PDA

View Full Version : MRU Bisett School of Business or University of Lethbridge?

Ctystar
05-26-2013, 12:03 AM
Hey guys I got accepted into the programs I applied for. I will be doing business (marketing) and got accepted to both MRU and University of Lethbridge. I was currently a student at MRU as an open studies student. Just wondering, which school will land me a better job in the future? I am hoping to do Oil and Gas by the time I graduate.
My plan so far is either 2 years at MRU or University of Lethbridge( Lethbridge location) and then transfer to U of C
for my last 2 years.
Whats everyones thought on this?

LongCity
05-26-2013, 12:24 AM
In before type_s1's I'm better than you - Haskayne or bust spiel.

CivicTunr
05-26-2013, 07:13 AM
U of l is well known. Why do you want to transfer after 2 years?

The only time the school you graduated gets looks at is your first job out of university

R-Audi
05-26-2013, 09:05 AM
Schools aside, you are much better to go to a different city.. you grow and experience so much more then you would staying at home.

Ctystar
05-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Ok so I probably change my mind about transferring to U of C. Which school should I finish my Undergraduate in? I feel like MRU/ Lethbridge wont give me the same level of opportunities for the big oil and gas companies as a student from U of C.

403ep3
05-28-2013, 01:05 PM
I honestly don't think the school matters. It all depends on how you interact with others in social gatherings and your grades..

You can be the smartest student ever and have the social skills of a slug.

R-Audi
05-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Ctystar
Ok so I probably change my mind about transferring to U of C. Which school should I finish my Undergraduate in? I feel like MRU/ Lethbridge wont give me the same level of opportunities for the big oil and gas companies as a student from U of C.

Thats total BS.... You would apply for the same Co-Ops, and jobs will depend more on you and your experiences then your school.

BigShow
05-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi

Thats total BS.... You would apply for the same Co-Ops, and jobs will depend more on you and your experiences then your school.

Agreed. What is this shit about same level of opportunities?

Myrrinda
05-28-2013, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by BigShow

Agreed. What is this shit about same level of opportunities?

X2

Mitsu3000gt
05-28-2013, 03:08 PM

That is total BS IMO. If you miss an opportunity you apply for, and have the necessary degree, it would be because of the individual and not your institution of choice. Both those schools are plenty reputable.

roopi
05-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Marketing? :thumbsdow

M.alex
05-28-2013, 03:55 PM
I don't know what la-la land you gives live in where you think most companies will give UofL, UofC and MRU the same preference. I'm pretty sure UofC, all other things being equal, will be put above the other two.

403ep3
05-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
I don't know what la-la land you gives live in where you think most companies will give UofL, UofC and MRU the same preference. I'm pretty sure UofC, all other things being equal, will be put above the other two.

How long has it been since you graduated?

sexualbanana
05-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

In certain programs, maybe. But I can tell you that, unless something has changed in the last 7 years, the marketing program at Haskayne is pretty shitty. In the eyes of the administration, unless you're in accounting, finance, or plm, they don't really give a fuck about the level of your education.

From what I could tell, had MRU been accredited when I was in school, I would've been better off going to MRU as a marketing major than Haskayne. Don't know much about the U of L program though.

sexualbanana
05-28-2013, 05:48 PM
And deciding on which school to go to also requires an honest look at your finances, because it's not getting cheaper.

I had this debate with a friend of mine about a month ago:

She argues that, in her day, she used to be able to save up enough from a summer job to be able to afford tuition and living costs on her own. But with the annual increases in tuition and stagnant job wages, you'd be hard-pressed to be able to afford just your tuition. Account for room & board, textbooks, etc. and multiply that by 4-5 years, and you're going to be in a pretty big hole financially by the time you graduate (assuming you take loans).

