PDA

View Full Version : Any Alberta motorcycle forums?

Hollywood
07-17-2013, 07:10 PM
Hey are there other popular motorcycle forums out there specific to Calgary? Alberta? Canada?

I'm just trying to get hooked up into the scene.

ercchry
07-17-2013, 07:12 PM
ground pilots is all that comes to mind

RedlineMS
07-18-2013, 07:52 AM
Lots of groups on Facebook now.

Hollywood
07-18-2013, 08:01 AM
I checked out ground pilots, seemed quite quiet there.

I have been anti facebook. Are groups "forum like" or just another discussion feed same as regular fb?

Masked Bandit
07-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Ground Pilots has lost a lot of steam over the last couple of years. It's too bad, I used to be quite active over there. The motorcycle sub-forum here isn't too bad but not much for organized rides & such.

With that said I think CGP is still a viable option. Ask an honest question (not just trolling) and there is a ton of valuable info on the board.

pf0sh0
07-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Facebook has a decent groups. There are couple hundred members in 403riders. These guys go on tonnes of cruises.

I think you have to be invited into it though. I'm sure there are a bunch of members from beyond on there too.

swak
07-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Check out Canada Motorcycle.
www.facebook/com/groups/canadamotorcycle

Planned cruises, mid-week meets and with membership 20% off at Bow Cycle North :D

Also the nice thing about facebook groups is it keeps the active topics at the top, and with the number of people on the group, should get some quality responses

ercchry
07-18-2013, 11:01 AM
just make sure you dont have your own opinion on these facebook groups.

GOnSHO
07-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Not true, Canada Motorcycle and the admins are very open to ANY discussion.. we strive to make the group as diverse and open minded as possible

ercchry
07-18-2013, 11:55 AM
...isnt elliot an admin? :rofl:

Graham_A_M
07-18-2013, 12:08 PM
^id recommend Canada motorcycle by far. There used to be another forum called calgaryunderground.com, actually CUG on here used to run it, but it's stone dead right now, I haven't logged in for years (his username being CUG is obviously the acronym for his old site). CGP is the only other forum, but those guys are idiots, the typical "Shells angels" type people. There are a few good riders on there, but most are squids and goofs. I refuse to join for that reason alone. I'm glad to hear it too is falling by the wayside.

firebane
07-18-2013, 12:25 PM
I understand the need for areas for people to come together but I don't like how Facebook has become that medium.

I do not use Facebook and haven't used it for a very long time. I too searched a long time for any reputable forums for bike riders in Alberta/Calgary and all I could find was stuff on Facebook.

Perhaps unfortunate for me to miss out but also unfortunate those groups who choose to only be on facebook to lose a large user base too.

Disoblige
07-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Yeah, I don't really like using FB for that either.

I rather have a motorcycle meet/cruise thread on Beyond like we used to before it went to FB. The only problem was that no one on Beyond wanted to meet up lol.

GOnSHO
07-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Canada Motorcycle is currently working on a website, so we can move away from a FB page.

in the mean time, i was gonna see if Rage would open up a spot in bike talk for our group

JVR1
07-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by GOnSHO
in the mean time, i was gonna see if Rage would open up a spot in bike talk for our group

not a bad idea.

i'm sure some people may disagree but one thing i like knowing when joining in on a group ride is the pace the riders intend to maintain. i like seeing things on other forums where people describe the riding style.

ie. "hitting up 1A, pace will probably be 10-20 over speedlimit for the most part"

or

"going 22x to bragg. speedlimit all the way"

maybe even..

"quick boot around the city. will be riding like an angry teenager that wasn't hugged enough"

GOnSHO
07-18-2013, 03:58 PM
LOL true..

Again, we as a group are trying to advance the rider community, we only ever ride to the ability of our weakest rider and try to get give tips/tricks and help anyway. The last thing we want to do is alienate or leave someone behind. We also dont want to be classified with those that ride like idiots, we all have our fun but when riding as a group, we want to show that we are respectful group.

Graham_A_M
07-18-2013, 04:51 PM
^ I'd stand behind that 100%. I've always hated group rides because my personal experience has always been the opposite of that. I went on a group ride with Steve ("Got Rice", on here) and it was amazing, it was 12 of us on 9 bikes. Everybody was well behaved and we had a blast going for beers and food in Canmore.

