PDA

View Full Version : New sub forum? Camping and trailers?

spikerS
05-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Alright, noticed that this seems to be a pretty big thing on Beyond now, and quite a few people are looking for information and resources. Also seeing threads spread out all over the place, from the general forum, to car/bike talk, to travel, and the list goes on.

I would like to ask for the creation of a new sub forum, for camping that would specifically cover things like tenting, travel trailers, 5th wheels, truck bed campers, tow vehicles, campgrounds, tips and tricks, and everything in between.

This would help to consolidate everything into one place, and clean up the other sub forums, and making searching for this information easier.

thoughts?

ExtraSlow
05-24-2013, 06:21 PM
Camping/RVs/Fishing/Hiking etc. It would work.

Probably be almost as popular as the Kids and Family sub forum that some wise member suggested, and was then shot down.

corsvette
05-24-2013, 07:55 PM
I think it would be a great idea. there seems to be great knowledge here to for a how-to/faq section. Last year after I found out I bought the hyundai of holiday trailers (lotsa features for the buck but the money saved came at an expense) and spent half the summer fixing poorly built everything. I learned alot and needed a ton of questions answered at the same time. I found other forums helpful but if you're a newb they are jerks, and I think there is enough smarts here on Beyond.

We could also offer Campground reviews, tow vehicle set up and advice, and adventure stories.

Camping is gaining in popularity every year, the sub forum would grow and maybe get more newcomers into camping!

spikerS
05-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Yeah, I am actually surprised at how much knowledge is on here. And I thought it fits with Beyond as there are quite a few on here that will be using tow vehicles, and RVs, so it fits the automotive theme.

I would suggest making it a sub forum in the travel section, called something like camping, campgrounds and RVing. Would cover things like campground reviews, trailer reviews, tow vehicle setups, FAQs, Hiking trails, gear reviews, and anything else related to the RV / outdoor lifesyle.

C_Dave45
05-24-2013, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by corsvette

Camping is gaining in popularity every year, the sub forum would grow and maybe get more newcomers into camping!

:facepalm: Great...all we need...MORE campers in Alberta. This province is too full already.

AndyL
05-24-2013, 09:36 PM
Lol, luckily calgary campers seem to refuse to drive more than 2 hours, off the highay far enough not to hear it - or to a non rv-resort ;) leaves a huge area free to roam...

ExtraSlow
05-25-2013, 08:46 AM
Dave, I don't think the percentage of the population that camps is going up. Probably going down actually, only problem is we have a lot more people in total, and the number of campgrounds is pretty much fixed.

Andy is right though, more than two hours from Calgary, or more than thirty minutes on gravel, and you don't have crowds, even on summer long weekends.

kvg
05-25-2013, 10:00 AM
You could just make a thread in Ask Brad when they add it.

C_Dave45
05-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Dave, I don't think the percentage of the population that camps is going up. Probably going down actually, only problem is we have a lot more people in total, and the number of campgrounds is pretty much fixed.

Andy is right though, more than two hours from Calgary, or more than thirty minutes on gravel, and you don't have crowds, even on summer long weekends.

Hmm, that's a good point...I'm not sure about that (percentage vs total). I tend to think it has.
When I was a kid, we went camping anywhere. There was no such thing as "reservations", and there certainly was no such thing as "campground full", no matter where you went.
The ONLY people that had an RV were retired, blue-hairs.

Now days, anyone and everyone can have an RV. I see kids in their 20's owning them. So yes, obviously the total has increased, but I think also the percentage has, especially in the "RV" type camping.

And even in the past few years (since our '06 recession) I've seen an increase in RV campers just in Kananaskis. When we first started camping there, even on long weekends, there were vacancies. Last year, during every long weekend, EVERY SINGLE campsite all along hwy 40 and Bow valley was booked. Not one empty site. (I know this because I know the managers of one campground, and they all talk to all the others over radio)

Crown land camping is getting harder and harder to find on weekends.

