PDA

View Full Version : High School Text Books/Upgrading

Maybelater
05-05-2013, 12:06 PM
I'm on a now or never mission to raise my High School Math and Sciences marks and find my niche. It has been going great, but after I am done this set of courses, my next set is going to be pretty expensive and all paid out of my own pocket at about $600.00/course. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places, but I found those prices are pretty standard across the board, does anyone know places that do HS credit courses for cheaper? (preferably online).

What can I do to get cheaper text books? What websites out there are good for buying used ones?

bignerd
05-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Bow Valley use to have something where if you did one or two courses online (can't remember how many it had to be) you got a third free but it had to be completed in the same time window as the other.

ie they give you six months to do one course, but you have to finish the additional course in the same 6 month time frame.

I believe they were the cheapest when I looked but they have very little support if you need help, plus the downtown location was a pain. I was a much better learner having to go to a physical location and doing it.

Plus if you are looking to apply to a specific course after make sure they accept wherever you upgrade's marks. Sometimes if you upgrade english for example at U of C it is only good if you are applying to U of C, SAIT for example would not recognize it. Just something to keep in mind before dropping a lot of money on upgrading.

Maybelater
05-05-2013, 11:54 PM
BVC is where I am currently upgrading, I'll have to look into that. And yah, you're right about the support, especially if you work during the day time.

It says all their high school courses are Alberta Education credit courses, so I figure that means the marks are going on my transcripts and should be accepted anywhere you apply.

Did UofC take your BVC upgrade marks?

WithTheLightsOn
05-06-2013, 02:35 PM
If they are going on your Alberta high school transcript like say Chinook Learning Services, then yeah all schools in Alberta have to accept that.

bignerd
05-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Maybelater
BVC is where I am currently upgrading, I'll have to look into that. And yah, you're right about the support, especially if you work during the day time.

It says all their high school courses are Alberta Education credit courses, so I figure that means the marks are going on my transcripts and should be accepted anywhere you apply.

Did UofC take your BVC upgrade marks?

I ended up going to Chinook learning services and yes SAIT took them lol

Maybelater
05-06-2013, 06:33 PM
I went through Chinook for a few things about a year ago, its alright but I didn't like that so many of the students were just kids forced into upgrading by Mom and Dad who hadn't lost the High School mentality yet. lol

Thanks for the help BN.

bignerd
05-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Yeah there were annoying high school kids but the teachers were happy to help those who were really serious. As I said, I was not disciplined enough to do it on my own so it worked better for me.

Mamma_Mia
05-07-2013, 05:41 PM
I went to Chinook learning services, BVC AND SAIT to complete my upgrading. All of the courses at Chinook will be accepted everywhere and the courses I took at SAIT were also... but it's a good idea to confirm with the school you're going to apply to, before you pay! I didn't like chinook for the same reason as you and ended up doing pretty much all of my upgrading at SAIT. I got most of my textbooks from former students that were selling them on Kijiji and Craigslist. You may also be able to find them on www.bookmob.ca

Mamma_Mia
05-07-2013, 05:59 PM
I should also mention that, although SAIT's upgrading classes may be considered equivalent by other post secondary schools for admission, your grades will not go on your high school transcript. At least... they didn't when I did it a couple years ago.