It would be cool if we had a beyond riders group, to which our own little subsection, but it's hard to justify that outside of the current bike section & bike classifieds.

ercchry
07-18-2013, 05:56 PM
here is my problem right here with the group (and im SURE i am not alone)

"Admin Staff Include:
Brett S., Travis B., Zale B., Josh L., Henry H., Elliot H., Ryan M. & Ed J."

Elliot H aka scat aka snowcat... pretty straight forward

Josh L, a carry over from the "beyond riders group"... fun times have been had, here is how "open to opinion" Josh is:

Nolan posts this very mature post in the group:

"I'm all about meeting new people to ride with how ever with all the recent stuff going on we don't actually know alot of the people in this group. I think that if there are people in this group who did not show up to any rides this summer they should be removed from this group. No to be a dick but there were PLENTY of opportunities to come meet the majority of us over this whole summer. There's just too many people who have joined/been invited and for what if they choose not to ride with this group. IMO this is a riding group if you don't partake there is no need to have you around. Not to mention this could eliminate possible u/c po po! :D"

(this is right after Mr. snowcat's brilliant youtube videos made the news)

my response:

"if i felt like it wouldnt negatively affect my driving record, maybe i would come out. but i also dont have a fast bike anymore and would rather not struggle to keep up. plus it sucks on the highway. you really shouldnt be posting any incriminating on the internet anyways. cause it will always have a way to come back and bite you right in the anus. just ask our good friend elliot in a week when the boys in blue hand deliver him a few yellow and pink slips of paper"

Nolan:

"Incriminate? If you ever showed up you would know we actually don't speed. We have a young lady on here who started out a very novice rider on a very very slow and underpowered bike (no offense) and she was defs a semi regular rider with us never had to 'struggle' to keep up. And as a group we have never been ticketed on a ride because we ride to the rules of the road . Any tickets mentioned in this group were acquired on those individuals own time."

Me:

"and the videos of highway stunting... closed course, right? and if there is nothing incriminating, then why care who is in the group?"

Nolan:

"Why care? Why be in a group if people are not going to partake in the sole purpose that the group was started for. My opinion anyways."

Me:

"when i joined this group i was fulling committed to coming out. first cruise i saw was a highway cruise. which i really dont like doing on my current bike. then stunting videos on a very public roadway were posted. then just super squid/immature comments. also saying why care is rather hypocritical, dont you think? but really, im too old and busy to bother with this shit. so have fun!"

THEN Josh comes in:

"you should check out the 403riders group you should fit in there"

...and i'm removed from the group...

so yeah, THIS is why i dont fucking believe a word about this "new" group. same old shit leopards, just a different name

Graham_A_M
07-18-2013, 06:06 PM
^ Whoah, Scat is Snowcat? crazy.

Looks like a joke of a group. Last wednesday meet I was talking with a guy on a black CBR600, he did a lot of work for that 403riders, and was ousted due to a bunch of things..

All in all it seems like a total joke they are. Which is yet another reason Im not on any local bike groups any more. :nut: :banghead:

ercchry
07-18-2013, 06:09 PM
No, that was "403 riders" it was the "beyond riders group" yeah! BEYOND... but yeah, all of them are probably the same. this new canada motorcycle group is pretty much the same people

Hollywood
07-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Facebook =drama which is why I am adverse to using it. IIt's too bad these communities are run from it. What happened to the good olé days of forums..

Graham_A_M
07-18-2013, 08:18 PM
^ Yeah no doubt. What happened with so many actual forums, is they took off with a huge following, then bit by bit members started falling off, then it slowed down noticeably until people just stopped bothering checking it. I've seen a good number of forums die this way.

Most of the local ones are the same way. Yeah I fully agree about Facebook, which is why Im on it perhaps a few times a year at best. Just bullshit really.

swak
07-19-2013, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
Admin Staff Include:
Brett S., Travis B., Zale B., Josh L., Henry H., Elliot H., Ryan M. & Ed J.

same old shit leopards, just a different name

I agree there may have been some troubles on the last forum, so thats why Canada Motorcycle came out of the works and you will see that "Beyond Motorcycle Cruise" is pretty much dead.

