PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin D

Blackwater
04-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Hey, just wondering if anyone might have an answer to my question. I picked up vitamin d 1000 IU soft gels, one brand was natures bounty and the other Carlson, but the Carlson is almost twice the size of the natures bounty D and same with the GNC ones I got. They are all 1000 IU's so I'm not sure what's with the size difference. Any idea why ? :dunno:

Darkane
04-17-2013, 09:05 PM
The bigger ones usually have an "absorption" carrier.

Vitamin D is poorly absorbed unless accompanied with a "Fat".

ExtraSlow
04-17-2013, 10:02 PM
I believe Darkane.

I will add in that I consider Vit D to be THE most important supplement you can take. Between the poor absorption, the ease of excretion, the amount the body can handle without toxicity I think people should be aiming for thousands of IU a day.

I give that shit to my kids too.

wintonyk
04-17-2013, 10:28 PM
vitamin d is dirt cheap too. personally i have always picked up the drops. few drops onto my meal and i am set.

i haven't kept up with vitamin d research in the past year, but i used to work with a doctor that was suggesting 10 000 a day.

Blackwater
04-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the reply's. I guess the Carlson one would be the better quality one ?

I usually take 3 - 4000 IU's a day in winter and 2000 or so in spring/summer. I know the research is through the roof with this vitamin so I just wanted to make sure I take the best quality of it.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j274/jona_to_cute/IMG-20130417-00200_zps27e530f2.jpg

firebane
04-18-2013, 06:11 AM
This is what I use: http://www.ddrops.ca/ddrops-1000iu.php

Its a small bottle that when tipped over drops out the perfect drop to take.

I take 2000IU a day.

sputnik
04-18-2013, 06:57 AM
Save your money.

http://www.kix106online.com/files/GotMilk.png

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3c06nbnKI1qgs9wko1_500.jpg

spikerS
04-18-2013, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Save your money.

http://www.kix106online.com/files/GotMilk.png

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3c06nbnKI1qgs9wko1_500.jpg

+1

bjstare
04-18-2013, 07:36 AM
Yeah because we all work outside every day. And milk is super cheap too.:rolleyes:

ExtraSlow
04-18-2013, 07:39 AM
Save your money.
I agree with this sentiment for most supplements. I think Vitamin D is a good value however, and my Doctor agrees which is good enough for me.

max_boost
04-18-2013, 07:47 AM
Yep I take a "d" supplement everyday. It's cheap.

sputnik
04-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by cjblair
And milk is super cheap too.:rolleyes:

A liter of milk cost me less than a small Tim Hortons coffee and I didn't have to worry about buying/taking any supplements.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/71/2

supe
04-18-2013, 08:14 AM
FYI because of our latitude the suns rays aren't as effective so even if you wanted vitamin D from the sun its a lot tougher than if you were closer to the equator.

Also the vitamin D in milk is almost non existent.

I also back the sentiment that vitamin D is proving to be the most important supplement you can take, and at pennies a day, why not?

schocker
04-18-2013, 08:21 AM

A liter of milk cost me less than a small Tim Hortons coffee and I didn't have to worry about buying/taking any supplements.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/71/2
Vitamin D 105 IU
Pills are way cheaper than milk and I would rather take a pill in the morning than have a glass of milk.

403ep3
04-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by spikers

+1

Asian = lactose intollerant = vitamin D pills

black13
04-18-2013, 08:33 AM
Think I should jump on this. I was told about taking it but I thought being outside frequently was sufficient enough. Guess not.

Manhattan
04-18-2013, 10:53 AM
http://img.cache.vevo.com/Content/VevoImages/video/FD2A195B699FD3DD6D46B5FDAC30F6EC.jpg

Throw some D's on that bitch.

Blackwater
04-18-2013, 11:20 AM
I try to take between 3-4k IU's a day. Looking it up, it shows that one cup of milk only has 105 units of D. I would have to drink 30 cups of milk a day to reach my desired amount. I don't believe there's any money to be saved that way.

I'm not out a lot in the sun much, and in winter we just cant walk outside or drink enough milk to get as much D as we need.

zipdoa
04-18-2013, 11:26 AM
10,000 IU's a day checking in.

sputnik
04-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Blackwater
I try to take between 3-4k IU's a day. Looking it up, it shows that one cup of milk only has 105 units of D. I would have to drink 30 cups of milk a day to reach my desired amount. I don't believe there's any money to be saved that way.

I'm not out a lot in the sun much, and in winter we just cant walk outside or drink enough milk to get as much D as we need.

You really only need 400-600 IU per day (800 IU if you are 70+ years old).

