PDA

View Full Version : Nissan Frontier Pro 4-X?

Cos
03-18-2013, 07:10 PM

Sugarphreak
03-18-2013, 07:45 PM

Cos
03-18-2013, 07:50 PM

Sugarphreak
03-18-2013, 08:04 PM

93VR6
03-18-2013, 08:05 PM
I have a pro 4x Xterra, basically the same thing.

I like it generally, it's very basic inside, the stereo is pretty good, it's shitty on gas though, I get about 14l/100 on the highway.

Kona9
03-18-2013, 08:22 PM
I just sold my Frontier Pro4x not long ago. I loved it! I would definitely buy another. I picked up a used Tacoma for the time being while I save for a house, but in all, I have had an 05 Frontier LE Crew, an 06 X-Terra Off Road, and an 09 Frontier Pro 4X crew. Great trucks! I recommend Brasso Nissan as a top notch dealer as well.

jsn
03-18-2013, 08:41 PM
I've been driving mine for over a year now. It's close to 95000kms and no major issues so far. Definitely better deals on the frontier than the tacoma which is one of the reasons I went with the frontier. Also, the pro4x(mines nismo) came with a great factory sound system which i love:thumbsup:

msommers
03-18-2013, 09:22 PM
The frontier and Tacoma were the only two trucks I actually found enjoyable to drive when I was in my truck seeking days. I nearly pulled the trigger on a frontier actually. I know the xterras had some rear diff clunk but that was awhile ago when I was researching so maybe the newer ones are fixed.

Cos
03-19-2013, 07:37 AM

spikerS
03-19-2013, 07:54 AM
Cos! say it ain't so! you need to keep your F150! Don't give in to the dark side!

sillysod
03-19-2013, 08:23 AM
I have one, do yourself a favor and just stick with 1/2 tons.

The truck is pretty useless and the Nissan paint is probably the worst paint I have ever seen on anything.

Mechanically its pretty sound, but the interior is horrible and turning radius is bigger than a bus.

I thought it would be nice to get something a little bit smaller than a 1/2 ton but not as small as a Ranger so I went this route. We have a new Ranger at the shop too and I have to say that it is 10x the truck that this thing is.

Proyecto2000
03-19-2013, 09:13 AM
I have an 09 Pro-4X and I am closing in on 90k kms, I have not had a single issue and the only maintenance that I have done is oil changes and tires. I find it to be a blast to drive in the winter and in summer.

I have the black leather seats with the red stitching and they are comfy as hell for long trips. The Rockford Fosgate stereo is wicked!

Not sure why people think that the interior is horrible, I find the fit and finish better than a Titan, Tundra or the Ford Super Duty's. The plastic materials are the exact same that you would find on on any other North American made truck. :dunno:

The only thing "negative" aspect that I find is the fuel economy as I get 16.5L/100km in the city. However, I never looked at fuel economy when I bought the truck because I really don't care about that. If someone is worried about saving money at the pump they should not be looking at a V6 truck ;)

Sugarphreak
03-19-2013, 09:14 AM

ercchry
03-19-2013, 09:32 AM
i love how you are pushing him to hummer after how much time your's has spent at the shop :rofl:

msommers
03-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Join the 4Runner club :devil: I'll let you take mine out when I'm back in town.

Boosted131
03-19-2013, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Proyecto2000
I have an 09 Pro-4X and I am closing in on 90k kms, I have not had a single issue and the only maintenance that I have done is oil changes and tires. I find it to be a blast to drive in the winter and in summer.

I have the black leather seats with the red stitching and they are comfy as hell for long trips. The Rockford Fosgate stereo is wicked!

Not sure why people think that the interior is horrible, I find the fit and finish better than a Titan, Tundra or the Ford Super Duty's. The plastic materials are the exact same that you would find on on any other North American made truck. :dunno:

The only thing "negative" aspect that I find is the fuel economy as I get 16.5L/100km in the city. However, I never looked at fuel economy when I bought the truck because I really don't care about that. If someone is worried about saving money at the pump they should not be looking at a V6 truck ;) 16.5 isn't bad at all. I only wish I could get that city or highway...

CapnCrunch
03-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Boosted131
16.5 isn't bad at all. I only wish I could get that city or highway...

I get 13 city and 9 highway with my 6spd manual KC for reference. The auto on these is terrible on gas.

Proyecto2000
03-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

I get 13 city and 9 highway with my 6spd manual KC for reference. The auto on these is terrible on gas.