I argued that students get what they put into it, which includes the student experience of living away from home, making new friends, and immersing themselves fully into student life. U of C and MRU both suffer from the same problem that 80-85% of their students are commuter students, which means the students go to class and then go home to their friends, and thus never fully immerse themselves into the social environment (ie. athletics, clubs, greeks, etc). As a result, most of the time their students leave the school with no real connection to how they spent the last 4-5 years. Yes, my argument is based on social vs. academic, but I base this on a lot of my friends in the US who have a really deep connection and sense of pride in their school regardless of where they went.

8baller8
05-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Whoever says mru is better then u of c is a homer. Ive been to both and u of c is much harder and has students who are much more dedicated to their studies and more succesful after graduation. Cruise linkedin if you dont believe me.

Marsh
05-29-2013, 12:15 AM
If you want Oil and Gas, I think you'll find that U of C, U of L, U of A, Ivey and Queens all seem to be well represented in Calgary. Haven't met too many MRU grads in downtown so far, but there are a few and the program is relatively new compared to the others.

End of the day, U of C or U of L would be your best bet.

Isaiah
05-29-2013, 02:00 AM
A well-written resumé gets you the interview.
A good interview gets you the job.

The institution listed on your CV makes no difference.

Mitsu3000gt
05-29-2013, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by 8baller8
Whoever says mru is better then u of c is a homer. Ive been to both and u of c is much harder and has students who are much more dedicated to their studies and more succesful after graduation. Cruise linkedin if you dont believe me.

I was at MRU for a few years and almost every one of my profs was from the UofC haha. It's exactly the same from my experience.

Same at the U of L, nearly every one of my profs also taught at the U of C.

dirtsniffer
05-29-2013, 09:40 AM
You know MRU just started offering degrees right? Its hard to see how they'll do in the long run with only a few years experience.

This topic has been beaten to death so many times before :closed:

lasimmon
05-29-2013, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah
A well-written resumé gets you the interview.
A good interview gets you the job.

The institution listed on your CV makes no difference.

+1 :thumbsup:

8baller8
05-29-2013, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I was at MRU for a few years and almost every one of my profs was from the UofC haha. It's exactly the same from my experience.

Same at the U of L, nearly every one of my profs also taught at the U of C.

Yeah, for the intro classes, not the senior ones.

Myrrinda
05-29-2013, 12:06 PM

That's not true. Most of my accounting profs taught at both.

403ep3
05-29-2013, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Myrrinda

That's not true. Most of my accounting profs taught at both.

+1, I'm not sure about the other faculties but accounting had a lot of good profs that taught at both schools

Mitsu3000gt
05-29-2013, 01:07 PM

That's not true either. Almost all my senior classes (3000 & 4000 level) were UofC profs and taught at multiple institutions.

gatorade
05-29-2013, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

That's not true either. Almost all my senior classes (3000 & 4000 level) were UofC profs and taught at multiple institutions.

People just don't get it.. the amount of tenure track positions out there is low in comparison to the amount of professors, therefore you will have professors who teach at multiple universities, where the norm is that in Calgary many will teach at Mount Royal and UofC. This is not just for accounting, but for most faculties.

Not only that, but alot of MRU profs are not only UofC grads, but also phd students from UofC. For the faculty that I just graduated from, we had 3 professors of these.

This debate of are UofC or MRU classes harder is stupid as fuck considering that most of the profs are the same. An argument could be made that MRU isn't easier, but rather, the quality of teaching is higher because it isn't a research based university (as UofC) is, where the main goal is to pump out publications.

kertejud2
05-29-2013, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by gatorade
An argument could be made that MRU isn't easier, but rather, the quality of teaching is higher because it isn't a research based university (as UofC) is, where the main goal is to pump out publications.

I've heard some profs say similar things. To paraphrase: 'at an undergraduate university you're being taught by PhDs, at research universities you're being taught by TAs.'

8baller8
05-29-2013, 11:39 PM
I assure you testing and overall academics are much harder at u of c. not to mention much, much more competitive. Also, when i transferred to u of c i talked to business profs at mount royal, all of whom said i should prepare to study twice as hard because "the quality of students and learning is much higher".

But you can keep thinking mru is just as good. Ignorance is bliss.