Additionally Vitamin D is fat soluble, so unless you are consuming a massive amount of fat (which you would be if you were drinking lots of milk) you aren't processing and retaining anywhere near that much vitamin D from supplements.

Also when it comes to supplements (not necessarily vitamin D) they can actually be harmful for you as a supplement compared to getting the nutrients from food.

Blackwater
04-18-2013, 11:36 AM
There has been way to much research showing that 400-600 units a day isn't enough - it is next to useless.

100 IU (2.5 mcg) per day increases vitamin D blood levels 1 ng/ml (2.5 nmol/L).

200 IU (5 mcg) per day increases vitamin D blood levels 2 ng/ml (5 nmol/L).

400 IU (10 mcg) per day increases vitamin D blood levels 4 ng/ml (10 nmol/L).

500 IU (12.5 mcg) per day increases vitamin D blood levels 5 ng/ml (12.5 nmol/L).

800 IU (20 mcg) per day increases vitamin D blood levels 8 ng/ml (20 nmol/L).

1000 IU (25 mcg) per day increases vitamin D blood levels 10 ng/ml (25 nmol/L).

2000 IU (50 mcg) per day increases vitamin D blood levels 20 ng/ml (50 nmol/L).

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j274/jona_to_cute/Vitamin-D-and-Disease-Incidence_zpsc8fab61f.png

firebane
04-18-2013, 12:04 PM
People don't quite realize how little vitamin D you get until you get bloodwork done or get a vitamin D test done.

A normal level of vitamin D is defined as a 25OHD concentration greater than 30 ng/mL (75 nmol/L).
Vitamin D insufficiency is defined as a 25OHD concentration of 20 to 30 ng/mL (50 to 75 nmol/L).
Vitamin D deficiency is defined as a 25OHD level less than 20 ng/mL (50 nmol/L)

When I had some bloodwork done I was sitting around 45nml/L. Doctor ordered me immediately to start taking a minimum of 2000 IU daily.

supe
04-18-2013, 12:21 PM
The research on what the upper limit of taking Vitamin D is almost non existent. I believe a day in the sun can give you the same as well over 100000 IU of vitamin D. So generally speaking its safe to take more.

On the flip side, study after study after study is showing the benefits of Vitamin D. So the big question is why not supplement if there is nothing to lose but so much to gain.

One thing to keep in mind is the RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowance) is the average daily level of intake sufficient to meet the nutrient requirements of nearly all healthy people. Treat this number as the floor amount of what you should be taking. Darker skinned people, and heavier people should be taking more. Also this RDA number is also highly controversial.

seer_claw
04-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by supe
The research on what the upper limit of taking Vitamin D is almost non existent. I believe a day in the sun can give you the same as well over 100000 IU of vitamin D. So generally speaking its safe to take more.

On the flip side, study after study after study is showing the benefits of Vitamin D. So the big question is why not supplement if there is nothing to lose but so much to gain.

One thing to keep in mind is the RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowance) is the average daily level of intake sufficient to meet the nutrient requirements of nearly all healthy people. Treat this number as the floor amount of what you should be taking. Darker skinned people, and heavier people should be taking more. Also this RDA number is also highly controversial.

Wrong, too much Vit D is bad for you.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-d-toxicity/AN02008

My dad had blood work done last year and the doctor called him and told him to stop taking Vit D and to limit the multivitamins that he was taking. Too much Vitamin D can be as bad or worse than not having enough.

Blackwater
04-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by seer_claw

My dad had blood work done last year and the doctor called him and told him to stop taking Vit D and to limit the multivitamins that he was taking. Too much Vitamin D can be as bad or worse than not having enough.

To much of anything is bad for you.

I'm sure most doctors go by the book - They believe 400 units a day is all you need. So when you say your doctor told your dad that he had to much D in his blood, exactly how much did he have ?

Doesn't anyone ever wonder why shit like MS is so prevalent in Canada ? Now if I lived in Australia everyday, I wouldn't be such a Vitamin D Nazi, but the fact is, most of the year there is little sunlight in Canada besides the summer months. Even when you look at the Inuit, they lived in even colder climates with less sun but its said because they had a diet rich in D they rarely got autoimmune disease like MS. Its just food for thought.. Like the other guy said, so much to gain and so little to loose.. So why not.

Manhattan
04-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Too much water is bad for you. Everything in moderation.

ExtraSlow
04-18-2013, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by Mayo Clinic
Taking 50,000 international units (IU) a day of vitamin D for several months has been shown to cause toxicity

So, we're talking about 2-4000 IU per day, and the Mayo clinic says 50,000 per day for MONTHS can be too much.

