?

I don't know that private school at a young age is of much benefit. I could see it doing more at the Jr high and high school ages. At least for me I know I did the most goofing off/drugs/bad marks in high school.

I also think it makes a difference what province you are in too, schools here suck compared to BC.

sillysod
03-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by magicmario

If you want the good family contacts for when your kids are older enroll them in Strathcona. There is a lot of money in that school.

Yeah for Jr. High or High school for sure, but I have a hard time paying $17k to color triangles at this stage.

Originally posted by bignerd
I don't know that private school at a young age is of much benefit.

I think the difference is the friends. My son is in Kindergarten at McKenzie Towne school and he has already learned the words "fuck" and "cunt". Obviously people around here use that kind of language around their kids. Grade 2 or 3 okay I suppose but Kindergarten?

Lots of really shitty families in these schools.

xnvy
03-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Hey Sillysod, if you have any questions about Edison feel free to PM me about it. I attended from Grade 7 to 12 and am currently 1st year University so I think I can answer some of your questions.

The small class sizes of Edison (My grad class was 6 students) are easily the biggest selling point of the school. I'm a bit biased but I give the school a big :thumbsup: especially in comparison to HTA or The Comp.

hampstor
03-07-2013, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by sillysod

Thank you Hamstor I would really appreciate it.

-SS

sorry I checked and it was FFCA, not Edison.

sillysod
03-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Thanks or trying :)

xnvy what were the teachers like as a rule? Super strict old private school type or more interactive and flexible?

I did find out that they sure seem to be hard into badminton there from what I read online.

4doorj
03-08-2013, 09:23 AM

Yeah for Jr. High or High school for sure, but I have a hard time paying $17k to color triangles at this stage.

I think the difference is the friends. My son is in Kindergarten at McKenzie Towne school and he has already learned the words "fuck" and "cunt". Obviously people around here use that kind of language around their kids. Grade 2 or 3 okay I suppose but Kindergarten?

Lots of really shitty families in these schools.
My kids will be going to st albert the great in mckenzie towne. I hope my kids don't have a bad group of friends haha My daughter starts next year.

My brother is always saying the mckenzie area will be the next ghetto because of all the rentals and cheap housing. But I keep denying it hahaha

xnvy
03-08-2013, 10:46 AM

xnvy what were the teachers like as a rule? Super strict old private school type or more interactive and flexible?

I did find out that they sure seem to be hard into badminton there from what I read online. The teachers were incredibly flexible, even the subs. Because of the small class sizes they usually had no trouble accommodating students who wanted extra help in their subjects or anything. They were also very interactive both which each other (it was fun seeing the pranks or jokes they would occasionally pull on each other) and the students to the point that even though I've graduated I (and other graduated students) still keep I touch with some of the teachers. The atmosphere of the school is wonderful, because of the size it doesn't feel like a school, more like a big family type thing, everybody was friends with everyone and often some of the parents. Speaking of parents, a lot of parents volunteer there and help out with a tickets which just adds to the family-like atmosphere.

As for badminton, yep, definitely hardcore into it. Our zone is always third, (rarely 2nd) in provincials behind Calgary and Edmonton. In fact, the students who go to provincials are always either Edison students or former Edison students but there are other sports they do. Basketball, flag football, golf, cross-country, and track and field competitions are available to compete in. Floor hockey was also very big there, the upper school kids played every Tuesday and Thursday with the occasional middle school students but usually always with teachers from other schools (i.e. Lower and middle) as well. As a side note, there is basically no way of NOT making it onto the sports team of your choice because there are so few kids. Participation in badminton divisions isn't mandatory (I say out grade 11) but most, if not all kids participate anyway.

SOAB
03-08-2013, 10:47 AM

I did find out that they sure seem to be hard into badminton there from what I read online.

dunno about the teachers but they do have an awesome dedicated badminton facility. also the coach is a former world champion.

Destinova403
03-08-2013, 11:38 AM
I graduated from WIC myself, the international studies and travel studies programs were excellent from experience.

IIRC The teachers are all on yearly contracts and their grades/results are closely monitored. If the teachers don't make the grade they don't have a job the next year its that simple. So I think its relatively safe to say that the quality of teaching is better in most private schools than public schools.

Personally I wouldn't really want to send my kids to private school when they are younger, but for High school it makes sense. Every single student in my graduating class made it into post secondary and did very well in their studies. The program was designed as a university prep program and I think this gave a lot of us a huge advantage in furthering our studies.

uv1569
03-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Private schools= sheltered, naive and get a severe kick in the ass when they go to get real jobs and post secondary

Best way to combat that is to make sure they are involved with sports and other activities, having friends outside of the school and 100% staying the fuck out of school politics.. Oh in every school there is a heirarcy of parents that run the show.. cross one of them and you wish you didnt blow 10k on that school

xnvy
03-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by uv1569
Private schools= sheltered, naive and get a severe kick in the ass when they go to get real jobs and post secondary

Best way to combat that is to make sure they are involved with sports and other activities, having friends outside of the school and 100% staying the fuck out of school politics.. Oh in every school there is a heirarcy of parents that run the show.. cross one of them and you wish you didnt blow 10k on that school