I have a very heavy foot so that contributes to my "poor" L/100. My IS250 averages between 12.5L - 13.5L/100 :rofl:

Sugarphreak
03-19-2013, 10:58 AM

BerserkerCatSplat
03-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Cos

What about a Pathfinder (not the new one :barf: ). I assume since they look almost identical outside they are similar inside? I dont need the bed for anything. I like my truck because I go offroading, camping, and eventually want a trailer. Problem with my F150 now is parking downtown is fun and really it is way bigger than we need.

Pathfinders got pretty large, I'd be looking at an XTerra instead of any of the newer Pathfinders.

ercchry
03-19-2013, 12:05 PM
why not just buy an old tow bitch for under $5k... and daily something that is fun to drive... and good on fuel, like a second ST? :rofl:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-19-2013, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Proyecto2000

I have a very heavy foot so that contributes to my "poor" L/100. My IS250 averages between 12.5L - 13.5L/100 :rofl:

Is that even possible, how can you achieve such poor economy on that car haha

Proyecto2000
03-19-2013, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Is that even possible, how can you achieve such poor economy on that car haha

Well ever since I installed the F Sport gear 2 summers ago, I became addicted to hearing the growling noise. So all summer long I will make it growl while also running the AC. Before I caved in and let Lexus mess with it, it would do around 10-11L/100 :rofl:

HuMz
03-20-2013, 08:25 PM
I test drove Frontiers and Tacomas almost 3 years ago and came to the conclusion the Frontier was a way better bang for your buck, not to mention a better truck overall.

Im now at 55 000kms and haven't had a single issue and that includes numerous offroading trips. I have one coming up in which I will be driving down to Moab to wheel for 5 days.

Some things positives that aren't well known:
-Leather, sunroof, RF stereo, 6 speed or auto, and Nav available in an offroad truck for under 40,000 (way better value then a Tacoma)
-Shares the same platform as the Titan and Xterra therefore many parts are interchangeable and can be upgraded
-Offroad aftermarket parts have really taken off in the last 4 years, toyota will always have more of a selection, but gone are the days of things you could get for the Tacoma that you can't for the Frontier.
-SMOD issue is a thing of the past, in some of the earlier 05-08 Nissans the Radiators failed causing the fluid to leak into the transmission causing both to fail. The radiotor is now updated and Nissan has extended there Rad/trans warranties on all trucks.
-Front diff can be a weak point for hard offroad use, two remedies include ARB front locker which replaces the spider gears (weak point), or else swap in a much stronger Titan Diff which i've done, which shares the same gear ratio and is a direct swap
-Nissan Titan Upper Control Arms, Front Diff, Lower Control arms, CV Axles can all be swapped in for a direct fit for a Mid-travel set-up which can be done with all used parts for cheap, or aftermarket which will provide more travel but cost more (kits are done at prgproducts and dirtkingfabrication.

IMO there isn't a better small truck out there for a utility/trail truck. But I've also never been one to go out and buy something that everyone else has. Here is mine as of now with a titan Swap.....just waiting on my front winch bumper to arrive.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8328/8378085491_23e0f6c9f7_b.jpg

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n561/Xterra_Brit/2013-01-13/CIMG6769.jpg

And a few more PRO-4Xs from over at clubfrontier
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/attachments/f103/39748d1353709640-jrt-pro-4x-11-build-thread-396668_4886788136439_1875987040_n.jpg

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k512/sudingusnavy/IMG_20130319_153028_zps8c84948d.jpg

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb398/x_mods/Turck%20Build/IMG_2605.jpg

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/attachments/f103/37638d1340283494-westracing01s-build-thread-half-assed-flex.jpg

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k512/sudingusnavy/DSC_0795.jpg

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k512/sudingusnavy/DSC_0815.jpg

HuMz
03-20-2013, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Haha, Phreak you really want more in the hummer club hey?! I just cant stand the look of them. Your's is the only one I can handle but that isnt exactly a good daily like I need.

What about a Pathfinder (not the new one :barf: ). I assume since they look almost identical outside they are similar inside? I dont need the bed for anything. I like my truck because I go offroading, camping, and eventually want a trailer. Problem with my F150 now is parking downtown is fun and really it is way bigger than we need.

Pathfinder doesn't have a solid rear axle which sucks taking it offroad, if you don't need the bed I would definitely be looking at an Xterra...basically identical to the Frontier.

One of the most reliable SUV's and along with the FJ are probably the most capable stock SUV out of the box from the factory behind the Rubicon.

The 4.0 V6 are very powerful and your gas milage will very immensely from your driving habits.

Im managing about 15L/100km in the summer with aftermarket rear bumper, 33's, lift, sliders, and Full skid set. The winter it drops to around 16L/100km or more if its a deep freeze and im doing lots of idling. Back when it was stock I was seeing 13.5L/100km in the city during the summer and 15L/100km in winter, highway trips were around 12L/100km. But once again its all dependent on your driving style.