I think I'll just keep it under 10,000 most days and not worry about it, lol.

schocker
04-18-2013, 02:46 PM
I guess orange triad has 2000IU so I have been taking 4k a day :rofl:

ExtraSlow
04-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Further to the toxicity comment. I have a jar of 1000 IU softgel capsules here. There's 180 in the bottle, so if I'd have to be going through two bottles a week to be getting into the toxicity zone.

supe
04-18-2013, 03:09 PM

Nobody listen to this nonsense, its the equivalent of saying drinking a bathtub of water a day is bad for you.

Doctors are pharmaceutical pawns. You get sick, they prescribe drugs.

I work for a preventative health program. One of the things we are doing is pushing the higher limits of vitamin D. The key is what the vitamin D level in your blood, don't focus too much on what you're actually taking. Canadians, because of our latitude and our winters require more vitamin D.

403ep3
04-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by schocker
I guess orange triad has 2000IU so I have been taking 4k a day :rofl:

My Orange Triad says 1000IU per serving

Blackwater
04-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Is orange triad only for workout junkies ?

schocker
04-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3

My Orange Triad says 1000IU per serving
Mine is 2000 per serving of 6 pills, yours is the old bottle maybe?

403ep3
04-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Is orange triad only for workout junkies ?

Not really. It just helps with joint pain.

Mine is 2000 per serving of 6 pills, yours is the old bottle maybe?

I have the new white pills

Darkane
04-18-2013, 09:14 PM
10,000 IU.

That dose put me at 163 (Forgot the units). Normal is 80-200.

Been tested four times.

Also unless you head outside in a speedo goodluck getting vitamin D from the sun. Need to have A LOT of your skin exposed.

Milk? Seriously?

Aleks
04-18-2013, 11:02 PM
I don't think most people realize how low their levels of Vit D are until they get tested. I got some bloodwork done before xmas and I was at 14. Lower limit is 80 :banghead:

I'm now taking 2-4k IUs per day. Going to get retested again in few months.

ExtraSlow
04-19-2013, 07:38 AM
Where can you get tested aside from having your doctor send you?

schocker
04-19-2013, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by 403ep3
I have the new white pills
That is weird then as I have the new one also.
http://i.imgur.com/XwbJ90d.jpg

Aleks
04-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Where can you get tested aside from having your doctor send you?

Not sure if you can get it done any other way than blood work??

403ep3
04-19-2013, 11:25 AM

That is weird then as I have the new one also.
http://i.imgur.com/XwbJ90d.jpg

I dunno :dunno:

http://images.iherb.com/l/COL-00140-6.jpg
http://www.heavyweightsfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Orange_Triad-SPEC1.jpg

Maybe you got some stronger shit!

Either way I guess I need to take a lot more.

schocker
04-19-2013, 11:42 AM
Well bb shows the 1000 iu so maybe I never actually checked my bottle, just the controlled labs site, all the concentrations are different :rofl:

Blackwater
04-19-2013, 01:21 PM
When time do you all take your supplements ? Morning after breakfast ? Before night ?

Do you take them all at once or different pills at different times ?

schocker
04-19-2013, 01:55 PM
When time do you all take your supplements ? Morning after breakfast ? Before night ?

Do you take them all at once or different pills at different times ?
Morning I take with a protein shake and danactive, 3 orange triad, 1 fish oil, 2 vitamin day (1000IU), 1 apple cider vineagar, 1 green tea extract. With dinner I take the other 3 orange triad as it specifies on the bottle, (breakfast, dinner), 2x bcaa & 1 glutamine after the gym.

Blackwater
04-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Had some weird shit happen today had some cereal and right after hit the treadmill for only 15 mins and threw up in the shower not long after. Are you supposed to eat before or after you run lol ?

schocker
04-19-2013, 03:10 PM
Had some weird shit happen today had some cereal and right after hit the treadmill for only 15 mins and threw up in the shower not long after. Are you supposed to eat before or after you run lol ?
Probably just an off day. Who hasn't thrown up after or even during a workout :rofl:
I wouldn't eat that close before personally though, maybe like a half hour, at most I will have a tiny snack on my way out and eat after if it is eating time.

edit: checked my orange triad and it is the 2000 IU vitamin D.

Abbott
04-22-2013, 04:10 AM
Natural vitamins are very important for maintaining sight healthy and balanced, and is also necessary for maintaining bone fragments, tooth, skin & hair powerful and well managed All help the body crack down body fat, necessary protein and carbohydrates, thus offering you with power....