People just don't get it.. the amount of tenure track positions out there is low in comparison to the amount of professors, therefore you will have professors who teach at multiple universities, where the norm is that in Calgary many will teach at Mount Royal and UofC. This is not just for accounting, but for most faculties.

Not only that, but alot of MRU profs are not only UofC grads, but also phd students from UofC. For the faculty that I just graduated from, we had 3 professors of these.

This debate of are UofC or MRU classes harder is stupid as fuck considering that most of the profs are the same. An argument could be made that MRU isn't easier, but rather, the quality of teaching is higher because it isn't a research based university (as UofC) is, where the main goal is to pump out publications.

Ctystar
05-30-2013, 02:35 AM
Thanks for everyones feedback. Lets just try and stay on topic. MRU or University of Lethbridge because i'm still unclear on which to go for.
In the end, I'd like to work for companies like BP or Nexen :thumbsup:

gatorade
05-30-2013, 03:19 AM
How am I speaking from ignorance when 1. I have attended both MRU and UofC, 2. I have a degree from mru, and 2. I am a master’s student at UofC.

Beginning your argument with "I assure you" introduces the lack of substance and evidence. While I partially agree with the statement that the quality of students is much higher, this is more due to the fact that 1. UofC has been awarding degrees for DECADES, while MRU has only for a few, 2. As being a full-fledged University from longer, is more well-known thus increasing the talent pool that attends, nationally and internationally and 3. it has far more students.

Your anecdotal evidence that uses the statement of what business Profs told you is weak and lacks substantiation. While your argument is totally anecdotal, mine was presence of something systematic; the fact that professors at UofC and MRU at both universities.

When it comes to tests, assignments and course material, guess who has almost complete autonomy over this?, not the University, but the professors themselves as they make the tests, mark the tests and teach most of the material. T

Since you might have not understand, I shall re-explain the idea of a research university for you case you. The main of professors is NOT TO TEACH OR ENGAGE STUDENTS, but to pump out publications. The former is left to masters students who are taken under the wing of a professor whose jobs mainly consist of marking exams/assignments, explaining whatever professors failed to inside class and doing tutorials. Some phds will even straight up tell masters or phd candidates that they are advising, that their job is to keep the undergrad students away from them. This assertion of research being central to UofC is illustrated by Cannon’s statement that her goal is “to be a top 5 research university by 2016”.

8baller8
05-31-2013, 08:00 PM
How am I speaking from ignorance when 1. I have attended both MRU and UofC, 2. I have a degree from mru, and 2. I am a master’s student at UofC.

Beginning your argument with "I assure you" introduces the lack of substance and evidence. While I partially agree with the statement that the quality of students is much higher, this is more due to the fact that 1. UofC has been awarding degrees for DECADES, while MRU has only for a few, 2. As being a full-fledged University from longer, is more well-known thus increasing the talent pool that attends, nationally and internationally and 3. it has far more students.

Your anecdotal evidence that uses the statement of what business Profs told you is weak and lacks substantiation. While your argument is totally anecdotal, mine was presence of something systematic; the fact that professors at UofC and MRU at both universities.

When it comes to tests, assignments and course material, guess who has almost complete autonomy over this?, not the University, but the professors themselves as they make the tests, mark the tests and teach most of the material. T

Since you might have not understand, I shall re-explain the idea of a research university for you case you. The main of professors is NOT TO TEACH OR ENGAGE STUDENTS, but to pump out publications. The former is left to masters students who are taken under the wing of a professor whose jobs mainly consist of marking exams/assignments, explaining whatever professors failed to inside class and doing tutorials. Some phds will even straight up tell masters or phd candidates that they are advising, that their job is to keep the undergrad students away from them. This assertion of research being central to UofC is illustrated by Cannon’s statement that her goal is “to be a top 5 research university by 2016”.

I wrote that reply on my iPhone.

Secondly, anyone with half a brain knows that U of C is much more credible. The institution has been around longer, is much more competitive and has better students. As I said before, I was dumb founded when I transferred because I saw the amount of work students were willing to put in. It just wasn't like that at Mount Royal. In addition, U of Calgary gets more funding by the oil companies because of its reputation, high level students and faculty members. Mount Royal just doesn't have that reputation around Calgary.

