PDA

View Full Version : Third Year Haskayne Courses

tdntran
05-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Hi, I'm curious about what courses I should take in my third year and their degree of difficulty. I unfortunately transferred into Haskayne and was forced to use up all my options.

Right now for my fall I plan on taking.
Marketing 317
Hrod 317
opma 317
mgis 317
and communications 363.

I was wondering if this is manageable course load. I heard hrod, opma, mgis and communications were easy and that marketing is the hardest 317.

Any tips and feedback would be great!

cream
05-16-2013, 10:12 PM
Yes, OPMA, HROD, MGIS and COMS are easy. But you don't want to be managing 5 sets of group members so I'd strongly advise against it.

HROD is no problem (With Rob) - He gives you all the time you need inclass, plus everyone finishes the group work last minute and the final project can be done in one night.

MGIS - Easy course but since there is a video involved, I'd say its pretty time consuming.

OPMA - Pretty easy course, I'd say same as MGIS. 3 sets of group projects that aren't TOO bad. Depending on your group, if they like splitting up the work, then its no problem. If they want everyone to come with a completed copy, it may take some extra time.

MKTG - Probably the hardest only because of the midterm and final. The group work requires a lot of time but grades on the assignments are what you put in. Everyone tries hard so it's really up to your self studying for the midterm and final.

COMS - Took awhile ago but it me and a friend decided to do it between 2 of us. We did everything last minute and got good grades. (Very subjective dependant on the TA though)

All in all, I took FNCE, MKTG, OPMA and HROD last semester. 3 group project classes, main focus was on Finance and Marketing. Everyone recommends to never take those 2 together btw. It ended up pretty well. My schedule constantly conflicted between group members though so I saw my OPMA group members maybe a couple times that semester, whereas I became close friends with my MKTG members because we put a lot of work into our stuff.

tldr;

Don't take that combination of 5 classes. I would not, after having my own 3 group member semester.

tdntran
05-16-2013, 10:53 PM
hey, thanks for the response! I just don't think I have much of a choice with the group work part. A lot of business classes have group work and that's all I can take after I just transferred in. I'm more worried about keeping up with the course load, as I can always skip class and sit in another class to meet up with my group.

tdntran
05-16-2013, 11:16 PM
I'm asking for a friend whose transferred to Haskayne as an accounting student and used up her options as well and she was planning on taking these classes and she wanted to know the level of difficulty, etc:

fall :
-bsen 395
-acct 323
-acct 421
-coms
-mktg 317

winter:
-finance: 317
-acct 341
-acct 423
-hrod 317
-mgst 391

Thanks!

icky2unk
05-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by tdntran
I'm asking for a friend whose transferred to Haskayne as an accounting student and used up her options as well and she was planning on taking these classes and she wanted to know the level of difficulty, etc:

fall :
-bsen 395
-acct 323
-acct 421
-coms
-mktg 317

winter:
-acct 341
-acct 423
-hrod 317
-mgst 391

Thanks!

To both yourself and your fiend.

What are the goals of grades.

Do you want A- or higher. If so you will find it difficult to manage those with those course loads. Do you want B or higher than I'd say that is within reason and manageable.

dirtsniffer
05-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Aren't 300 level courses for second year students? Also coms363 is a joke

icky2unk
05-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
Aren't 300 level courses for second year students? Also coms363 is a joke

2nd Year+. You take 300 levels courses in 4th year too, it's all relative.

summerlove.xo
05-17-2013, 03:19 PM
You don't even have to bother going to lecture for HROD317, and you probably need to meet with your group for the project like 5 times max.

OPMA317 is easy as long as you attend the lectures and pay attention. There are three assignments so you need to meet at least 3 times for your group. Plus, there's an outside of lecture activity for assignment two. But nothing that is all that time consuming.

MGIS317 is an okay workload, I would say a bit more group work than the previous two.

COMS is a joke of a class, there are assignments and group projects but I think you don't have to worry about it.

MKTG317 has the most time consuming group project EVER. You have been warned!

I think the combination is not horrible since most of the courses are easy. Just make sure you study marketing regularly and keep on top of the class because all the 317s have midterms around the same time and that could be difficult if you are bad at managing your time.

summerlove.xo
05-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by tdntran

fall :
-bsen 395
-acct 323
-acct 421
-coms
-mktg 317

winter:
-acct 341
-acct 423
-hrod 317
-mgst 391

Thanks!