Blackwater
04-22-2013, 04:37 AM
I take GNC's Megamen and it shows per tablet it contains 200 IU's of D (twice a day 400IU) which is still well below what I should be taking. So, with that being said, would it be wise to start taking other major vitamins separately even if they are included in the multi ?

403ep3
04-22-2013, 08:06 AM
Just grabbed some Vitamin D pills on the weekend. Probably going to take 3-4 so I have about 4000-5000IU a day

schocker
04-22-2013, 09:49 AM
I take GNC's Megamen and it shows per tablet it contains 200 IU's of D (twice a day 400IU) which is still well below what I should be taking. So, with that being said, would it be wise to start taking other major vitamins separately even if they are included in the multi ?
Yeah if you think you would like more. I take the Kirkland Vitamin D from costco with my morning vitamins.

Blackwater
04-22-2013, 01:59 PM

Yeah if you think you would like more. I take the Kirkland Vitamin D from costco with my morning vitamins.

What exactly do you take besides OT ?

schocker
04-22-2013, 02:08 PM

What exactly do you take besides OT ?
Morning: 3x Orange Triad, 2x 1000IU D, 1x ON Fish Oil, 1x BB.com Green Tea Extract, 1x NOW Apple Cider Vinegar
Dinner: 3x Orange Triad
After Gym: 2x ON BCAA, 1x ON Glutamine

Tej.S
04-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Is there any REAL benefit to taking ACV? It just seems like another product that has become a fad.

schocker
04-22-2013, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Tej.S
Is there any REAL benefit to taking ACV? It just seems like another product that has become a fad.
I have no idea, I thought it was a metabolism thing, don't remember why I started taking it but I have kept taking it :rofl:

Tej.S
04-22-2013, 08:57 PM

I have no idea, I thought it was a metabolism thing, don't remember why I started taking it but I have kept taking it :rofl:

Haha, I read up on it and I guess it CAN promote weight loss and some other stuff, although there's no actual human studies that prove this. Does it taste good or do you just take it in the form of a capsule?

schocker
04-22-2013, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Tej.S

Haha, I read up on it and I guess it CAN promote weight loss and some other stuff, although there's no actual human studies that prove this. Does it taste good or do you just take it in the form of a capsule?
I am trying to lean up then :D
I just take a pill, it seems pretty potent.
450mg per pill, supposed to take 2 I just noticed but I have been taking 1. :rofl:

gamman
04-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Vit D has changed me for the better, ask my wife when I stop taking it in the winter. Yes, 10mins in the US in the summer = can't get it here in Canada in the winter.

Can't remember the group that preaches it, but you need to mega dose for a few weeks, 10k IU, then down to a more normal 1-2k. But as others state, its Fat soluble, need to take with meals.

EK69
04-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by gamman
Vit D has changed me for the better, ask my wife when I stop taking it in the winter. Yes, 10mins in the US in the summer = can't get it here in Canada in the winter.

Can't remember the group that preaches it, but you need to mega dose for a few weeks, 10k IU, then down to a more normal 1-2k. But as others state, its Fat soluble, need to take with meals.
Hai guys I just figured out the best thing ever !!!1

/leaves without saying what
:rofl: jk

So how did vitamin d change u for the better?
Or get ur wife here and we can talk to her for "research purposes" :rofl: :bigpimp:

What are the reasons everyone has for taking vitamin D? Other than not getting enough...like what are the benefits that you are hoping to get from it??

Blackwater
04-22-2013, 11:45 PM
I posted a graph earlier in the thread that shows you that having an optimal amount of D circulating through your blood reduces your risk of developing many diseases including MS which is so prevalent in Canada and areas further from the equator. We just simply cant get enough D from the sun here in Canada so it must be supplemented or sourced through another way like seafood - Milk is NOT a good source of D, like I mentioned earlier you would have to drink 30 cups of milk a day to get 3000 units of D.

I wonder if we all had a diet rich in D, could we cut disease rates in half ? The 400 units of D that is recommended is nothing but crap, the fact that we can take upwards of 10,000 units a day and still not have to worry about toxicity.. I'm not sure why anyone would even be skeptical about taking D, for such a small cost with big benefits.. The bottom line is we don't get enough in Canada especially in the winter months, it NEEDS to be supplemented whether you like it or not. Unless you got a bottle of D pills or a fridge full of seafood, you can be sure that you're deficient.

Tej.S
04-23-2013, 12:00 AM
Don't you wish you were Asian? Haha :D

Blackwater
04-23-2013, 12:29 AM
What for ?

Tej.S
04-23-2013, 08:32 AM
Was trying to imply a seafood joke, but nvm lol.

Seth1968
04-23-2013, 08:40 AM
No offense intended, but what is the actual absorption rate for synthetic vitamins?

