PDA

View Full Version : How to start tutoring

Myrrinda
07-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Hey,

So I've determined that I'll have some extra spare time this fall, and I've thought about tutoring accounting. Has anyone on here ever offered tutoring services? I'm not sure if the best way to go about it is to put up bulletins at the schools, or advertise on Kijiji, or if I can register with the schools themselves as a tutor? Any info that can point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. :)

CanmoreOrLess
07-17-2013, 06:15 PM
I had a couple of tutors in university, worth every single dollar. I asked at the specific school for a lead, for example I had a math tutor (masters student) and he was on a list of tutors from the math department. For the first time I was able to actually see the beauty in math, without a tutor this would not have been possible. I suppose a notice on a board at the university would work as well, they normally need an OK from some authority though obviously.

A790
07-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Ad on Kijiji :)

EK69
07-18-2013, 09:11 AM
What specifically are you looking to tutor in?
Some specific class? Financial accounting or managerial (cost) or taxation or auditing or what?
That's something you should put in your advertisements that will help you out.
It will also help the student see what you are offering help in

Also how much? I may be able to refer some people to check out your ads too

Myrrinda
07-18-2013, 11:23 AM
I'd probably stick with basic financial accounting, taxation and auditing. I don't deal much with derivatives, pensions, etc, so I'd rather stay away from the more advanced courses. I'd need a refresher myself. And as a CA, my knowledge of managerial is very basic, so I'd probably be best to avoid that as well.

Thanks for the help guys! I'll try contacting the business schools about putting my name in and see what they say :)

Edit: I missed the "how much" question. I'm not really sure about this either. A former coworker was tutoring intro level accounting back in 2008 for $40/hour, so I'd probably base my rate off of that. Maybe a little more for audit/tax.