I encourage you to check us out though, i can assure you that you will not encounter the same problems.
I have a significant background in sociology and my whole intent of starting Canada Motorcycle was to bring everyone together peacefully, encourage partnership in the powersports community while giving back to the riders 110% of what can be given, and giving the motorcycle community a better name than it may have (ie. hooliganism and disrespect (incl. unsafe riding and deleting members for their opinions for example). This is a group for Everyone to get together... It's not my group, or the admin's group... it's OUR's. It will always be that way.

Check us out, or PM me if you have any other concerns!
We will do what we can for any rider, anywhere.

EDIT: Note too, Canada Motorcycle will not solely be a "Facebook Group" shortly. We are currently working on a webpage for everyone to interact on, on all fronts!

AJS.Si
07-27-2013, 01:50 AM
Im waiting on ths website as I would like to enjoy and partake in what Canada Motorcycle is trying to do, but i do not go anywhere near FB so hurry up with that please before we run out of summer :). Thx man. Till then just keep shootin me txts when there's something happening

GOnSHO
07-27-2013, 01:55 PM
Just a heads up to everyone...

we are going to be working VERY closely with beyond on this and most likely will be taking over the BIKE TALK area...

im sure very few of you are aware of how hard and how much work it takes to run/maintain a forum...

Graham_A_M
07-27-2013, 08:20 PM
^ Lol, so Brett is the newest Mod then? hahaha.

firebane
07-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by GOnSHO
Just a heads up to everyone...

we are going to be working VERY closely with beyond on this and most likely will be taking over the BIKE TALK area...

im sure very few of you are aware of how hard and how much work it takes to run/maintain a forum...

If you need any help let me know. I have setup and been part of a few.

GOnSHO
07-27-2013, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the offer man, we will be opening up the admins portion when we find out what kind of work and involvement is needed!

swak
07-27-2013, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ Lol, so Brett is the newest Mod then? hahaha.

Yeah, pretty 'green' to the whole Canada Motorcycle thing :angel:

Originally posted by firebane

If you need any help let me know. I have setup and been part of a few.

PM me if you see any areas that you can help in... We'll definitely keep those interested and dedicated to 'Canada Motorcycle' in mind!

Its all about community at the end of the day... So we are always appreciative of any support :D

For those of you who don't know, you can check us out on facebook at:
www.facebook.com/groups/canadamotorcycle

Or check out our LIKE page for major updates and information on whats happening
www.facebook.com/canadamotorcycle
... or click my sig. :thumbsup:

RedlineMS
07-29-2013, 09:46 AM
With all groups and clubs, you might have to try a few to get a good "fit". You won't like them all and all of them may not like you, that's why there are all types out there IMO. Keep looking until you find a bunch of riders just like you.

snowcat
08-02-2013, 03:44 PM
here is my problem right here with the group (and im SURE i am not alone)

"Admin Staff Include:
Brett S., Travis B., Zale B., Josh L., Henry H., Elliot H., Ryan M. & Ed J."

Elliot H aka scat aka snowcat... pretty straight forward

Josh L, a carry over from the "beyond riders group"... fun times have been had, here is how "open to opinion" Josh is:

Nolan posts this very mature post in the group:

"I'm all about meeting new people to ride with how ever with all the recent stuff going on we don't actually know alot of the people in this group. I think that if there are people in this group who did not show up to any rides this summer they should be removed from this group. No to be a dick but there were PLENTY of opportunities to come meet the majority of us over this whole summer. There's just too many people who have joined/been invited and for what if they choose not to ride with this group. IMO this is a riding group if you don't partake there is no need to have you around. Not to mention this could eliminate possible u/c po po! :D"

(this is right after Mr. snowcat's brilliant youtube videos made the news)

my response:

"if i felt like it wouldnt negatively affect my driving record, maybe i would come out. but i also dont have a fast bike anymore and would rather not struggle to keep up. plus it sucks on the highway. you really shouldnt be posting any incriminating on the internet anyways. cause it will always have a way to come back and bite you right in the anus. just ask our good friend elliot in a week when the boys in blue hand deliver him a few yellow and pink slips of paper"

Nolan:

"Incriminate? If you ever showed up you would know we actually don't speed. We have a young lady on here who started out a very novice rider on a very very slow and underpowered bike (no offense) and she was defs a semi regular rider with us never had to 'struggle' to keep up. And as a group we have never been ticketed on a ride because we ride to the rules of the road . Any tickets mentioned in this group were acquired on those individuals own time."

