PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder or 4Runner

artieg30
05-15-2013, 07:00 PM
hey beyond,

although winter is already at the back of our minds, I have decided to start looking for a suitable winter beater/utility vehicle for camping etc.

my search has narrowed me down to two possible candidates, a late 90's Nissan Pathfinder and a late 90's Toyota 4runner. They all seem to be in the same price bracket which is roughly $3-4K which meets my budget....

that said, I don't have much knowledge on these types of cars or trucks in general so I was hoping the consensus of beyond could help me decide my purchasing decision!

So far, i'm leaning towards the Toyota for it's bullet proof reliability, I would ideally like to have as little maintenance done to these cars as possible, so what would you guys recommend? Are there any things to watch out for with these models? Thanks guys!

euro_racer
05-15-2013, 07:03 PM
4runner all the way. the alternator on the pathfinder sits too low and is prone to getting wet

AE92_TreunoSC
05-15-2013, 07:53 PM
For the 1996 to 2000 era the 4runner wins hands down. The 3.4 is much more reliable than the 3.3 which was dated before it was even released.

A pathfinder with a 3.5 VQ is a blast, they were introduced around 2001 and have much more power and refinements than the 3rd gen 4runner.

3.5 Nissan VQ 2001+ pathy > 3.4 Toyota 5VZ 1996 - 2002 4runner > 3.3 Nissan VG 1996-2000 pathy

nobb
05-15-2013, 08:10 PM
I currently have a 3rd gen 4Runner, but I've also owned a 2001 Pathfinder with the VQ35DE. As mentioned previously, the VQ35DE is a fantastic engine. Smooth and powerful. The older Pathfinders are great too, but keep in mind that the engines are interference so you'll want to make sure the timing belt has been changed.

In terms of bang for the buck, the Pathfinder wins hands down. For the same price, you can get a lower mileage and better condition Pathfinder vs a 4Runner. However, there is definitely an allure to owning a Toyota truck. More aftermarket parts and a fantastic community to support it.

bigbadboss101
05-16-2013, 08:35 AM
4runners are quite pricier it seems. Go with 2001+ Pathfinder I would say.

sidewaysD
05-16-2013, 10:17 AM
First Gen 1984 4-runners with the 22RE are great but slow.
Second Gen 1989-1995 4-Runners with the 3.0L V6 (3VZ) had head gasket isuses. Headgaskets would go.

if you want a good condition offroad/winter machine.. Why not import a Second Gen JDM 4 runner (or find one landed)? The Hilux Surf with the ulitmate relibale/fuel efficent 2.4L turbo Diesel engine. Friend has one and it starts in the coldest of witner and acctually has some good low end power.

GS430
05-16-2013, 10:21 AM
I have a 99' Pathy, pre facelift. VG engine.

I love it, it has a slight lift, bigger tires, and some other goodies. It's not the greatest on gas obviously, but I don't drive aggressively and pull decent fuel consumption.

~65$ to fill, 450-500KM

artieg30
05-16-2013, 12:41 PM
thanks guys, I was a bit inaccurate with my statement of the 4runners being in the same price bracket, they seem to command a higher premium over the pathfinders when looking on kijiji...

that said the pathfinders seem to be an attractive choice with the pricing and similar configuration as the 4runer, just a question for you guys, what's the engine longetivity of late 90s pathfinders? I'm seeing some in the 250K range for mileage, assuming if they have been cared for moderately how long can I expect the critical components/car in general to last?

Kloubek
05-16-2013, 12:55 PM
I am not an expert in the area, but I've actually heard the late 90's 3.3 is actually extremely robust and will last virtually forever. As mentioned, it's an interference engine so you'd want the timing belt checked/replaced. I've heard *some* instances where the 3.5 has broken down - though with the enormous power difference I imagine it's worth the risk.

The big problem with the 3.3 is that despite poor mileage, it's just gutless as hell. Besides front strut mounts though, the Pathfinder is a great vehicle.

CapnCrunch
05-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Like everyone has mentioned, for the same money you'll generally get a Pathfinder thats in better condition and lower mileage than a 4runner.

I find the 4runner generally seems to be highly overpriced for slightly better reliability than the Pathfinder.

If you can get a great deal on a 4runner I'd pull the trigger, otherwise snag a Pathfinder.

GS430
05-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Like everyone has mentioned, for the same money you'll generally get a Pathfinder thats in better condition and lower mileage than a 4runner.

I find the 4runner generally seems to be highly overpriced for slightly better reliability than the Pathfinder.

If you can get a great deal on a 4runner I'd pull the trigger, otherwise snag a Pathfinder.

Pretty much my thoughts.

I was in the market a few months ago, and every single 4Runner I came across was rusted to shit, or had 300,000+ km.

