PDA

View Full Version : Re-Using Reports...

dj_patm
03-27-2013, 02:31 PM
Has anyone ever reused a report that they wrote for another class?

I have a friend who is planning on doing this and I warned him as I personally was involved in a stupid plagiarizing incident when a partner in a group project I had decided to literally copy and paste from articles and not change a word. But I guess this isn't anything like that really... It's technically your own work?

Seems super risky to me, even if they're with two completely different profs. I don't think he plans on rewriting it or anything either... Wouldn't they just be able to run it through a program?

Mitsu3000gt
03-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by dj_patm
Has anyone ever reused a report that they wrote for another class?

I have a friend who is planning on doing this and I warned him as I personally was involved in a stupid plagiarizing incident when a partner in a group project I had decided to literally copy and paste from articles and not change a word. But I guess this isn't anything like that really... It's technically your own work?

Seems kind of risky to me, even if they're with two completely different profs. I don't think he plans on rewriting it or anything either...

I used a powerpoint presentation I did for another class and turned it into some stupid poster I had to make for another class. I changed it a bit, mostly visually. Got high marks on both.

It's SO RETARDED that you can actually plagiarize your own work though, it's an absolute joke. It's a bit of a risk, though, but I did it and it was fine.

I wouldn't hand in a paper or something that was identical, IMO that would be too obvious. Mine was at least two different styles of presentation.

Wraith
03-27-2013, 02:37 PM
It's still plagiarism.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/pubs/calendar/current/k-2-1.html

Plagiarism includes but is not limited to:
(d) A student submits or presents work in one course which has also been submitted in another course (although it may be completely original with that student) without the knowledge of or prior agreement of the instructor involved.

JfuckinC
03-27-2013, 02:39 PM
work smart not hard, if the essay fits the perameters of the other classes assignment i don't see it being an issue haha :rofl:

tch7
03-27-2013, 05:25 PM
When it's your own work, do it. Detecting real plagiarism/copyright infringement is usually pretty easy for anybody with experience doing editing/grading. However, if it's your own original work, it's very unlikely that that person would suspect plagiarism. Even if they did suspect plagiarism, all of the commercial programs that check will only compare it to published sources.

Once you get out into the real world you're constantly tweaking the same base document and submitting it to different clients. There's nothing inherently unethical about that. It's called being efficient.

EK69
03-27-2013, 05:43 PM
change some words (shift + f7) and some sentence structure (rearrange, rewrite) and ur good to go

dont forget to change the title, class name, section, date, etc :rofl:

403ep3
03-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Wow lazy lol

I hope your friend gets caught and kicked out of school

dj_patm
03-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Wraith
It's still plagiarism.

(d) A student submits or presents work in one course which has also been submitted in another course (although it may be completely original with that student) without the knowledge of or prior agreement of the instructor involved.

He goes to MRU and claims that he read over their crap and couldn't find anything talking about reusing your own work. This actually got me interested cause I go to MRU as well so I read over the code of student conduct, their definitions of plagerizing and the academic dishonesty case examples and he's right... Not one mention of reusing your own work.

WHY THE FUCK AM I JUST FIGURING THIS OUT NOW WHEN I'M IN MY LAST CLASS OF MY DEGREE.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

dubhead
03-28-2013, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3
Wow lazy lol

I hope your friend gets caught and kicked out of school

What some people call lazy I call efficient.

403ep3
03-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Tell the university and professors that :)

frozenrice
03-28-2013, 06:55 PM
I've personally reused a report once. It was a technical writing course when I was in SAIT. This was the first and only course that I had ever failed in my life. Because I failed the course, I didn't get my diploma. After I finished school and got a job in my respective field, I took the course over through night class. Different instructor, same course curriculum so I reused the exact same reports that I originally submitted the first time I took the course. I ended up with a 90% final grade. :rofl: What a waste of time and money (although I got my employer to pay for it through their education program).

jwslam
03-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Wraith
It's still plagiarism.

i failed a course and handed the reportS (plural) word-for-word the second time i took it.

Heru-Farukon
03-29-2013, 04:51 AM
Like some post above, i dont see anything unethical or wrong if its your own original work.

If its goingt tp be an electric copy thn the prof amay/maynot use a writing program.
I know one of my instructors at sait used that program when it was an electric copy

Also you get to see which class has easier grading

Originally posted by JfuckinC
work smart not hard, if the essay fits the perameters of the other classes assignment i don't see it being an issue haha :rofl:

Originally posted by dubhead

What some people call lazy I call efficient.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CanmoreOrLess
03-29-2013, 05:10 AM
I think a few of you have missed the part where there is a good reason for doing a new report for every class. If you have to ask, you already know it is a sketchy area and you know the right thing to do. Those who view this as "working smart", well look up the definition and at least audit a class in Morality 101. The school I worked at had all papers submitted to a national database, once a student was busted his/her name was red-flagged and forever and ever he/she was tagged. If such a student needed a few points to boost a mark, no way, pound sand.

M.alex
03-29-2013, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
I think a few of you have missed the part where there is a good reason for doing a new report for every class. If you have to ask, you already know it is a sketchy area and you know the right thing to do. Those who view this as "working smart", well look up the definition and at least audit a class in Morality 101. The school I worked at had all papers submitted to a national database, once a student was busted his/her name was red-flagged and forever and ever he/she was tagged. If such a student needed a few points to boost a mark, no way, pound sand.

That's ghey; but then again I shouldn't be surprised since education doesn't tech you a thing about the real world. If I didn't reuse my base work for clients I'd spend all year working on 1-2 client projects and redoing everything from scratch. Morality 101 ..... pfffft, how about teaching efficiency 101

tch7
03-29-2013, 12:50 PM
I fail to see what is morally wrong about it.

You aren't taking credit for somebody else's work, which is the real definition of plagiarism (not the University's made-up definition). Who is being harmed by re-using your own work?

Professors very frequently re-use lecture notes/slides, exam questions, etc. year after year with few if any changes, and they are being paid to do this. Why should their student's be held to a different standard?

themack89
03-30-2013, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by tch7
Professors very frequently re-use lecture notes/slides, exam questions, etc. year after year with few if any changes, and they are being paid to do this.

Haha... Good call.

I actually had a professor who used the same textbook and slides from two different courses, one was in Econ and the other was in Energy Management.

D. Dub
03-31-2013, 09:35 PM
The lazy entitlement in this thread is sad.