PDA

View Full Version : MRU U of C Eng transfer

Mogg
04-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Hello,
I was wondering for those who have gone through mru's transfer program or have done first year at U of c what do you think is the best way to balance my course load?

Little background:
So being stupid and young I decided that it was better to just jump into mrus transfer program instead of sticking out high school upgrading. As my high school grades were close to u of c's mark cut off I was advised to take Math 1203 ( U of C Math 211) and Math 1217 ( u of c amat 217) and again apply to u of c as a transfer student. I am about to take spring classes to bump my high school average up so I meet the mark cut off but just want to have my classes registered at mru for back up.

So how would you suggest balancing the rest of the 8 courses? My remaining classes I need are:
ENGR 1261-U OF C ENG 200
ENGR 1271- U OF C ENGG 200
CHEM 1209- U OF C CHEM 209
ENGR 1205- U OF C ENGG 202

ENGR 1263- U OF C ENGG 200
ENGR 1233- U OF C ENGG 233
MATH1219- U OF C AMAT 219
CHEM 1210 - U OF C 201
ENGR 1215- PHYS 259
ENGR 1303 -U OF C ENGG 225

So basically looking to hear the hardest 2( which I am thinking is engr 1205 ( statics) and engr 1215 electricity and magnestism ) and easiest 2 to make a balanced schedule. And yes I have made a advising apt but couldn't get in till Friday..

Thanks!

lilmira
04-30-2013, 11:36 AM
MRU is pretty easy. If that's tough for you, you are going to have a rough ride ahead of you. Don't mean to burst any bubbles but that's the truth.

I don't think it takes a genius to finish an engg degree, just a lot of hardworking to keep up with the classes. You fall behind and you will be overwhelmed.

Mogg
04-30-2013, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
MRU is pretty easy. If that's tough for you, you are going to have a rough ride ahead of you. Don't mean to burst any bubbles but that's the truth.

I don't think it takes a genius to finish an engg degree, just a lot of hardworking to keep up with the classes. You fall behind and you will be overwhelmed.

I would also agree, had a very easy first semester. But if I can balance the course load why wouldn't I?

dirtsniffer
04-30-2013, 11:48 AM
I would recommend taking statistics, differential equations, waves and optics as well. atleast 2 of the 3. especially if you are doing spring/summer.

Rest looks alright

lilmira
04-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Some people will find statics and dynamics tough but they are offered in different semesters so there isn't any option there (back then from my memory :)).

Isn't there still a group project class that is only offered at the U of C?

jltabot
04-30-2013, 12:54 PM
so are you upgrading your high school marks and then taking your chance for first year at uofc or taking first year at MRU? last I heard was that MRU wasn't taking any more applicants for the transfer program as it's currently in the process of being dissolved altogether.

on a more related note, try taking your more difficult courses in the spring (statics, for example)

I found ENGR 1215 (E&M) much more manageable than ENGR 1303 (circuits). Labs are easier for E&M.

CHEM 1210 with Ken Cummins isn't fun. I didn't learn much from his class because he still does those 20 M/C with 20 numerical choices :nut: focus on the tutorial content and you'll be fine

I hated programming (C++), but try to get Laura as your instructor. She's weird but knows her stuff.

Took differential equations with Digby, looks to be older than dirt but he knows his stuff. I really do think he's the smartest guy in the department (from statics, dynamics, calculus, circuits...)

and if you can, try taking one of your electives (soci, econ, etc.) as they'll help boost your GPA. just keep up with the workload and you'll be fine.

I wouldn't say its easier at MRU than UofC but the smaller class sizes really do help when you don't understand something.

Wraith
04-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Is MRU still offering first year engineering classes? I'm pretty sure they canned their transfer programs due to the recent budget cuts.

edit: What he said ^

Mogg
04-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Wraith
Is MRU still offering first year engineering classes? I'm pretty sure they canned their transfer programs due to the recent budget cuts.

edit: What he said ^
Mru is still offering eng classes but only if you were accepted into the program last year, which I was .

And yes I am upgrading to be accepted into u of c first year ( already have conditional , must just meet the 86 high school average ) . I have heard nothing but awful things about ken, even as bad as having wrong answers on tests that he would later realize. Also loved digby! Really shows to not judge a book by its cover.

I'm thinking I will take statics , differential equations , c ++ and either circuits or electricity first semester .

Thanks for the help so far guys !

jltabot
04-30-2013, 01:54 PM
just keep in mind you have to keep it under 8 post secondary courses for u of c to consider your high school avg. anything more you'll be considered a transfer student which is much more difficult than high school entrance.

Mogg
05-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Also anyone know much about a "iclicker"? Just received an email today stating that I will need an mru iclicker . Would that be the same as any iclicker ? I have a original I clicker and have emailed the teacher but she is not sure if the I clicker and the I clicker plus ( that mru sells ) are compatible or the same.

I'm assuming they are , but verification would be nice !
Thanks

dj_patm
05-01-2013, 08:33 PM
There has to be a surplus of Engineering grads coming down the pipe?

dirtsniffer
05-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Not that I'm aware of. What makes you think that?