PDA

View Full Version : You may not have to eat in the future

themack89
07-03-2013, 08:20 PM
http://www.inc.com/christine-lagorio/soylent-start-up-hacking-food.html

embarked on research on essential nutrients for humans, purchased FDA-approved versions of each, and consulted the National Institute for Medicine for daily recommended doses of each. Then he decided to become his own guinea pig, ingesting solely this powder concoction composed largely of carbs, amino acids, fiber, and vitamins.

"I didn't really expect it to work for very long. The first couple days, I was like, 'well, I'm still alive,'" he says. "It was sort of like I was pushing off shore. After three days or so, it was strange realizing there was no food in my system and I was subsisting entirely on chemicals. But I felt fantastic. I felt euphoric. I felt full of energy."

Rhinehart had his blood tested, half-anticipating a deficiency in some nutrient, but found none. He's still in testing phase, going on five months on Soylent, with very occasional solid meals. He's launched Soylent into a full-blown company with a crowdfunding round, and a few dozen new guinea pigs--some of whom are also testing their blood for signs of trouble, and posting results online. Plenty of them are Silicon Valley types. Some are journalists.

Disoblige
07-03-2013, 08:27 PM
That is so cool. I could see so many useful applications of this.

Tej.S
07-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Wtf.. I love my food.

ercchry
07-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Tej.S
Wtf.. I love my food.

:werd:

im sure people can/do survive on only supplements... but nutrients is only a very small reason why i eat food

jwslam
07-04-2013, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
nutrients is only a very small reason why i eat food
This

flipstah
07-04-2013, 07:08 AM
Soylent now comes in many flavors, including Green!

themack89
07-04-2013, 07:36 AM
If your only response is "I love my food" then I think you're missing the point haha. This is a huge step in food science!

Like the guy who invented it remarked, you may not have time to enjoy your food or for a million different other reasons. But instead you can down a perfectly balanced meal in liquid form.

Seriously, I think thats awesome

lilmira
07-04-2013, 07:38 AM
This can't replace food for me. I need my lard and chicken skin and I don't prefer sucking my food through a straw.

Phl0xed
07-04-2013, 08:06 AM
Definitely sounds like the ultimate meal replacement. Sleep in longer in the mornings? Yes please.

ExtraSlow
07-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
Soylent now comes in many flavors, including Green! Totally this.

woodywoodford
07-04-2013, 09:35 AM
I wonder if living off this stuff would effect your digestive process at all? ie. if I consume soylent 5 days a week, then on weekends go out for a big steak dinner, would I even be able to comfortably digest it or would my body be all "wtf is this shit?" I just mean I know my body adjusts to what I'm eating, and when I try something new it almost always causes at least some indigestion.

Tik-Tok
07-04-2013, 09:37 AM
Sweet. Just needs government approval now, and employers won't need to legally give lunch breaks anymore!

Originally posted by woodywoodford
I wonder if living off this stuff would effect your digestive process at all? ie. if I consume soylent 5 days a week, then on weekends go out for a big steak dinner, would I even be able to comfortably digest it or would my body be all "wtf is this shit?" I just mean I know my body adjusts to what I'm eating, and when I try something new it almost always causes at least some indigestion.

I guarantee you it will. There's several foods that if I don't eat for awhile, really upsets my stomach the next time I do (red meat/steak being a big one)

BigMass
07-04-2013, 10:22 AM
8Sp-VFBbjpE

taemo
07-04-2013, 10:43 AM
http://i.livescience.com/images/i/000/037/810/iFF/soylent.jpg
to replace this?
http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2007/01/02/valentines_steak_lg.jpg

no thanks

if you don't have time to cook or even eat, there's something wrong with you as a human being.

this reminds me of a comic strip I saw a while ago about people buying something or paying something to make their lives easier, giving them shortcut to give them time to do something else.. but what?

Tik-Tok
07-04-2013, 10:45 AM
lol @ google ads

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/TykTauk/soylentcatfood.png

JRSC00LUDE
07-04-2013, 11:59 AM
There's interesting prospects for famine situations and malnourishment issues, are there not? It seems, at its surface, to have great potential beyond simple convenience.