Have you actually dealt with a private school? There isn't anything all that sheltered about them. There is less bullying (basically nonexistent at Edison due to its small size) but it's not like you don't get any exposure to the realities of the outside world.

cancer man
03-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Nice uniforms.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p175/dogman8018/privateschooledinburgh_zpsbb6b3fb7.jpg

st184
03-10-2013, 12:28 AM
I went there and loved it. I initially started out at HTA public school but my parents switched me over after a few incidents I had with unsavory kids. Edison won't offer much in the way of better learning opportunities for your kid aside from smaller class sizes. What it will offer is a much safer and drug free learning environment mixed with networking opportunities. The owners, Mr. And Mrs. Chernoff are excellent and very caring when it comes to their students progress and achievement. I would definitely recommend Edison for the later teenage years of development where peer pressure comes into play.

spiceboy
03-11-2013, 09:52 AM
I agree that the price is steep to send your kids to private school for Kindergarten at $15000/year, but do you guys realize that if private school is ever in your consideration in higher grades (junior/senior high school), it's very very hard to put your foot in the door even when you are financially capable, and/or your kid is ready?
Take these into account:
1) private schools like to keep their class sizes small
2) dropout rate is relatively low
3) siblings of enrolled students have first dips of available spots
4) children of staff also have first dips of available spots
5) kids who want to enter in jr/sr high requires aptitude tests and generally they are expecting 75-80% and above for entry requirements

It's much easier to start your kids EARLY in Kindergarten as there are more spots opened and less stringent entry requirements. If you ever consider private schools as an option for your kids, might as well start them early and they can adapt to the different (vs public) learning environment.

Switching from public to private, or vice versa, could be disastrous for the kids.

sillysod
03-14-2013, 07:55 AM
Thanks everybody. Went and saw "Head Mistress" Chernoff and did the school tour.

Small but very nice facility. Super clean and the kids seemed really well behaved with good manners. 99% sure we are going to pull the trigger on this because so far it's the best school we've looked at.

One other quick question. What is the hot lunch program like? I know they have a cook that makes hot lunches you can opt in / out of but she wasn't there when we went yesterday. Is it just warmed up Costco type dishes or does she actually make home made style lunches.

xnvy
03-14-2013, 05:36 PM
^Homemade style.

R-Audi
03-15-2013, 09:19 AM
After two different schools for grade 10 and 11 (didnt get kicked out or anything, I was in Notre Dame in Saskatchewan for grade 10, didnt want to go back and went to Grandin for 11.) I went to WIC for grade 12 because my grades were poor, and needed a bit more help.

Didnt really know what to expect, and admittedly had my back up at the start. After a few months, I really found myself enjoying it. Small class sizes were great, I found the teachers actually cared and for the most part all the students were extremely nice. The extra programs they offered were excellent (outdoor ed, Class a float) and they really encouraged you to do your best in everything. At first I thought it would be extremely snobby, but with everyone in the same clothes/uniforms, you felt a lot more equal then you would have at a public school.

If I can afford it, my kids will be going there for Jr High & High school. With Universities looking at grades from 10-12 now, I feel that this would give my kids the best chance at getting into the school of their choice.

rethu
03-18-2013, 06:39 AM
Thanks for sharing

sillysod
06-18-2013, 08:46 AM
Okay quick question.

I need to get my son a badminton racquet for this school. What kind of stuff do the other kids usually use in grade 1?

I am thinking of just a cheap $50 one from Sport Check as he is just 6 yrs old and will probably wreck it. If not what would be a good one for him?

I don't know anything about badminton so hopefully some people on here have some ideas.

G
06-18-2013, 08:51 AM
Okay quick question.

I need to get my son a badminton racquet for this school. What kind of stuff do the other kids usually use in grade 1?

I am thinking of just a cheap $50 one from Sport Check as he is just 6 yrs old and will probably wreck it. If not what would be a good one for him?

I don't know anything about badminton so hopefully some people on here have some ideas.

If you're Chinese get the very best even if he can't play else just get a cheapo one from sport mart/chek. My coworker always ask my why Chinese people have the best golf clubs and gear but play like crap.

genesis0403
06-18-2013, 10:16 AM
don't get cheap ones.. I remember when I played badminton in school, my racket flew out hit my partner's shoulder lol

dirtsniffer
06-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Don't buy your six year old a 50 dollar racket. buy him the cheapest piece of crap

jwslam
06-18-2013, 10:45 AM
Okay quick question.

http://www.sportchek.ca/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3758102&s=A-StorePrice-SPCK

Yonex is the biggest name in badminton. Their products are pretty solid. Go for a "one piece" for light-weight. (watch vid)There also exist junior rackets (signficantly shorter for kids but has the same face size). I don't know if you can buy these locally.
http://www.badmintonalley.com/Yonex_Muscle_Power_2_Junior_MP2Jr_2012_Badminton_p/racket-yonex-mp2jr-2012.htm

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/453963274/-font-b-Badminton-b-font-font-b-badminton-b-font-font-b-rackets-b-font.jpg versus http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/photos/product/giant/4782420S175976/-/size-os.jpg
Z6UqPk10oEw

sputnik
06-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
Don't buy your six year old a 50 dollar racket. buy him the cheapest piece of crap

You spend how much putting your kid in that school and they can't afford a couple dozen badminton rackets for gym class?

max_boost
06-18-2013, 10:51 AM
The $50 Yonex muscle power ones at Sport chek are actually quite decent. I don't know if it really matters for a 6 year old though lol

jwslam
06-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
The $50 Yonex muscle power ones at Sport chek are actually quite decent. I don't know if it really matters for a 6 year old though lol
Where's the part where you say the kid should play hockey instead?