Let's be honest, saying you go to Mount Royal to anyone outside of Calgary is like saying you go to Mount Allison. Anyone outside of the Maritimes would be like, "huh"?

You justifying your MRU education because of small class sizes, lack of professor engagement (after the first 2-3 years, TA's stop teaching you BTW) honestly makes me laugh. As I said before, look on LinkedIn if you want proof which students are doing better: U of C or Mount Royal. The differences are staggering.

I realize you probably have some MRU pride and that's cool. I'm not saying everyone at MRU is dumb.
BTW OP, sorry to hijack....

If you want to work for "BP or Nexen" you'll have a better chance going to U of Calgary.

gatorade
05-31-2013, 09:55 PM

Secondly, anyone with half a brain knows that U of C is much more credible. The institution has been around longer, is much more competitive and has better students. As I said before, I was dumb founded when I transferred because I saw the amount of work students were willing to put in. It just wasn't like that at Mount Royal. In addition, U of Calgary gets more funding by the oil companies because of its reputation, high level students and faculty members. Mount Royal just doesn't have that reputation around Calgary.

You need to read more carefully before you respond, of course, UofC gets more funding,1. it is a larger university, has been around longer and is research based. All of which has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with whether either institution is harder or not.

I probably know this far better than you do as my masters at UofC is fully funded. I was considering on going to higher ranked universities such as UofA and UBC, but the funding offer was so good I couldn't refuse. The major basis of funding that a university receives comes from the fact that IT IS RESEARCH BASED, something that MRU is not.

You justifying your MRU education because of small class sizes, lack of professor engagement (after the first 2-3 years, TA's stop teaching you BTW) honestly makes me laugh. As I said before, look on LinkedIn if you want proof which students are doing better: U of C or Mount Royal. The differences are staggering.

Nowhere, did I mention small class sizes, but class sizes are directly correlated to quality of teaching. Also TA's do not necessarily stop teaching you after years 2-3. While TA's in general will teach intro level courses, it is not uncommon for them to teach second or third year courses.

As I said before, look on LinkedIn if you want proof which students are doing better: U of C or Mount Royal. The differences are staggering.

Using the example of "look at linkedin" lacks substantiation and is totally fallacious. To illustrate that I'll use a fallacious argument similar to yours to state that the quantity of famous alumni (such as Canadian leaders) that have graduated from UofC in comparison to MRU demonstrates that UofC is superior.

Considering that MRU has just started offering degrees only a few years ago, means that there will be less degree holders from MRU, and even then there will be a few years gap for these undergrads to graduate as
the curriculum is still being developed.

8baller8
05-31-2013, 10:39 PM

You need to read more carefully before you respond, of course, UofC gets more funding,1. it is a larger university, has been around longer and is research based. All of which has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with whether either institution is harder or not.

I probably know this far better than you do as my masters at UofC is fully funded. I was considering on going to higher ranked universities such as UofA and UBC, but the funding offer was so good I couldn't refuse. The major basis of funding that a university receives comes from the fact that IT IS RESEARCH BASED, something that MRU is not.

Nowhere, did I mention small class sizes, but class sizes are directly correlated to quality of teaching. Also TA's do not necessarily stop teaching you after years 2-3. While TA's in general will teach intro level courses, it is not uncommon for them to teach second or third year courses.

Using the example of "look at linkedin" lacks substantiation and is totally fallacious. To illustrate that I'll use a fallacious argument similar to yours to state that the quantity of famous alumni (such as Canadian leaders) that have graduated from UofC in comparison to MRU demonstrates that UofC is superior.
L
Considering that MRU has just started offering degrees only a few years ago, means that there will be less degree holders from MRU, and even then there will be a few years gap for these undergrads to graduate as
the curriculum is still being developed.