Southern Alberta is not too bad, as is South-eastern BC. But like Andy says...anything within two hours of Edmonton or Calgary and forget it. It's tough to head out on a Friday afternoon and hope for a spot, unless you've reserved 3 months ahead of time.

ExtraSlow
05-25-2013, 06:47 PM
In a way, I don't really like the reservation system. I just reserved a spot this morning for Aug 23rd, and Bow Valley Campground, which isn't very popular, was about 80% full even at 9:03 AM. That tells me that people are reserving large blocks of time, and not intending to actually be there for the entire time. Elkwood was almost totally full at the same time.

I feel like my odds are much better at a first-come-first-served place.

C_Dave45
05-25-2013, 07:21 PM
In a way, I don't really like the reservation system. I just reserved a spot this morning for Aug 23rd, and Bow Valley Campground, which isn't very popular, was about 80% full even at 9:03 AM. That tells me that people are reserving large blocks of time, and not intending to actually be there for the entire time. Elkwood was almost totally full at the same time.

I feel like my odds are much better at a first-come-first-served place.

I'm with you on that one. When they first mentioned they were going to the online reservation system I thought it was gonna be great. Yeah, until I tried to reserve....it sold out in 3 minutes.

I've learned different tricks though. As for Elkwood...the entire Loop "B" (power & water) stays first-come-first-serve from June 15 to Sept long weekend. During the shoulder season it is reservable, but they still leave the first 16 sites FCFS. Only "A" loop remains 100% reservable all the time.

Every time I've managed TO reserve a site somewhere...for whatever reason, I've had to cancel. So I don't even bother with the reservation system. I just do the FCFS sites. We'll head out Thursday night for normal weekends, and don't bother for long weekends at all. For a long trip (one or more weeks) we'll head out Sunday afternoon, and everything is pretty much empty.

spikerS
05-29-2013, 07:45 AM
so, Rage, Kenny? what do you guys think?

GoChris
05-29-2013, 08:06 AM
What's wrong with the Travel and Vacation forum? It's not that busy and having two forums for generally the same thing seems overkill.

spikerS
05-29-2013, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by GoChris
What's wrong with the Travel and Vacation forum? It's not that busy and having two forums for generally the same thing seems overkill.

There is nothing "wrong" with it, The request is to create a sub forum in there, specifically dedicated to the RV lifestyle, a place to consolidate the postings of others, instead of them being all over.

sputnik
05-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Camping/RVs/Fishing/Hiking etc. It would work.

"The Great Outdoors"

Unknown303
05-29-2013, 11:53 AM
AlbertaOffroad.com :D

Please don't ban me :devil:

kenny
05-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by spikers

There is nothing "wrong" with it, The request is to create a sub forum in there, specifically dedicated to the RV lifestyle, a place to consolidate the postings of others, instead of them being all over.

What if we made an effort to move all the threads from "all over" to the Travel/Vacation section?

We can also rename the travel/vacation section to make it more clear that Outdoor activities, camping, etc should go in there.

GTS4tw
05-29-2013, 02:14 PM
Just curious, how come it seems hard to open up a new forum? Seems like the more specialized they are the easier it is to find stuff. Im surprised anyone would vote no to something like that? :dunno:

Unknown303
05-29-2013, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by GTS4tw
Just curious, how come it seems hard to open up a new forum? Seems like the more specialized they are the easier it is to find stuff. Im surprised anyone would vote no to something like that? :dunno:

It's not hard. But if you keep opening new ones for every idea people have you get a really congested forum.

spikerS
05-29-2013, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by kenny

What if we made an effort to move all the threads from "all over" to the Travel/Vacation section?

We can also rename the travel/vacation section to make it more clear that Outdoor activities, camping, etc should go in there.

Yeah, if the sub forum is not an option, then this would be a good help.

JRSC00LUDE
05-30-2013, 06:13 PM
One of you big wheels should sell me your old Boler!

spikerS
05-30-2013, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
One of you big wheels should sell me your old Boler!

I would burn it before I sold it to a hipster like you!