PDA

View Full Version : Uleth (calgary) courses question

muffzz
04-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Hey peeps..just wondering if anyone has taken either MGT 3460,3470 or 4421 at the Calgary campus. I'm debating between taking 3460 and 4421 at the Calgary campus. I have to take 3470 anyways as it is a pre-req. Anyone know how "hard" these courses are or if the work load is going to be too much taking all 3 at the same time.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Stephen81
04-17-2013, 09:26 PM
Who are the profs and what's the course names? It's been a couple semesters, can't remember the course codes anymore.

muffzz
04-18-2013, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by stephen_haxton
Who are the profs and what's the course names? It's been a couple semesters, can't remember the course codes anymore.

Fundamentals of Investments - MGT 3412 with Kahraman.D

Global Financial Management - MGT 3460 with Oloo.O

Corporate Finance - MGT 3470 with Oloo.O as well

Thanks

Stephen81
04-21-2013, 09:38 PM
I took 3412 with another prof. The course was pretty basic though.

Took Global Finance and Corp. Finance with Oloo, both were a little dry. He's a fair prof though and I think it's possible to do pretty good in both classes if you show up and do the work.

Global Finance had a couple small assignments that were easy to score high on, a group analysis on a multinational organization and a midterm and final. His exams test multiple choice (theory), short answer (theory) and calculations all evenly. So even if you're struggling with some of the 'math' you can pull yourself up on the other 2/3 of the questions. Corp. Finance had 4 assignments and a midterm & final. Looking back it doesn't seem too bad, at the time I probably felt differently though :rofl:

Thomas Gabriel
04-22-2013, 12:23 AM
The workload of those three classes should be easy. Keep in mind that none of it is harder than even CFA level 1. Oloo isn't terrible - but if you can, take courses with Botros. He is the best finance prof in the city.

Mitsu3000gt
04-22-2013, 09:03 AM
^^^ Botros was good but his classes are tough, and had a reputation of being tough at least when I was there. I liked him as a prof, but he comes off really harsh (didn't bother me, but I think that's why some people think he's mean haha). He's actually a really good guy and a good prof.

When I was there, Oloo had a reputation for easy classes.

Canmorite
04-22-2013, 09:54 AM
Botros is much more entertaining than Oloo, but he can come off as harsh. Do not fuck around in his classes, definitely do not be late, pay attention, and you should be fine.

There is some overlap between 3470, 3460 and 3412 so that's good. 3470 with Botros wasn't easy by any stretch but it was a good class.

muffzz
04-22-2013, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
^^^ Botros was good but his classes are tough, and had a reputation of being tough at least when I was there. I liked him as a prof, but he comes off really harsh (didn't bother me, but I think that's why some people think he's mean haha). He's actually a really good guy and a good prof.

When I was there, Oloo had a reputation for easy classes.

Yeah that's what I heard too. I heard if you ask Botros a question, he makes you look stupid as if you should already know the answer. Unfortunately I can't get into 3470 as it is full but I'm still enrolled in 3460 and 3412 as well as 2070.

Hopefully the course load shouldn't be too much considering the things I've heard about 3460. Do any of you by any chance have practice tests/reviews that can be used at study guides? That would be really helpful.

Appreciate all the help ^^

Canmorite
04-23-2013, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by muffzz

Yeah that's what I heard too. I heard if you ask Botros a question, he makes you look stupid as if you should already know the answer. Unfortunately I can't get into 3470 as it is full but I'm still enrolled in 3460 and 3412 as well as 2070.

Hopefully the course load shouldn't be too much considering the things I've heard about 3460. Do any of you by any chance have practice tests/reviews that can be used at study guides? That would be really helpful.

Appreciate all the help ^^

It depends how stupid the question is :rofl: Yes he has berated me so I know what you're talking about. 2070 was a rough course for me, study hard, and stay on his good side.

muffzz
04-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Canmorite

It depends how stupid the question is :rofl: Yes he has berated me so I know what you're talking about. 2070 was a rough course for me, study hard, and stay on his good side.

I hope to do just that lol. Apparently I heard taking 3460 and 3470 in the same semester is extremely difficult along with 2070. So I might just stick with 3470 instead and just get over with it :banghead:

Mitsu3000gt
04-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Haha, yes he berates people who ask stupid questions. I personally thought it was hilarious, but some of the older ladies (I took night classes which had all age groups) didn't appreciate it lol. It just teaches you to think before you ask.

I took 3040Y with him. He also saw a group of us studying together all the time for his class, so I think he went easier on us during the tests because he saw we put in the effort. He also would come by our study groups and drop hints like "I think you should learn THIS example from the text..." etc. He's a good guy, just can come off the wrong way because he's very direct and some people aren't used to that. He knows his shit though.