K. If you think youre educated more then the average u of c student i find that hilarious. I hope you enjoy u of c!!

Ctystar
06-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Well I dont think Ill be going to U of C unless I wanna finish my MBA. I also applied at UBC Okanagan campus as well but awaiting their response. As of right now, it is still Lethbridge and MRU.

tbomb
06-11-2013, 02:00 PM
If you're studying marketing, don't worry about what school you go to. Make sure you are focused on networking as marketing is pretty hard to bust into.

Oh, and yes any real university > UofL and MRU :poosie:

Ctystar
06-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Ok I got declined at UBC Okanagan. Im most likely aiming for U of L.
How are the classes there? Are they on par with MRU in terms of easiness?
I got a pretty decent gpa of 3.47 at MRU without too much studying.

bjstare
06-17-2013, 04:34 PM

K. If you think youre educated more then the average u of c student i find that hilarious. I hope you enjoy u of c!!

:rofl:

The irony here is awesome.

Isaiah
06-18-2013, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by cjblair

:rofl:

The irony here is awesome.
Yet it was he who said that "ignorance is bliss," which underscores the awesomeness of it.

muffzz
06-19-2013, 10:27 AM
I had a question about the U of L here too (calgary campus)..

I'm currently in the Bachelor of Management - Finance program (even though they're only 2 finance courses) and I was thinking of switching to Marketing or General Management as their courses are more focused. Would that be a good idea? in terms of finding a good job in the near future?

Ctystar
06-28-2013, 03:16 PM
I was also wondering this too.

zerofighter
07-02-2013, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by muffzz
I had a question about the U of L here too (calgary campus)..

I'm currently in the Bachelor of Management - Finance program (even though they're only 2 finance courses) and I was thinking of switching to Marketing or General Management as their courses are more focused. Would that be a good idea? in terms of finding a good job in the near future?

I was also wondering this too.

I'll chime in here, I have a BBA General Management with a minor in Marketing from MRU.

Your degree concentration really depends on what you want to do with your degree. There are a lot of business related jobs that do not require a specific business concentration, I know a few people who are in a finance related role without a finance degree. From my experiences of applying/interviewing and working at different companies, unless you are applying for a specific role like an accountant or financial analyst or marketing coordinator or something that requires a specific education you should be fine with a general business degree.

I've found that in entry-level jobs you won't really be utilizing the knowledge you learned from school very much anyways (can't speak for those jobs that require a specific education). You will be doing the basic grunt work for a little while until you can prove to your managers that you are competent enough to do more complex tasks at which point you may or may not apply your knowledge from school.

So would it be a good idea to switch to general management? Maybe, maybe not, depends on what you want to do. Does it limit you from finding a good job in the future? Not unless you want to go into that specific field, in all other cases no. My best advice to new grads is to work your ass off, take the initiative to learn more than what is in your scope of work and to be driven, then you will be successful and the sky is the limit.

PM me and I can go over a few more details of what type of jobs that I have done with "just" with a general business degree.

PS, this whole thing about what school you graduated from is a bit redundant. It doesn't really matter, not unless you are doing a post-graduate degree.

AsianAfroSamurai
07-03-2013, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by zerofighter

I'll chime in here, I have a BBA General Management with a minor in Marketing from MRU.

Your degree concentration really depends on what you want to do with your degree. There are a lot of business related jobs that do not require a specific business concentration, I know a few people who are in a finance related role without a finance degree. From my experiences of applying/interviewing and working at different companies, unless you are applying for a specific role like an accountant or financial analyst or marketing coordinator or something that requires a specific education you should be fine with a general business degree.

I've found that in entry-level jobs you won't really be utilizing the knowledge you learned from school very much anyways (can't speak for those jobs that require a specific education). You will be doing the basic grunt work for a little while until you can prove to your managers that you are competent enough to do more complex tasks at which point you may or may not apply your knowledge from school.

So would it be a good idea to switch to general management? Maybe, maybe not, depends on what you want to do. Does it limit you from finding a good job in the future? Not unless you want to go into that specific field, in all other cases no. My best advice to new grads is to work your ass off, take the initiative to learn more than what is in your scope of work and to be driven, then you will be successful and the sky is the limit.