I baby my pathfinder to save on fuel costs, and it's definitely not the most powerful vehicle on the road, but I can live with that.

soccernut
05-16-2013, 01:46 PM
I personally like the 4runner for it's reliability and toughness. I believe there is pretty decent after market support for it as well. Not sure about path finders.

Have you considered the Xterra. I had one for a while and it was quite happy with it.

clem24
05-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by sidewaysD
if you want a good condition offroad/winter machine.. Why not import a Second Gen JDM 4 runner (or find one landed)? The Hilux Surf with the ulitmate relibale/fuel efficent 2.4L turbo Diesel engine. Friend has one and it starts in the coldest of witner and acctually has some good low end power.

Gross.. I wish the government would step in and no longer allow everyday crappy RHD cars to be imported. And really, 8/10 RHD SUV's I see on the road are in absolute shit condition, and they almost all spew smoke of some sort. Haters gonna hate, and I hate.

sidewaysD
05-16-2013, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by clem24

Gross.. I wish the government would step in and no longer allow everyday crappy RHD cars to be imported. And really, 8/10 RHD SUV's I see on the road are in absolute shit condition, and they almost all spew smoke of some sort. Haters gonna hate, and I hate.

I dont know where you see 8/10 RHD in shit condition spew smoke... Unless they have been abused to shit after importation...

Unless they are diesel.. I can see some smoke being spewed under load.

Canucks3322
05-16-2013, 05:04 PM
OP I HAVE BOTH ME AND MY GF'S FOR SALE, both 1998's with the bulletproof 3.3...

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/369748/fs-1998-nissan-pathfinder-chilkoot-white/

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/369745/fs-1998-nissan-pathfinder-chilkoot-red/

DonJuan
05-16-2013, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by sidewaysD

The 2.4 is notorious for cracking heads, its the 3.0 diesel you mean. But no chance of getting a half decent one for the OP's price range.

clem24, these RHD import is the better vehicle by far. Blame the auto companies for not releasing them here in the first place.

For the Op's price range id say find a clean Pathy, most have a LSD in them in case the going gets rough. The 4runners with the locker are better, but way more money.

nobb
05-16-2013, 08:50 PM
You have to go for a 1999+ 4Runner for a rear locker, and it's super rare to find one with a locker + manual transmission. It's pretty common to find Pathfinders with a limited slip rear differential unless it's a base model. I would take a locker over a limited slip though, if given the chance.

Some things to keep in mind:

The Pathfinder is pretty reliable, no real major issues. Be wary of the strut rust on the 2nd generation R50 series, but I wouldn't say it's a problem since you can get that inspected for free and fixed. If they can't fix it, they'll buy your vehicle out. With the VQ35DE engine, the only (rare) problem might be a loose intake screw that could get sucked in and do damage.

The 4Runner actually seems to have a few more well known problems. Not sure if this is just because me having owned and read up on the 4Runner longer. As mentioned before, the older V6 3VZE engine has the infamous head gasket issue (which might be a bit hyped TBH). The 22RE is known to be pretty bulletproof, but watch out for the timing chain guides wearing out. Both the 22RE and 3VZE are GUTLESS engines, so be prepared to not be able to go past 80km/h when the highway inclines slightly!

Rear axle seals can often blow/leak due to a clogged differential breather.

The 3rd generation 4Runner is a completely different beast. Much better ride, and the V6 5VZFE is one of Toyota's best engines. The biggest flaw with the 3rd gen are the lower ball joints, which have a non-failsafe design. Make sure those are replaced with OEM ones. If your budget allows for a 3rd gen 4Runner, GET IT! Here's a great buying guide for one:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/82033-3rd-gen-4runner-buyers-guide.html

Ihatetowait
05-16-2013, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by nobb
You have to go for a 1999+ 4Runner for a rear locker, and it's super rare to find one with a locker + manual transmission. It's pretty common to find Pathfinders with a limited slip rear differential unless it's a base model. I would take a locker over a limited slip though, if given the chance.

The Pathfinder is pretty reliable, no real major issues. Be wary of the strut rust on the 2nd generation R50 series, but I wouldn't say it's a problem since you can get that inspected for free and fixed. If they can't fix it, they'll buy your vehicle out. With the VQ35DE engine, the only (rare) problem might be a loose intake screw that could get sucked in and do damage.

The 4Runner actually seems to have a few more well known problems. Not sure if this is just because me having owned and read up on the 4Runner longer. As mentioned before, the older V6 3VZE engine has the infamous head gasket issue (which might be a bit hyped TBH). The 22RE is known to be pretty bulletproof, but watch out for the timing chain guides wearing out. Both the 22RE and 3VZE are GUTLESS engines, so be prepared to not be able to go past 80km/h when the highway inclines slightly!

