PDA

View Full Version : Engine Conversion

Alak
06-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Wondering if you guys know a very capable shop that can help me with an engine conversion.

I happened upon a CAT C7 Engine and Im looking at the possibility of swapping it into my F350. I would need custom fabrication to fit the engine, separate 24V and 12V systems (which I can do myself) and someone capable enough to make the ford TPS, Cruise control and gauges work with the new power plant. The transmission should bolt up with a standard mounting flange, and it can be controlled with a separate, aftermarket computer.

I realize this ain't cheap, but I don't want to cut a huge cheque to have some shop that don't know shit do it for me. I also realize that this conversion, ain't exactly common either.

SKR
06-08-2013, 11:44 PM
I think popping the hood and seeing a yellow CAT motor would be cool as hell. I also think it would be expensive as hell.

I can't help you, but good luck. Try destroked.com to see if they know anything about what needs to be done. Most conversions are to Cummins 5.9s but they might be able to point you to someone who has done this before.

Tik-Tok
06-08-2013, 11:56 PM
Home you're planning on upgrading your suspension too. 25% extra weight in the front is no joke.

Alak
06-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Home you're planning on upgrading your suspension too. 25% extra weight in the front is no joke.

I have upgraded springs in the front so I'm not worried.

I was looking into cummins conversion but, to be honest, cummins engines arnt as great as everyone thinks they are. Is it more reliable than a PSD? Argueably.

I'm still milling about doing the cat. Most folks shy away because of the cost. 99% of all swaps are done because people just do it.

Sugarphreak
06-09-2013, 11:03 AM

Alak
06-09-2013, 11:22 AM
The C7 came as an option in the F650 so I'm going to have a look into that and see what I can swap over maybe. TPS and harnesses. I'd like it to 'look' factory, and have all the gauges work.

AndyL
06-09-2013, 11:39 AM
Um... I think you'll be putting a REALLY big axle swap under that if you really wanted it...

Last cat swap I saw, I think they ended up with a HUGE (like deuce toploader huge) axle to support it...

There's some interesting detroits in school busses that might be more appropriate...

Alak
06-09-2013, 12:17 PM
I looked at a 4-53 or 6-53 swap but the size of the engines themselves is a factor. Plus power output leaves much to be desired. But I'm looking for a smooth running engine, and jimmies are as smooth as it can get. The C7 can put out 300HP from the factory, before modifications. I'm not doing this for a crazy horsepower swap or nothin.

I'm not too concerned about the weight. They probably run rockwells because of big torque + big tires.

SKR
06-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Alak
I was looking into cummins conversion but, to be honest, cummins engines arnt as great as everyone thinks they are. Is it more reliable than a PSD? Argueably.

Oh?

Alak
06-11-2013, 12:03 AM
Everything has their little issues, no matter what you got. When you start to run more power, some engines can handle it better than others. :burnout:

Tik-Tok
06-11-2013, 09:07 AM
I guess it depends on how much power you want, but you can't get much more reliable than a Cummins 6BT 12V... that's why they are the most popular conversion engine.

Alak
06-12-2013, 04:31 PM
That's true. They are an incredibly reliable engine. I've rebuilt a few for customers (and friends) and if they are well looked after they typically need very little machine work.

I think the biggest thing is how the engine is maintained and how its used. Diesels are meant to be driven hard with huge loads. Driving it around the city like an economy car does more damage than good. Although the new engines are becoming more 'daily driver friendly'.