I wouldn't recommend this because taking bsen395, acct323 and mktg317 in the same semester is probably academic suicide. I might be biased since I didn't enjoy any of those courses. I haven't taken acct341 and acct423 but it doesn't sound like a very good idea to me either if you want good grades.

cream
05-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by summerlove.xo

I think the combination is not horrible since most of the courses are easy. Just make sure you study marketing regularly and keep on top of the class because all the 317s have midterms around the same time and that could be difficult if you are bad at managing your time.

Oh right, I totally forgot. Haskayne schedules most 317s within the same week. You'll have 3,4 or even 5 midterms day after day.

2nd semester you'll have reading week so it's not too bad, but 1st semester you just have a weekend to get it all down.

Type_S1
05-17-2013, 06:06 PM
That is totally doable man, I wouldn't worry too much unless you get stuck with a horrible group.

Marketing is a stupid course so be happy with a B regardless of the effort you put in. If you have it with Boivin, unless you have a set of knockers you will not get a good grade. Just remember that out of all courses in haskayne marketing is one of the least beneficial so don't sweat it if you don't get an A."

GQNammer
05-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Did you take all option courses in your second year? In my opinion, you have an insane workload ahead of you. It is doable but it's going to be very time consuming. At least hrod and mgst is a joke.

tdntran
05-17-2013, 09:44 PM
Yea I did use all my options in my second year. I transferred into Haskayne and I wasn't allowed to take any business classes. The only ones that I have taken are bsen 395 acct 317 and acct 323.

I understand that I'm going to have a difficult course load for the next two years, I just want to space them out accordingly so I don't have a semester that is too easy then have another semester that is way too difficult. I'm an MGIS major BTW

Which class would you say is easier MGST or HROD?

Thanks for all the feedback!

GQNammer
05-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Personally, I found MGST easier than HROD because the projects for MGST reflect what will be on the midterm and final exams. MGST will also work out for you if you're a MGIS major as 30% of both the midterm and final exam is about MGIS.

HROD is pretty easy but I did put more time into studying for HROD than I did for MGST and yet I received a better mark for MGST. Maybe I'm just a dummy haha

Cream pretty much nailed it on the head that your fall semester is going to be group work intensive. I would recommend finishing your HROD project as soon as you can so it leaves you time to work on your marketing project

Nakadah
05-18-2013, 11:45 AM
When I took MGIS 317 there was a pretty big project, so if I were you I would swap it for either FNCE 317 where there is no group project or MGST 391 where there is 3 small group assignments.

MKTG 317 is quite easily the hardest class I have ever taken and the 2 projects are sooo involved...

Everyone says that HROD is easy, but it is not as easy as you might think. Material isn't complicated, but preparing for the exams is a big difficult.

OPMA - Easy
COMS - Easy

Just a suggestion though, have you considered taking spring classes?

tdntran
05-18-2013, 12:25 PM
TBH, I've taken spring for two straight years and after this year I'll need 17 classes to complete so I'm hoping to finish it in 5, 4, 4 ,4 course load semesters.

8baller8
05-20-2013, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1 If you have it with Boivin, unless you have a set of knockers you will not get a good grade. Just remember that out of all courses in haskayne marketing is one of the least beneficial so don't sweat it if you don't get an A." [/B]

Lol @ this. Funny but true.

themack89
05-30-2013, 08:09 AM
I never went to Haskayne, but I landed myself in a similar predicament as yourself. My final semester was 7 courses, two of them were feared like death due to difficulty, all were senior level courses, and completed with a 3.2 for the semester. I ran out of steam at the end and let one of my options bomb (400 level philosophy, C+ and 52% on final lol). What I'm saying is, if you do it, start off STRONG when you have the energy. This way you have the option at the end of the semester to bomb something if you need to and still survive.

Basically, any semester is doable as long as you can sacrifice in other areas of your life and devote the time (if necessary).

If the workload is immense, and the fear of failure is great enough (partially due to understanding the repercussions), then you will not fail.

Your success will depend on your time management skills, judging from the comments of others.