HuMz
03-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Most common links:
Xterra - www.thenewx.org
Frontier - www.clubfrontier.org

Lifts:
www.prgproducts.com (titan swap and other various lifts)
www.nissteclifts.com (Incredible service and most common site for basic lifts)
www.calmini.com (Drop bracket lifts and other basic lifts)
www.4x4parts.com (Bit of everything not the most reliable)
www.

Gears:www.ruggedrocks.com

Bumpers/skids:
www.shrockworks.com
www.heftyfabworks.com
www.arb.com( lockers as well)
www.calmini.com

jsn
03-20-2013, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
I have one, do yourself a favor and just stick with 1/2 tons.

The truck is pretty useless and the Nissan paint is probably the worst paint I have ever seen on anything.

Mechanically its pretty sound, but the interior is horrible and turning radius is bigger than a bus.

I thought it would be nice to get something a little bit smaller than a 1/2 ton but not as small as a Ranger so I went this route. We have a new Ranger at the shop too and I have to say that it is 10x the truck that this thing is.

Not sure why you pick out the interior. They're entry level mid sized trucks that start at less than 30k. If you keep that in mind, the interior is about average in class. I don't mind the interior simply because it's an entry level truck. The tacomas interior is no better than the frontier either.

I agree about the paint though. But that seems to be the case with japanese cars in general. Subarus are notorious for shitty paint as well.

Which ranger are you talking about? 2011 and prior, the interior is absolutely garbage. It looks like it hasn't changed in a decade. The 2012 ranger looks pretty good but can you buy one of those yet? I just checked the ford site and it's not listed on there. Are they available at the dealerships?

sillysod
03-22-2013, 09:22 AM
Just saying the Ranger is more of a "truck" honestly they all suck IMO. It seems to handle weight better and the sheet metal seems to be heavier gauge. My Nissan dents if I look at it the wrong way.

Im not saying the interior of any of the trucks is good, but even a base F150 interior or a Chev 1/2Ton is much better than the horrible plastic in the Nissan. I find that everything scratches it and it isn't easy to keep clean. That being said I think the Frontier is the sharpest looking of all the small trucks (that's why I bought it). I would never buy one again, but there seem to be a lot of guys on here that love their Frontiers.

Mechanically it's been fantastic only 70,000kms on it and everything works well with the exception of the sun visor. That is by far the most annoying thing on my truck. I have had it replaced 3x now under warranty and finally gave up. When I go over a bump (ie the tracks on glenmore going into Foothills) it likes to flop / swing down infront of my eyes. It is extremely annoying but I have just learned to reach up and hold it when I go over R.R. tracks or big bumps.

Cos
03-22-2013, 05:24 PM

HuMz
03-22-2013, 07:01 PM
Keep in mind the new pro-4x with lux package includes NAV, dual climate control, heated power leather, sunroof, upgraded RF stereo, and although I do prefer the new Fords and Dodge full size interiors, I find the Pro-4x with lux package to be nicer then the new Chevs/GMC's.

http://stwot.motortrend.com/files/2013/03/2013-Nissan-Frontier-Pro4x-Interior-1024x640.jpg

It sounds like the Frontier and possibly Tacoma's may see a complete overhaul for next year, if thats the case you can expect to see much better gas milage possibly even a 4 cyl turbo diesel and would be better off seriously looking for one then.

Cos
03-22-2013, 07:12 PM

Masked Bandit
03-23-2013, 08:54 AM
I had an '06 Frontier LE years ago and it was fantastic. If you drove it properly in town I would average 12.5L per 100KM. On the highway it was closer to 10. Put your foot into it on a regular basis though and it would be over 15. Great factory stereo (RF) but really big turning circle. Now Cos, you're a young guy with a young wife and I'll tell you right now, if a baby seat is ANYWHERE in your future, skip this truck. I had the crew cab and a rear facing booster seat won't fit without moving the passenger seat up. That's the only reason I had to go back to a full size crew cab truck.

AE92_TreunoSC
03-23-2013, 09:04 AM
They are pretty solid trucks but very dated in all regards, there are very few improvements on them from their first model year and are in desperate need for a refresh.

I worked at Nissan and hated all the truck interiors except for the full load 4X packages, and they were just tolerable. The old ones had lots of transmission problems, some induced by exploding radiators.

The new Taco interiors are freaking awesome, my buddy bought one after I had him sit in one haha.

Small trucks are dying sadly, and nissan needs to breath some life into these guys.

