PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

LadyLuck
04-10-2013, 12:04 AM
Elevator Murder Experiment...what would you do?

qo6Jzh7SHRA

This could have gone turned out pretty bad for the attacker.

AE92_TreunoSC
04-10-2013, 12:13 AM
It's flight or flight mentality. Nothing wrong with wanting to avoid conflict. I don't agree with the experiment though, its not fair to subject people to trauma like that.

spikerS
04-10-2013, 06:37 AM
while not someone being murdered, but similar situations, and every time, I go in headlong and aggressive. Got my fair share of scars from knives from doing that too.

But so much of that video made me sad. seriously, take a pic or video? stand there and talk? I understand people not wanting to get involved, but in situations like this, I always put myself in the victim's shoes. Could you imagine someone is literally killing you, and watching someone who could save your life whip out their camera phone and video it? That kind of helplessness puts my stomach in knots. I just could not let anyone suffer that in what could possibly be their last moments if I did nothing.

sputnik
04-10-2013, 06:51 AM
I would probably stand there and start cheering for the guy that was winning.

Perhaps I watch too much UFC.

urrforce
04-10-2013, 10:13 AM
i saw this video earlier this year and some buddies and i got to talking about it.

unless you were actually faced with the situation you obviously wouldnt know what you would do. but we were split on helping (either getting involved physically or calling the police) or just walking away and leaving well enough alone. for those who decided they would walk away they felt that there would be nothing they could offer in any sort of assistance role and would just end up getting hurt as well.:dunno:

msommers
04-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Would definitely depend on the situation. Sometimes you try to get involved and if someone is killing someone else, it wouldn't be that odd that if you tried to intervene they'd try to kill you too. Also depend on the weapon involved. But if you have a bunch of buddies in a situation as in the video, no one is going to have a problem taking that guy out (like the guys with the bikes).

Personally if I was by myself, I have no idea what I'd do. I guess you never will until the situation arises which I hope never, ever does.

Ethically, tough call. It's an interesting experiment. But there have been many psychological experiments done that people have thought to be questionable and yet have revealed many interesting things in the human psyche.

Kloubek
04-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by urrforce
unless you were actually faced with the situation you obviously wouldnt know what you would do.

Bullshit. I know exactly what I'd do.

First, I'd tell the guy to stop. He'd have a couple of seconds to comply before he gets knocked the fuck out. Not trying to be an E-thug here or anything, but such direct action to take someone's life requires direct action to stop it. If I can save someone's life, I'm gonna do it. If the guy had a gun or knife, I'm pretty sure he'd be using it rather than a rope.

I agree with Spikers - I can't believe the reactions of some of the people. I do, however, understand why the women or smaller guys aren't pouncing on the guy... although I *don't* understand why the bigger guys aren't stepping in. I mean... a fire extinguisher? Really?

Now, if this scenario was changed up and the guy had a knife or something - then I might not be so quick to step in. In that case, I'd take a couple of extra seconds to assess the situation and only jump in if I felt I wasn't likely to be putting my own life in serious danger.

D'z Nutz
04-10-2013, 11:08 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-aoCK2XGvYiQ/UBlwp_DkdeI/AAAAAAAABuw/WNYiOYkEw7k/s1600/maynard-large.jpg

Then I'd call Zed and let him decide what to do.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m576lxEHQC1r8g567o1_500.gif

Joking aside, that idiot taking the cell phone picture has got to be the most fucked up reaction. I wouldn't have run/walked away, but at least I can understand why they did.

brucebanner
04-10-2013, 04:27 PM
I'm not trying to be a hero or anything either but I have to agree with spikers & kloubek, I would definitely be stepping in and helping.

Like stated before, if a knife or gun was present, it could be a different situation but not with a rope.

It could of ended up real bad for the "attacker" had the wrong(or right) person come along.

Dude, taking a video/picture is just messed up.

Tik-Tok
04-10-2013, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by bruceod

Dude, taking a video/picture is just messed up.

I said the same thing about everyone taking photo's during the Canucks riots. I know it's not the same severity, but the mentality is the same.