Sorry I don't have any of his old exams or anything, that was several years ago for me now.

Stephen81
04-23-2013, 07:43 PM
You'll might have better luck trying to find some of Omil's old exams as we always managed to find the odd one and there wasn't a great deal that was changed.

Botro's exams actually seemed to change quite a bit between classes/semesters. Honestly though, I never saw any surprises on his exams though. He'll tell you what you need to study. There were a couple questions that the class did poorly on that he basically repeated on the second midterm or final as freebies almost. As said above, show up, don't be an idiot and if your class is permitted to bring in a formula sheet with ONLY formulas don't be the people who brought in seventeen page documents with formulas and examples from class to the exam. When this happened we all had to toss our formula sheets out and just got a few written on the whiteboard lol.

muffzz
06-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Sorry to bring up an old thread. I just had a few quick questions regarding the programs. Currently I'm in the Bachelor of Management program in Finance and I wanted to know when you graduated does it specify that you have graduated with a Bachelor of Management IN FINANCIAL SERVICES or does it just simply say Bachelor of Management?

Also if one was to switch to General Management (i already have a diploma in BA in finance from SAIT) how hard would it to get a job upon graduation and what kind of jobs are you able to find in General Management? Would it be a wise decision?

Thanks.

Stephen81
06-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by muffzz
Sorry to bring up an old thread. I just had a few quick questions regarding the programs. Currently I'm in the Bachelor of Management program in Finance and I wanted to know when you graduated does it specify that you have graduated with a Bachelor of Management IN FINANCIAL SERVICES or does it just simply say Bachelor of Management?

Also if one was to switch to General Management (i already have a diploma in BA in finance from SAIT) how hard would it to get a job upon graduation and what kind of jobs are you able to find in General Management? Would it be a wise decision?

Thanks.

If you're referring to the actual degree parchment it does not specify your major. I majored in Finance and it only says Bachelor of Management. Unless you also do a Co-op...that will show up on your degree too. Or 'With Disctinction, etc' I believe when you request transcripts it does state your major.

Honestly, if you can, don't switch to General Mgmt. Just keep doing Finance or if you think you can handle Accounting, do that. At least at my company (O&G) the job postings usually just state that a 'business' degree/diploma is required with no mention of a specific major. If you're seriously considering a finance or accounting position after Uni, majoring in it can't hurt your chances. If you're worried about the difficulty, the Finance route honestly is not that bad.

muffzz
06-20-2013, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by stephen_haxton

If you're referring to the actual degree parchment it does not specify your major. I majored in Finance and it only says Bachelor of Management. Unless you also do a Co-op...that will show up on your degree too. Or 'With Disctinction, etc' I believe when you request transcripts it does state your major.

Honestly, if you can, don't switch to General Mgmt. Just keep doing Finance or if you think you can handle Accounting, do that. At least at my company (O&G) the job postings usually just state that a 'business' degree/diploma is required with no mention of a specific major. If you're seriously considering a finance or accounting position after Uni, majoring in it can't hurt your chances. If you're worried about the difficulty, the Finance route honestly is not that bad.

Thanks for the reply.

I was just debating because my goal is to be done hopefully by next summer but with these courses I have next 2 semesters the course load is extremely heavy to be taking 4-5 courses a semester as also told by my advisors. I did some research on general management and I found out that one can get a job in the following:

• account management
• business analysis
• consulting
• facilities/operations management
• grants administration
• management, hospitality/tourism industry
• materials management/logistics
• project management
• purchasing
• retail management
• small business
• event management
• strategic planning
• volunteer management

And I also figured since I have a Business diploma in Finance from SAIT, if I did something like general management then I would have 2 different sets of skills in the knowledge department. So you say general management is a no-go?

Stephen81
06-21-2013, 01:48 PM
I honestly can't comment specifically on the General Mgmt route because I know nothing about what courses are involved. Once you've graduated from UofL the degree you receive basically represents your education and the fact you majored in something else for your diploma at SAIT probably won't mean much to employers. It won't look like two separate skill sets, trust me. I did Finance at SAIT too before I transferred to UofL. When people ask about my education I simply say I have a management degree in Finance from UofL.

I think you should tough it out and give yourself the best possible chance to get the job YOU WANT, not what your degree 'qualifies' you for. I'm not knocking 'general studies or management' but if you did finance or acct at SAIT, see it through. The advisors always talked about not taking specific courses together or heavy course loads but you know what you're capable of.

I got through it in 4.5 years working full-time and doing Co-ops and it sucked at the time but it will be worth it.