HuMz
03-23-2013, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I had an '06 Frontier LE years ago and it was fantastic. If you drove it properly in town I would average 12.5L per 100KM. On the highway it was closer to 10. Put your foot into it on a regular basis though and it would be over 15. Great factory stereo (RF) but really big turning circle. Now Cos, you're a young guy with a young wife and I'll tell you right now, if a baby seat is ANYWHERE in your future, skip this truck. I had the crew cab and a rear facing booster seat won't fit without moving the passenger seat up. That's the only reason I had to go back to a full size crew cab truck.

I wish I could see 10L per 100km, I'll be lucky to see 16 once all the mods are done.

There seems to be a alot of Frontier owners with car seats, just a quick search brought this up, I would imagine the rear facing take up more room than a front facing though.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/long-term-w-car-seat-cc-feedback-needed-75769/index2.html

HuMz
03-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
They are pretty solid trucks but very dated in all regards, there are very few improvements on them from their first model year and are in desperate need for a refresh.

I worked at Nissan and hated all the truck interiors except for the full load 4X packages, and they were just tolerable. The old ones had lots of transmission problems, some induced by exploding radiators.

The new Taco interiors are freaking awesome, my buddy bought one after I had him sit in one haha.

Small trucks are dying sadly, and nissan needs to breath some life into these guys.

Overall I like the look of the Tacoma interiors when comparing general models. But if your comparing the two and want a reliable luxurious truck you can offroad in then the PRO-4x has a huge advantage over the TRD off-road in that you can get a sunroof and power heated electric leather seats which aren't even an option on the Offroad Tacoma. And the price for a fully loaded PRO-4x is cheaper then a DC fairly basic Tacoma.

Hallowed_point
03-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by jsn
Which ranger are you talking about? 2011 and prior, the interior is absolutely garbage. It looks like it hasn't changed in a decade. The 2012 ranger looks pretty good but can you buy one of those yet? I just checked the ford site and it's not listed on there. Are they available at the dealerships?

I agree..my brother has an 04 Frontier..he's happy with it..owned it for over 2 years. He's done a little offroading with it and it's fairly capable. I think those rangers are junk if we are comparing year to year next to a frontier. Cheap interior and gutless. The 4.0 v6 is actually pretty quick , especially with the intake and tuner that my brother has I was impressed!

HuMz
03-23-2013, 06:58 PM
Must have been a 05+, the 04's are the first Gen. First gens aren't bad by any means but there fairly basic and underpowered even with the factory supercharger.

Hallowed_point
03-23-2013, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by HuMz
Must have been a 05+, the 04's are the first Gen. First gens aren't bad by any means but there fairly basic and underpowered even with the factory supercharger.

Oops..yeah your right it's an 05. Great engines in those 05+ if you ask me.

Masked Bandit
03-25-2013, 01:08 PM

I wish I could see 10L per 100km, I'll be lucky to see 16 once all the mods are done.

There seems to be a alot of Frontier owners with car seats, just a quick search brought this up, I would imagine the rear facing take up more room than a front facing though.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/long-term-w-car-seat-cc-feedback-needed-75769/index2.html

Using the baby bucket, no problems. Once they are big enough to be front facing, no problem. But for that time frame in the middle where they are rear facing AND you have two kids (older kid front facing), it just doesn't work. I was sad to see the truck leave. Like others have mentioned, quite a bit of get up & go out of that 4.0 L.

jsn
03-25-2013, 01:54 PM

Overall I like the look of the Tacoma interiors when comparing general models. But if your comparing the two and want a reliable luxurious truck you can offroad in then the PRO-4x has a huge advantage over the TRD off-road in that you can get a sunroof and power heated electric leather seats which aren't even an option on the Offroad Tacoma. And the price for a fully loaded PRO-4x is cheaper then a DC fairly basic Tacoma.

That's the reason I went with the frontier. I bought mine used and when I was comparing similar years and mileage, the tacoma was consistently 2 to 3 grand more than the frontier. Even brand new, I believe the tacoma costs abit more than the frontier.

For the price, the frontier had more options (i.e., sunroof, factory skid plates, great factory RF sound system) and more power. Also, the frontier had a solid metal bed while the tacoma has a composite plastic bed. The plastic bed for me wasn't a deal breaker but considering all the differences, the frontier seemed like a better package for the price to me. Both of the interiors were plastic but I prefered the layout of the frontier. I'm sure it was just me being picky, but when I sat inside the tacoma, it felt like a car to me. The frontier just felt more like... a truck. Might have been the seating position.

In the end, they're both great trucks IMO, but the frontier just offered more for the price so I went with the frontier. I'm a big fan of tacomas too though.