PDA

View Full Version : Switching back to All-season/Summer tires

Kolbatron
04-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Just curious as to when all you guys are planning to switch over your winters to your summers/all-seasons? With this weather we have been having lately I am still a bit wary, what do all you guys think?

K.

Xtrema
04-10-2013, 01:42 PM
May long.

Disoblige
04-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Mid-May or so. So much shit on the roads still, particularly in neighborhoods.

Kaos
04-10-2013, 01:43 PM
I wait until I see the street cleaning signs up.

04-10-2013, 01:43 PM
Last weekend :rofl:

flipstah
04-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Mid-May or so. So much shit on the roads still, particularly in neighborhoods.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-10-2013, 01:53 PM
Later this month, getting every last ounce of life out of these crap winters before I replace them :D

Kramerica
04-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Later this month, getting every last ounce of life out of these crap winters before I replace them :D

This. I've basically got crap tires that I use for storing my car in winter and despite being winters they are just awful.

zieg
04-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Without regard to snow and ice, the temperature of the pavement has to be above 7 C before a summer tires compound will give you equivalent grip, so once that happens I'll switch.

AaronK
04-10-2013, 02:10 PM
I am burnin through my winters before I put my new rims on, then gettin new winters for next season. (Michelin PA3's are the fuckin shittiest winter tires ive ever driven... the 500hp + rwd prob doesnt help either.)

Doozer
04-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Last year I put the summers on April 8th, we got a couple 1-day snowstorms afterwards that I managed to avoid, and had no issues.

This year looks like next week is supposed to be nice, so I think that will be the time for me.

Chester
04-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Put em on last week Monday, only because I have the luxury of not leaving my house if it snows:D

DeleriousZ
04-10-2013, 03:07 PM
Whenever the signs say for the drive between Kelowna and Calgary.

TYMSMNY
04-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ
Whenever the signs say for the drive between Kelowna and Calgary.

how has the highways been lately? I need to take a trip to vancouver and might drive out there instead and stop by kelowna.

DeleriousZ
04-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Haven't been recently!

Tomaz
04-10-2013, 04:24 PM
I normally switch just before May Long, but I have a quick change setup in my garage, so I have been running summers unless forecast states snow.

K3RMiTdot
04-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Probably may, but still undecided need to clean them up a little bit first

revelations
04-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Beginning of May.

We will get a snow storm in here still .... good old calgary April weather!

Tik-Tok
04-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Beginning of May.

We will get a snow storm in here still .... good old calgary April weather!

Snow storm or not, we'll still have lots of precipitation with freezing conditions until well into May. Nobody should change over to Summer tires until June if they value their car (and insurance rates).

If it's all-seasons though, switch anytime now.

Stewjoe
04-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Mine are going on April 18. I drive a company vehicle to work so my car is just for evenings and weekends.

DeleriousZ
04-10-2013, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Snow storm or not, we'll still have lots of precipitation with freezing conditions until well into May. Nobody should change over to Summer tires until June if they value their car (and insurance rates).

Running summers for 3 months out of the year. Sadface lol

Twenty
04-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Mine will probably be on in the next week or two. They have to be on before May for Driven. :)

Note that my 'summers' are all-seasons though.

revelations
04-10-2013, 11:02 PM

It is highly improbable for us to get precip in May that sticks to the ground.

Hell, we've had snow 12 months of the year here historically speaking .... so we should run winters year round?? :rofl:

Dilmah
04-11-2013, 05:51 AM
My wife is like a the groundhog of winter tires, one day she pops out of the kitchen and declares, Go change the winter tires! So I do and winter is officially over, this usually happens in the last week of April or the first week in May.

Aleks
04-11-2013, 07:53 AM
Been on summers since March 22nd. Car came with summer rubber and I didn't want to swap the winters on for a few weeks.

sxtasy
04-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

how has the highways been lately? I need to take a trip to vancouver and might drive out there instead and stop by kelowna.
Highways were clear out to Van as of a couple of weeks ago. But, you never know, could snow anytime. Holy hell are they in rough shape though, huge pot holes and bumps between Golden and Revelstoke.

Tik-Tok
04-11-2013, 08:56 AM

It is highly improbable for us to get precip in May that sticks to the ground.

Hell, we've had snow 12 months of the year here historically speaking .... so we should run winters year round?? :rofl:

You missed the point of my post. I'm talking about precipitation (snow AND rain), and freezing conditions that would cause icy roads, not accumulation.

Summer tires aren't designed for 0*C weather, and especially not ice. So long as the overnight temperature is hitting that low, you're taking a risk driving on summer's.

bspot
04-11-2013, 10:22 AM
March 31 :rofl:

I checked the 14 day forecast, and it was for the most part above freezing the whole time. Whoops. Sorry about that guys :rofl:

I think it's moved once in the last 2 weeks, so it's not really a big gamble for me. Still have winters on the other car, so I can steal that when necessary.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-11-2013, 10:27 AM
I ALMOST put the summers on around Easter, thank god I didnt I would have been screwed last Thursday when it was icy.

flipstah
04-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by sxtasy

Holy hell are they in rough shape though, huge pot holes and bumps between Golden and Revelstoke.

YES; Fact. Ate my tire alive a while ago.

sneek
04-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by AaronK
I am burnin through my winters before I put my new rims on, then gettin new winters for next season. (Michelin PA3's are the fuckin shittiest winter tires ive ever driven... the 500hp + rwd prob doesnt help either.)

The Alpin PA4's aren't much better...

I put my summers on March 28th, so last week was a bit dicey when it was icy. All the major roads were fine but some residential roads were a nightmare. I would go into a full on drift at 5km/h.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

YES; Fact. Ate my tire alive a while ago.

Bent two alloys on my moms 135i a couple years ago in between Revy and Golden, they really need some maintenance on that road.

sxtasy
04-11-2013, 11:07 AM
I doubt they will fix it, as they are supposedly twinning that highway all the way to Kamloops.

TYMSMNY
04-11-2013, 11:14 AM
well... flying it is!! There were some wicked pot holes when I drove it last and if there are way more now... no thanks. Last time it blew a tire.

revelations
04-11-2013, 11:29 AM

You missed the point of my post. I'm talking about precipitation (snow AND rain), and freezing conditions that would cause icy roads, not accumulation.

Summer tires aren't designed for 0*C weather, and especially not ice. So long as the overnight temperature is hitting that low, you're taking a risk driving on summer's.

I guess my point is that we DONT usually over night low below zero once we get into May :dunno: (just my experience only)

sneek
04-13-2013, 05:56 AM
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/alerts/630cweg/caab0049/?ref=warnings_citypage

Looks like we have some snow on the way. I guess I will put my winters back on :(

89s1
04-13-2013, 09:15 AM

I run fairly aggressive summer tires and when the mercury drops in the fall I sometimes have a bit of traction issues in the mornings, and that is still at above 0 temps.

I would hold off until you wake up seeing positive ambient temps at the very least.

Luckily I don't have to worry about switching tires... just cars.

Tik-Tok
04-13-2013, 10:40 PM

I guess my point is that we DONT usually over night low below zero once we get into May :dunno: (just my experience only)

Average night time low in May is 3.1, still bad temps for summer performance tires, since icing happens below 5*C

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/statistics/CL3031093/caab0049