89s1
04-14-2013, 09:39 AM
I'd help. Seeing what I'd see there, I'd feel fairly safe doing it as well. The guy is pretty busy, hes got his hands full. Plus, once he's free (given victim consciousness) its 2 on 1. I have every advantage, there are no visible weapons and he is already on the ground with a dude on top of him.

I've taken lumps for helping before, wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I once walked out of a bar to find 4 guys all pounding on one guy. Without hesitating I ran over and jumped the group. I flew in like a fucking missile, knocked the whole thing up like a set of bowling pins.

With the way they were writhing around on the ground like that the "murderer" would be eating boots pretty fucking quick.

Graham_A_M
04-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by spikers
while not someone being murdered, but similar situations, and every time, I go in headlong and aggressive. Got my fair share of scars from knives from doing that too.

But so much of that video made me sad. seriously, take a pic or video? stand there and talk? I understand people not wanting to get involved, but in situations like this, I always put myself in the victim's shoes. Could you imagine someone is literally killing you, and watching someone who could save your life whip out their camera phone and video it? That kind of helplessness puts my stomach in knots. I just could not let anyone suffer that in what could possibly be their last moments if I did nothing.
In that exact scenario? I'd boot fuck his head until he was incapacitated, or unconscious. I wouldn't even think about it. Nobody deserves to die like that in an elevator (unless its a criminal in question thats being choked) but its hard to make a judgement call like that in such an instance, so I'd do absolutely whatever I'd have to to rectify the situation.

Im the exact same way as Spikers. Id never just walk away or watch. Even if I didn't understand what was going on, the last thing I'd do is whip out my cell and take a pic, or just turn away. :banghead:

Maxt
04-14-2013, 12:16 PM
I'm pretty good with a bo staff.

shakalaka
04-14-2013, 12:20 PM
One kick to the face would have taken care of the guy. I would've thought that would be everyone's natural reaction, but I guess not. Open elevator...see that on the floor with the guy strangling a person...take two steps in and kick the face. The guy is most likely going to be out or at least disoriented enough that you can pull the other guy out of under him.

msommers
04-14-2013, 01:04 PM
I brought this up last night and I mentioned the guy with the phone. Someone brought up an interesting point about it actually. If you don't care to get involved and instead run away, at least the guy filming/taking pictures can go to the police with evidence. What's worse? Running away and doing nothing or gather evidence and then running away?

It's a shitty situation to be in regardless

GS430
04-14-2013, 01:09 PM
This is sick. I know it's easy to say what you would do if you were there, but all these fucking twats that walked away really bothered me.

I would have bootfucked the attacker, 300 style.

spikerS
04-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by msommers
I brought this up last night and I mentioned the guy with the phone. Someone brought up an interesting point about it actually. If you don't care to get involved and instead run away, at least the guy filming/taking pictures can go to the police with evidence. What's worse? Running away and doing nothing or gather evidence and then running away?

It's a shitty situation to be in regardless

a lot of good that did for that teen raped in NS huh?

in the mean time, buddy is absolutely helpless knowing his attacker is killing him, and sees you whip out your phone and takes a picture.

Tik-Tok
04-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Posted this in the NS rape thread, but seems appropriate here as well.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I think it's time to look at "good Samaritan" laws. Like on Seinfelds last episode, where they all go to jail, because they just stood there laughing at the guy getting robbed, and video taped it.

msommers
04-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by spikers

a lot of good that did for that teen raped in NS huh?

in the mean time, buddy is absolutely helpless knowing his attacker is killing him, and sees you whip out your phone and takes a picture.

An external witness wasn't the one taking the pictures in that case, that example does not apply here.

Again it comes down to the lesser of two evils of the person not willing or able to get involved.

st184
04-18-2013, 12:07 AM
Get up off my feet and stop makin' tired excuses.

spikerS
04-18-2013, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by msommers

An external witness wasn't the one taking the pictures in that case, that example does not apply here.

Sure it does.

The first person to receive that message with the photo is in the same position as the person filming the murder. Both are going to take that info to the cops.

But that is the problem in this day and age. Going to the police with it is rarely the first thing in a person's thought process any more. Sadly, the first thing that pops into most people's head now is "I should be able to get a TON of karma on Reddit for this!"