PDA

View Full Version : Campus life at University of Lethbridge?

TGT86
06-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Hey everyone I just paid for my admissions to University of Lethbridge and will be living on campus. I was just wondering what the student body is like. For example ethnicity. Also, I was told there is a noise restriction from 10pm- 7am on campus. Does that mean no more dorm parties lol :P

rinny
06-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Could be wrong but all my buddies who lived in Lethy said campus accomodations are old and dated. With the glutton of cheap and affordable housing down there you shouldnt have an issue finding a place off campus.

That being said, the biggest parties happen off campus- Lethbridge is a party machine!

-relk-
06-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by rinny
Could be wrong but all my buddies who lived in Lethy said campus accomodations are old and dated. With the glutton of cheap and affordable housing down there you shouldnt have an issue finding a place off campus.

That being said, the biggest parties happen off campus- Lethbridge is a party machine!
Everything he said is true. I never lived on campus, but UHall used to be a jail before it was a University, so the dorms are pretty much shitholes. They have some common rooms in res, but they usually aren't very good in terms of parties. Going out to the bar is probably your best bet, cheap too (in comparison to Calgary). Also, you are required to buy a food card your first year, and you get sick of the food offered real quick from my experience.

SKR
06-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by -relk-

but UHall used to be a jail before it was a University, so the dorms are pretty much shitholes.

I know that UHall feels like a jail because it's concrete and awful and depressing, but I'm pretty sure that's not what it actually was. It was built new for the University in 1971.

TGT86
06-21-2013, 03:04 AM
So theres really no party happening on campus on residence?
I can just go to the bar anytime in Calgary or anywhere you know lol.

-relk-
06-21-2013, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by SKR

I know that UHall feels like a jail because it's concrete and awful and depressing, but I'm pretty sure that's not what it actually was. It was built new for the University in 1971.
I have heard it from a lot of friends down there, but there is a good chance it is just a romour.

Originally posted by TGT86
There are parties, and the atmosphere is very party centred the first couple of years. But down in Uhall, I don't think there are many parties. Many of the parties are pre gaming before going to the bar.

Benny
06-22-2013, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by TGT86

I lived down there for a year and a half starting in 2008. I was working at the time, but all my friends and roommates were all going to the U of L or LCC. There were parties everywhere. First year is a complete write off for most kids down there. Almost everyone I know bombed first year and ended up retaking most of their courses because they spent the entire time getting smashed and sleeping through their classes. Lots of kids on academic probation. I think kids in business programs didn't have school on Fridays either, so that's why Studio on Thursday was always such a zoo.

Most university students live on the west side of town because it's closer to the school. The residence in the university looked shitty. The residence buildings on campus weren't too bad. For first year I'd probably tell you to stay in residence just for the experience of it. May as well go full animal house for a year. After that, it's better to live off campus somewhere.

The nightlife was fun, but I'm told it's changed a bit in recent years. Parties everywhere, on and off campus. Everyone from the school goes to Studio on Thursdays, and it's a total shitshow. I'm not sure if Roadhouse is still around, but I never had a great time there anyway. The west side doesn't really have party bars, but there were a couple pubs back then. I think the Duke is closed now, or has changed names. Backstreet is still around and wasn't too bad.

From my experience, it looked like a fun place to go to school. Try to go to some of your classes and pass first year, it'll help in the long run. Otherwise, wrap it up and all that. May as well enjoy the first year shenanigans when you're young.

Ctystar
06-24-2013, 11:56 PM
Il definately be working hard to get my grades up. Is there anyway to get into the party scene? Does living on residents pretty much gurantees it? I know highschool parties are quite easy to get into

ercchry
06-25-2013, 12:26 AM
back when i was there the people is res were brutal... no parties in res were fun. its like it was the first time any of them drank was in first year res :rofl:

ummm, but if you are staying on campus... get some good walking shoes... and uh yeah. they call the dorms "the dungeon" ...for good reason

most kids stay off campus and prefer the west side... if you want to party get a place near the duke (it also helps that its across the street from the school)

i lived just south of downtown... which is great if you like cheap rye on fridays

it was also cheaper to not buy a parking pass and just pay your weekly parking ticket same day on your way home (if you are living near downtown)

its also nice cause you can park near whatever building your class is in... waaay less walking. which is great when you are hungover

***disclaimer, my info is circa 2006

Ctystar
06-26-2013, 02:01 PM
Oh just letting everyone know, I wont be staying at the uhall. Il be staying at the Piikani House - 4 Bedrm Apt

ercchry
06-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Ctystar
Oh just letting everyone know, I wont be staying at the uhall. Il be staying at the Piikani House - 4 Bedrm Apt

i thought 1st years didnt have a choice?

Ctystar
06-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Im a transfer student but still considered a 1st year lol