Me:

"and the videos of highway stunting... closed course, right? and if there is nothing incriminating, then why care who is in the group?"

Nolan:

"Why care? Why be in a group if people are not going to partake in the sole purpose that the group was started for. My opinion anyways."

Me:

"when i joined this group i was fulling committed to coming out. first cruise i saw was a highway cruise. which i really dont like doing on my current bike. then stunting videos on a very public roadway were posted. then just super squid/immature comments. also saying why care is rather hypocritical, dont you think? but really, im too old and busy to bother with this shit. so have fun!"

THEN Josh comes in:

"you should check out the 403riders group you should fit in there"

...and i'm removed from the group...

so yeah, THIS is why i dont fucking believe a word about this "new" group. same old shit leopards, just a different name

Congrats, you just showed what a whiney hater you are

:rolleyes:

ercchry
08-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by snowcat

Congrats, you just showed what a whiney hater you are

:rolleyes:

congrats, you just proved my point :rolleyes:

Disoblige
08-02-2013, 03:55 PM
I don't agree with removing people from a group just because they don't show up to the rides. I personally only like riding with 2-4 people MAX so we can stay tight. I use the group to stay in touch with some riders but also to see what's up from time to time.

It's like if Beyond started removing members just because they don't post.

swak
08-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
I don't agree with removing people from a group just because they don't show up to the rides. I personally only like riding with 2-4 people MAX so we can stay tight. I use the group to stay in touch with some riders but also to see what's up from time to time.

It's like if Beyond started removing members just because they don't post.

Agreed 100%!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I personally too like smaller more 'intimate' rides if you will.... Gives you a better feeling of who's around you and easier to stay together as a group.

I do it for the communal/social environment associated with these groups/forums, etc...

This is the whole reason what brought up Canada Motorcycle...
As an admin of Canada Motorcycle (on behalf of all the admins), everything done for the group is done for the riders and the community! I do it to give back as much as possible and to grow the community. Nobody has intentions of making money off the Memberships sold as part of the group etc....

Graham_A_M
08-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Its honestly impossible for Snowcat/Scat to not cause shit which always results in him being banned, Ive lost count as to how many times hes been beaten with the banhammer.... yet still more of the same.

snowcat
08-02-2013, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Its honestly impossible for Snowcat/Scat to not cause shit which always results in him being banned, Ive lost count as to how many times hes been beaten with the banhammer.... yet still more of the same.

What on earth are you talking about? The issue eric has doesn't have anything to do with me, he just likes to bring up random shit that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

turbotrip
08-02-2013, 10:13 PM
all these "motorcycle groups" are filled with idiots because the vast majority of motorcycle riders are idiots- fact

ercchry
08-03-2013, 12:25 AM

What on earth are you talking about? The issue eric has doesn't have anything to do with me, he just likes to bring up random shit that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Every issue i have with this shit somehow comes back to you elliot... and if brett was serious about this new group he would NOT have you in anyway associated with it.

snowcat
08-03-2013, 01:06 AM

Every issue i have with this shit somehow comes back to you elliot... and if brett was serious about this new group he would NOT have you in anyway associated with it.

In your mind everything comes back to me.

You have a weird obsession. Get over yourself.

Go4Long
08-03-2013, 02:26 AM

In your mind everything comes back to me.

You have a weird obsession. Get over yourself.

If it involves you riding a motorcycle I don't want to be within 50 miles of it...

Everyone who has ridden bikes with any groups knows the riders like you...the ones that get a bike and 6 months later assert that they're gods gift to riding...go around telling everyone else about how they're doing it wrong, lecturing drivers and buzzing pedestrians like they found a badge in their fruit loops...you're bad for the riding community, you're bad for other people's safety, and you're bad for any other rider that is just trying to go around not getting hasssled by the police.

but that's just my opinion...I haven't made any YouTube videos so clearly I'm no expert.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...we as riders are often defined by the worst among us...and when you're with a group with some of the worst, you deserve it. I'm pretty careful in who I choose to ride with for that exact reason. Unless I'm leading the ride or know the person that is leading I won't go on a larger ride...and I avoid any rides that certain people say they're attending.

The people in charge of this new forum should be mindful of what sort of message they're sending when they appoint certain people as admins.

snowcat
08-03-2013, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Go4Long

If it involves you riding a motorcycle I don't want to be within 50 miles of it...