Maybe just eat right and go outside:dunno:

schocker
04-23-2013, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968
No offense intended, but what is the actual absorption rate for synthetic vitamins?

I don't think that would be possible at these levels and it is dark like 3/4 of the year :rofl:

Seth1968
04-23-2013, 09:01 AM

I don't think that would be possible at these levels and it is dark like 3/4 of the year :rofl:

Tell that to the Inuit.

supe
04-23-2013, 09:02 AM

Vitamin D boosts the vitamin D in your blood quite effectively. You need to take a higher loading dose at the get go to get it up but once you're their around 4-6k a day is about right. (Caveat, I'm not a doctor by any means, do your own research)

Did you know a tomato today vs a tomato 50 yrs ago has about 60% of the nutrients in it. Farmers don't care what go into their crops, just that they look good and grow fast. So even if you tried to eat healthy, you're not eating healthy (unless you go full organic). You should supplement and really why not... you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

The going outside statement has been addressed.

Seth1968
04-23-2013, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by supe

Vitamin D boosts the vitamin D in your blood quite effectively. You need to take a higher loading dose at the get go to get it up but once you're their around 4-6k a day is about right.

Did you know a tomato today vs a tomato 50 yrs ago has about 60% of the nutrients in it. Farmers don't care what go into their crops, just that they look good and grow fast. So even if you tried to eat healthy, you're not eating healthy (unless you go full organic). You should supplement and really why not... you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Damn good points.

Thanks supe.

schocker
04-23-2013, 10:06 AM

Tell that to the Inuit.
You want me to get enough vitamin d by adopting the diet of the inuit? :rofl:
Do you think I can get enough protein from my food too! :rofl:

Seth1968
04-23-2013, 10:53 AM

You want me to get enough vitamin d by adopting the diet of the inuit? :rofl:
Do you think I can get enough protein from my food too! :rofl:

Your overuse of the facepalm smiley has become tedious.

It's similar to the point which goes way over your head.

suntan
04-23-2013, 11:05 AM

Tell that to the Inuit. They got VitD from the fat of the animals.

The problem is the intensity of the sunlight that comes down. You know, angle of the sun and all that boring junior high science.

schocker
04-23-2013, 12:28 PM

Your overuse of the facepalm smiley has become tedious.

It's similar to the point which goes way over your head.
None of those are facepalms........ :confused:
How does the point of not being able to get near enough vitamins/protein from eating food compared to taking a pill or having a protein shake.

Seth1968
04-23-2013, 02:33 PM

None of those are facepalms........ :confused:

Well, whatever the fuck they're called:)

In regards to synthetic vitamins, my point is, how exactly does one determine the correct level? :rofl:

schocker
04-23-2013, 03:05 PM

Well, whatever the fuck they're called:)

In regards to synthetic vitamins, my point is, how exactly does one determine the correct level? :rofl:
Those are rofls!
You can just go by the recommended daily limits, but then you look at your multi-vitamin and see that everything is over 100% and go from there :rofl:
I never really look how much I am getting with my food, just what the pills are. So I take the multi and the only other 'vitamin' I add is vitamin d.

Seth1968
04-23-2013, 03:15 PM

Those are rofls!
You can just go by the recommended daily limits, but then you look at your multi-vitamin and see that everything is over 100% and go from there :rofl:
I never really look how much I am getting with my food, just what the pills are. So I take the multi and the only other 'vitamin' I add is vitamin d.

So again, you have no idea what you're talking about or ingesting.

It's nothing personal schocker, but I don't think pharmaceutical companies are in your best interest.

schocker
04-23-2013, 03:33 PM
I don't know what I am talking about but I know what I am ingesting. I just compared different multivitamins before I chose orange triad and have been taking that for about a month now and have always taken the 2000 IU of Vitamin D in addition to whatever vitamin I was taking at the time. Oh I don't take it personally, I know nothing about biology so I just do a bunch of research before I make a choice or get info on here or BB.com

Blackwater
04-23-2013, 03:54 PM

So again, you have no idea what you're talking about or ingesting.

It's nothing personal schocker, but I don't think pharmaceutical companies are in your best interest.

There are more deaths from obesity, heart attacks, lung cancer and diabetes than there are from taking vitamins.. If you're skeptical then feel free to not take any vitamins. The way I see it -It's nothing more than free will. You can freely go get a pack of smokes and eat burgers all day long, or you get go to the gym and take vitamins all day long. All the options are there, Its simply your choice what you want to do with your health.

Tej.S
04-23-2013, 08:08 PM
^ good point, I agree.