SOAB
06-18-2013, 11:02 AM
i bought my kids a $20 Yonex racket that has a shorter shaft and smaller handle made for kids. try and find one of those.

i would not spend more than $50 for something they may not even like in the first place, although if my kids didn't like badminton, i would question their heritage :D

sillysod
06-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, I will go to sport check and get him a Yonex one.

SOAB
06-18-2013, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

Z6UqPk10oEw

omg, this guy claims to be a coach for 15 years? :rofl:

i could've kicked his ass when i was 12. :whipped:

jwslam
06-19-2013, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by SOAB
omg, this guy claims to be a coach for 15 years? :rofl:

i could've kicked his ass when i was 12. :whipped:
LOLOLOLOL
I didn't even watch the video. Yea I can beat him left handed with an eyepatch on.

It's actually impossible NOT to pass the coaching course for Badminton Alberta. Pretty much anyone here can also call themselves a coach.

Cos
03-31-2015, 12:55 PM

sputnik
03-31-2015, 02:46 PM
edit - stupid bump

SOAB
03-31-2015, 03:25 PM
an update from sillysod would be nice. how does your kid like it at that school? are they good at badminton yet? haha.

xnvy
03-31-2015, 03:28 PM
Yeah, who teaches there now? All my favourite high school teachers from there are gone :(
Does Billy still teach badminton?

cancer man
04-01-2015, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by xnvy
Yeah, who teaches there now? All my favourite high school teachers from there are gone :(
Does Billy still teach badminton?

I think Billy fell into the well and Lassie is dead so no one can find him.

Masked Bandit
04-01-2015, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Interesting study came out so I wanted to share. This backs up another story about schools in Detroit, that it isnt the schools that are better it is the kids who go there. If you want more for your child chances are you're going to nurture them and teach them more at home too.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/private-school-success-due-to-better-students-not-better-schools-statscan-says-1.3016123?cmp=rss

In other news, water is STILL wet.

lol

That's not an attack on you Cos, it just seems pretty common sense. I hate when media takes something obvious like this and all of a sudden it's "news". Who paid for a study on this when the outcome was already known by most reasonable people?

I still think private school provides long term advantages to the students though just because of the childhood friendships formed. When the guy you went to grade school with is the CEO of Enmax 25 years later, it's probably easier for you to get in / move up the ladder yourself.

Cos
04-01-2015, 07:37 AM

SkiBum5.0
04-01-2015, 10:46 AM
This may have been mentioned but the whole "smaller class size" argument suffers from the law of diminished returns. If anyone has read Malcom Gladwell's books (I think it is Blink or David versis Goliath) he studies this in depth. Any class size below 20-24 actually hurts a child's development because they aren't exposed to differing opinions. If the size is too small, you will have too large a group of "agree'ers."

He also says that anything above 28 will have the reverse effect where there are too many views, and it cannot be controlled.

Just some food for thought.

sputnik
04-01-2015, 12:44 PM
In Manitoba public school class sizes are being capped at 20 kids starting in 2016, however even now the class sizes are kept small so that they don't have to do too much work moving kids around when the cap is officially in place.

Cos
04-01-2015, 01:11 PM

Tik-Tok
04-01-2015, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
In Manitoba public school class sizes are being capped at 20 kids starting in 2016, however even now the class sizes are kept small so that they don't have to do too much work moving kids around when the cap is officially in place.

That's a great idea. When I read this...

Originally posted by cycosis
small class sizes (25-30 tops)

I had to look twice. I didn't go to school here in Calgary, but back home I think the most kids I ever had in class (public), was like 23.

sputnik
04-01-2015, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Holy hell, my wife has 45 (23 morning and 22 afternoon) for kindergarten. 20 would be so much more manageable with field trips, report cards, any kids with IPP's, etc.

My son's kindergarten class is 18 and there is only a morning class because his school is only one class per grade.

So he will probably have the same classmates from K-6 aside from the kids who move away or new kids that come in and top the class at 20.

ExtraSlow
04-01-2015, 02:01 PM
Inner city, fuck yeah.

sheik_yerbouti
04-01-2015, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

My son's kindergarten class is 18 and there is only a morning class because his school is only one class per grade.

So he will probably have the same classmates from K-6 aside from the kids who move away or new kids that come in and top the class at 20.

This is what's awesome about older schools in older neighbourhoods. The Catholic ones are even crazier where the same kids go to school together from K-9 in a small school.