PDA

View Full Version : Large presence of religion? (U of C's MacHall)

xbr50
03-22-2013, 01:26 AM
Any students at the U of C notice the big presence of religion at Mac Hall?.

Now normally I don't mind, I'm Atheist but people can do whatever they want. But it really started to bug me when people started to stop me to give me pamphlets or tell me about their cause.
It wasn't until a couple of days ago when someone from the Islam team shoved a pamphlet in my face that I decided "no thanks" just wasn't going to cut it.
I told the guy I don't believe in religion, in fact I find it silly. I then asked if he would appreciate it if I shoved a pamphlet about Atheism in front of his face, and to stop shoving his shit into mine.

What is everyone's thoughts? I will continue to tell these people to stop being aggressive and pushing their religion onto me every time they shove shit in my face.

BigMass
03-22-2013, 07:59 AM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/347026/best-cry-ever-intervention-o.gif

trollolhah
03-22-2013, 08:22 AM
Fight them like this:

http://i.imgur.com/njv8n.gif

If they are a pissoff, why not make/print philosoraptor memes and post them throughout the campus

hilarity ensures :thumbsup: :rofl:

http://i.imgur.com/s4Tp8QC.jpg

http://oi46.tinypic.com/98xb9v.jpg

NRGie
03-22-2013, 10:26 AM
It's Islam awareness week or something. 5 days only. You make it sound like its been going on for the whole semester and its getting worse and worse

Kramerica
03-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Stop looking like an easy convert target :dunno:

They never seem to bother me but I rarely go into Mac hall anymore

spacerz
03-22-2013, 10:33 AM
FYI: They are not allowed to approach you to discuss their cause (whatever it is, religion, homelessness, etc.), you can only approach them. If you have an issue with people shoving pamphlets in your face, take it up with Henry in the clubs office.

muffzz
03-22-2013, 11:23 AM
They don't shove pamphlets in your face..If you're walking close by them and make eye contact, they're obviously going to assume you want some information. And learning a bit about other religions doesn't hurt :p . I'm always intrigued by facts and stories about other religions. It's quite fascinating.

xbr50
03-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by NRGie
It's Islam awareness week or something. 5 days only. You make it sound like its been going on for the whole semester and its getting worse and worse

Ah yes that would explain it, excuse my assumptions.

Originally posted by spacerz
FYI: They are not allowed to approach you to discuss their cause (whatever it is, religion, homelessness, etc.), you can only approach them. If you have an issue with people shoving pamphlets in your face, take it up with Henry in the clubs office.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm not going to make it a bigger deal.
Again I want to make clear I have no issue with religion and groups having kiosks to represent their beliefs. The issue I have is when I was approached by individuals handing out pamphlets.

Originally posted by muffzz
They don't shove pamphlets in your face..If you're walking close by them and make eye contact, they're obviously going to assume you want some information.

And normally they shouldn't, and I rarely see them do. I did not make eye contact as I always ignore these things, I assume because the hall was relatively quiet the guy decided it was ok to approach me.

It's probably just an issue that bothers me only, but religion is a pretty sensitive topic IMO and that man who handed a pamphlet of his religion was a daring move. I assume he is quite dedicated in his belief and I can't help but be curious of his reaction if I handed him a pamphlet of MY beliefs.

jutes
03-22-2013, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by muffzz
I'm always intrigued by facts and stories about other religions.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd151/pushok85/C9XjG.jpg

Marsh
03-22-2013, 08:09 PM
I went to U of C the other day after not being there for years...looks like Middle east is taking over...

magicalpoop
03-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Marsh
I went to U of C the other day after not being there for years...looks like Middle east is taking over...

Everytime I walk by prince's island park, there's a massive group of crazed christians doing their public play, music, and handing out their frightening comics.

I bet your racist ass imagined that to be a group of white people, didn't you? :D :poosie:

GQNammer
03-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Welcome to real life

Just walk by without making eye contact. It appears they will approach you the second you give them an opening. I made the mistake of making eye contact for a split second and I had someone approach me. If you keep on walking and just let them know you're not interested, they will leave you alone.

bignerd
03-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Haha kind of a little different but the same.

My brother lives in Tokyo and was getting tired of the Mormons always coming to his place, he said they would come by a couple times a week and he would use his rudest Japanese and tell the to never come back etc etc. (He is white but follows Buddhism).

He said he was walking to the train station one day and they were there handing out papers and what not. He said the police were also at the station walking around. So he stopped the cops and told them that the Mormons harass him and that they have a weird and strange religion. He said the cops started to ask them all these questions because they (Japanese) are very wary of different/not well known religions after the subway gas attacks they had there by that cult.

He says they don't come by his place anymore.

Never saw religious people at SAIT trying to do this either.