PM me and I can go over a few more details of what type of jobs that I have done with "just" with a general business degree.

PS, this whole thing about what school you graduated from is a bit redundant. It doesn't really matter, not unless you are doing a post-graduate degree.

Unfortunately we live in a world were people do care where you went to school. Someone that has gone to Stanford, MIT or Harvard is going to be perceived much more differently than any state university.

Being in Alberta, U of C and U of A would be considered the top universities. One way to gauge this is to look at all the Co-Op and internship opportunities. For Calgary, most major companies in the province will focus on U of C for their internships. This does not mean that the other institutions do not have reasonable internship programs but Deloitte & Touche is going to get their fresh meat from U of C and U of A before they even consider other institutions.

Now, I would suggest that the best approach is to do your first couple of years to go to Mount Royal or Lethbridge and then do a transfer to U of C or U of A. You get the best of both worlds, soft landing when you start and a bit cheaper tuition and then the full university advantage.

If you are considering oil and gas sector in downtown and even other major companies, U of C is a major feeder. I of course do not imply that having a degree from one of these new institutions automatically reduces your chances (who you are and how driven you are play a much major role) but it does make a difference.

I do completely agree that it is up to the person to take responsibility for their career and make something of it, regardless of where they went to school. I do respectfully disagree that it "doesn't really matter".

zerofighter
07-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by AsianAfroSamurai

Unfortunately we live in a world were people do care where you went to school. Someone that has gone to Stanford, MIT or Harvard is going to be perceived much more differently than any state university.

Being in Alberta, U of C and U of A would be considered the top universities. One way to gauge this is to look at all the Co-Op and internship opportunities. For Calgary, most major companies in the province will focus on U of C for their internships. This does not mean that the other institutions do not have reasonable internship programs but Deloitte & Touche is going to get their fresh meat from U of C and U of A before they even consider other institutions.

Now, I would suggest that the best approach is to do your first couple of years to go to Mount Royal or Lethbridge and then do a transfer to U of C or U of A. You get the best of both worlds, soft landing when you start and a bit cheaper tuition and then the full university advantage.

If you are considering oil and gas sector in downtown and even other major companies, U of C is a major feeder. I of course do not imply that having a degree from one of these new institutions automatically reduces your chances (who you are and how driven you are play a much major role) but it does make a difference.

I do completely agree that it is up to the person to take responsibility for their career and make something of it, regardless of where they went to school. I do respectfully disagree that it "doesn't really matter".

I see the merits but the difference is that with Harvard, Stanford, MIT, etc, they are US schools and the environment that these schools are in is much more competitive compared to our schools in Alberta. I do agree that yes, unfortantely some people do perceive some schools higher than others. However, I'm not so convinced that there is a massive differential of quality of instruction between the Alberta schools.

I think a lot of people put too much emphasis on the school's name, where as people should be focused on the quality of instruction. It really depends on the person and what they can get out of their time from being at post secondary. I know a lot of people from SAIT/MRU/UofL that are started of doing extremely well while some people from the UofC are struggling, but then on the flipside I know people from UofC that are doing well and some people from SAIT/MRU/UofL doing not so well. The people who aren't doing so well are the people who went to university "just because" and did not want to be there.

OP, the point is, it really comes down to the person and their drive. As long as you want to be at school and try to gain some knowledge you will be successful (this probably won't happen right away, I started to want to be at school after my second year).

Ctystar
07-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Ok So I've made up my mind . Only thing is, I failed a course at Mount Royal back when I was doing open studies. That dropped my gpa significantly. Anyway to get that F of my transcript? Also, If I retake the course, will they take the better mark? School are closed today so I cant really call to find out =/

gatorade
07-08-2013, 01:23 AM
Nope, that F will stay on your transcript forever, even if you retake the course the F will stay and will not replace the other grade. I know this from experience, but one F should not be enough to kill your GPA unless the rest of your coursework is bad as well.