PDA

View Full Version : Advice on where to apply

Vmack
04-23-2013, 06:09 PM
Alright so I've got a bit of a dilemma, so you've got some reading here.

I currently live in Winnipeg. I don't like living here, I want to move to Calgary (preferably) but would be okay with Edmonton as well. I have narrowed down what I want to study to Medical Radiology Tech, Diagnostic Medical Sonography, and MRI. The first (MRT) will likely have the most work opportunity and most seats available each year. If I work as MRT in Winnipeg, I cap out around 33/hr (as per current agreement), and in Alberta I can get up to 46, start around 32.

So I have three schools in mind, SAIT, NAIT, and RRC (in Winnipeg). So here are the breakdowns for the programs.

With RRC it is guaranteed acceptance, subject to a waitlist. Right now they cannot tell me what year my admission is for (I have already applied). It is likely 2015, but *could* be 2014. Not horrible, but what sucks is I to wait, and would have to go back to University and complete 3 courses this summer (physics & chem) to remain on the list. Not easy courses by any means. I likely would't know which admission year til mid july, so half way through the semester. Also, taking these courses will cost me ~$1500, and I wont be able to work much since the summer class schedules don't give you much free time. Also, I don't know how difficult it would be to find work here after graduating if I went in Manitoba.

With NAIT/SAIT, its competitive entrance. No guarantee I could get in, but what I plan to do is retake my high school level english and physics via upgrading and apply hoping to land an interview. They do not require any university courses, though having a degree may work in my favor I'd hope. I would personally prefer to go to one of these schools.

I can do both, but that takes away from a lot of time I could be spending working full time to save up for if I do get accepted to SAIT or NAIT. I still feel like right now this is most likely what I will end up doing. Or atleast doing the summer courses until I find out 2014/2015 and then see where things are at.

Sorry for the long ass story, but if anyone read it, I'd love to get some input on what you would do in the same situation.

magicalpoop
04-23-2013, 08:26 PM
Cannot comment on RRC. Both SAIT and NAIT are fine cities, but standard of living and weather is arguably better in Calgary. Also wages are higher in Calgary than Edmonton on average, just FYI (HAYS 2012 Canadian Salary report).

Vmack
04-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by magicalpoop
Cannot comment on RRC. Both SAIT and NAIT are fine cities, but standard of living and weather is arguably better in Calgary. Also wages are higher in Calgary than Edmonton on average, just FYI (HAYS 2012 Canadian Salary report). Yeah, in the private clinics Calgary is higher, as per AHS agreement, salary between the cities is the same scale if through the hospitals. Either way, its much better than the salaries Winnipeg has to offer me.

I just really wanna be out in Alberta as soon as possible and I worry that if I get in and waste this summer taking classes instead of working, its just that much less money that will be available for me when I move, but its still IF i can get in.
I figure if I can go in with the prereqs all over 80 (eng/math/bio/physics) I should be able to get in, especially since I've got the added degree, lots of relevant work experience. I've also gone through both programs' career investigations so I know what I need to beef that up