The 3rd generation 4Runner is a completely different beast. Much better ride, and the V6 5VZFE is one of Toyota's best engines. The biggest flaw with the 3rd gen are the lower ball joints, which have a non-failsafe design. Make sure those are replaced with OEM ones. If your budget allows for a 3rd gen 4Runner, GET IT! Here's a great buying guide for one:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/82033-3rd-gen-4runner-buyers-guide.html

Toyota offered the locker 1996+. I have a 1996 manual with a diff lock, neighbor of mine has a 1997 automatic with diff lock.

The electronic diff lock on the 3rd gen is one of the best features. 2 seconds to engage and with a 4 inch lift and 33's I almost never get stuck unless its crazy deep mud.

CelicaST-162
05-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Pathfinder is a great vehicle, but the aftermarket support isn't there.

4Runner is a better vehicle all around in my opinion, lots of aftermarket support.

1996-2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited's had the STANDARD Rear Diff lock.

1996-1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 had the optional Rear Diff Lock, and the possibilty of having a manual Transmission.

2001-2002 Toyota 4Runner only had Center Differential Lock.

artieg30
05-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, keep em coming it is definitely much appreciated!

In terms of aftermarket support i'm not too concerned as i'm not looking to do anything too crazy with the car, I just want to take it for camping, outdoor activities and act as my winter beater...

that said as I mentioned earlier I think i'll be going with a pathfinder as the bang for buck value just can't be beat! I was looking at an xterra as well but they seem to be out of my range for now as they're newer.

danlowteg
05-16-2013, 10:54 PM
After reading all these posts so far I will inform you with proper information and save you the headache of owning a Nissan pathfinder with a 3.3. If you think I am crazy then don't trust a Nissan master tech. First if you are after a Nissan Pathfinder the 3.5VQ is the only way to go unless you can get the next gen 4.0VQ for a good price. The 3.3L is a strong block and is non interference so if the timing belt snaps it can still be saved trust me on this I have done tons but head gaskets like to leak, exhaust likes to leak, is gutless, spark plugs are in a dumb place, cooling system likes to leak, electrical system is weak, oil leaks are common, eats fuel like a 5.6l titan, one of the most difficult engines I have ever worked on, if you get one with a supercharger (xterra-frontier) enjoy the 20hp and might as well shoot yourself in the foot. Shoot me a PM I can tell you what to look for before picking one up. Your best bet is to save a little more cash and find a 4L Pathfinder they don't seem to have many issues and the body on frame is nicer then the unibody design that the 3.5 and 3.3 series have.

flipstah
05-18-2013, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by nobb

You seem pretty knowledgeable about the two cars. I drove my friends SR5 with a 5 spd and its pretty awesome. That car has got me itching to look for one myself!

hellraiser456
05-19-2013, 05:04 PM
I have a 91 4runner sr5

I bought it for 1200 bucks. It has some rust. it currently has 307 xxx on the odo

I have driven it almost daily for about 6 months and here my findings.

-The 4wd isn't the best for winter as i believe the center transfer case is always locked. this means you can't go at higher speeds in 4wd. ( i could be wrong, but it sure feels like that).With that said, i only really use it on side roads or when i get sick of dealing with traffic and take the "high road". I have a/t tires and they are ok in the winter. far better than all seasons, not as good as winters...which i will be buying next year.

-fuel economy isn't great. i get about 400 km to a tank from full to the gas light being on constantly. On that note, you won't be winning any races either..hills suck.

- I need a cv joint. its doing the clickity clack when i turn sharp.

-At this point aside from that, zero problems. Drive train is solid (cv aside), engine is in good shape. the a/c still works. All the electronics work.

If i were to buy another it would be a 1999 - 2002 limited. They have a really good transfer case, and the engine in them is apparently far better. Also after market support is fantastic. The 4 runner forums are also an excellent source of information (for all years). I looked at path finders, and really, in my opinion, they are very identical. You really can't go wrong with either one. I am just a toyota guy and that will be taken with me to the grave.

artieg30
05-24-2013, 11:16 AM
guys i'm bumping this again, what does everyone think of a early 2000's xterra?

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2003-Nissan-Xterra-SE-SuperCharged-SUV-W0QQAdIdZ481726246

i'm interested in this truck would love to hear your guy's opinions on this!

GS430
05-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Forced induction is just additional headaches haha

Seems like a clean unit though.

Jeeper1986
05-24-2013, 05:47 PM
jeep tj :hijack:

mrsingh
05-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Get a 4Runner, not that I'm biased or anything... (just picked up a '99 T4R SR5 V6 4WD)

bourge73
05-24-2013, 06:18 PM
Save some money and buy a bulletproof
Jeep Xj with the 4.0l