Everyone who has ridden bikes with any groups knows the riders like you...the ones that get a bike and 6 months later assert that they're gods gift to riding...go around telling everyone else about how they're doing it wrong, lecturing drivers and buzzing pedestrians like they found a badge in their fruit loops...you're bad for the riding community, you're bad for other people's safety, and you're bad for any other rider that is just trying to go around not getting hasssled by the police.

but that's just my opinion...I haven't made any YouTube videos so clearly I'm no expert.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...we as riders are often defined by the worst among us...and when you're with a group with some of the worst, you deserve it. I'm pretty careful in who I choose to ride with for that exact reason. Unless I'm leading the ride or know the person that is leading I won't go on a larger ride...and I avoid any rides that certain people say they're attending.

The people in charge of this new forum should be mindful of what sort of message they're sending when they appoint certain people as admins.

Interesting assumptions and opinions. Bad drivers deserve to be lectured. Their lack of driving knowledge and skills effect those immediately around them. This is how collisions are caused.

You can talk about the pedi all you want, the fact of the matter I was not in the wrong.

Have you ridden with me? The answer is no. Until such time, you may keep your opinion to yourself.

Our last group ride, 33 bikes - was very successful, and others can vouch that the only two riders that went down in the twisties was not me, it was other riders leaving our slowest group, which myself and David were leading.

There were no schenanigans and no police. It was a fantastic ride, but you know all of that obviously, due to your assumptions and misinformed gerneralisations.

speedog
08-03-2013, 10:32 AM

Interesting assumptions and opinions. Bad drivers deserve to be lectured. Their lack of driving knowledge and skills effect those immediately around them. This is how collisions are caused.

You can talk about the pedi all you want, the fact of the matter I was not in the wrong.

Have you ridden with me? The answer is no. Until such time, you may keep your opinion to yourself.

Our last group ride, 33 bikes - was very successful, and others can vouch that the only two riders that went down in the twisties was not me, it was other riders leaving our slowest group, which myself and David were leading.

There were no schenanigans and no police. It was a fantastic ride, but you know all of that obviously, due to your assumptions and misinformed gerneralisations.
Maybe it's just me, but two riders going down doesn't equate to a successful group ride to me even if it was only minor cosmetic damage.

Of course, maybe these two weren't considered part of 33 bikes in that last group ride - go down and you're not counted?

RickDaTuner
08-03-2013, 10:34 AM
I was on that last cruise with snowcat, and true enough it was a very mellow cruise, but the average age of each ride was closer to the 30s rather than the mean average of 16-25. We also had everything from an avid racer on an s1000-R to week old riders on 250Rs

Canada motorcycle is trying hard to put a good face for the riding community, they have sponsors to keep happy. There are also standing rules for group riding which greatly discourage shenanigans.

In contrast I've also been on a cruise with 403riders through Calgary, and that was a completely different experience. There was excessive speeding, kids doing wheelies, and just general douchyness from the group. While this group does have "rules" they are more there to keep the novice riders from getting in trouble when the "seasoned riders" decide to run amuck.

I can't speak for who snowcat is directly because I don't think I introduced myself when on the cruise.

But as far as riding groups go, I'd much rather ride with CM.

snowcat
08-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by speedog

Maybe it's just me, but two riders going down doesn't equate to a successful group ride to me even if it was only minor cosmetic damage.

Of course, maybe these two weren't considered part of 33 bikes in that last group ride - go down and you're not counted?

"The only 2 bikes to go down left the main slow group which myself and David were leading".

speedog
08-03-2013, 10:47 AM
"The only 2 bikes to go down left the main slow group which myself and David were leading".
So not part of the successful group ride then?

snowcat
08-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
I was on that last cruise with snowcat, and true enough it was a very mellow cruise, but the average age of each ride was closer to the 30s rather than the mean average of 16-25. We also had everything from an avid racer on an s1000-R to week old riders on 250Rs

Canada motorcycle is trying hard to put a good face for the riding community, they have sponsors to keep happy. There are also standing rules for group riding which greatly discourage shenanigans.

In contrast I've also been on a cruise with 403riders through Calgary, and that was a completely different experience. There was excessive speeding, kids doing wheelies, and just general douchyness from the group. While this group does have "rules" they are more there to keep the novice riders from getting in trouble when the "seasoned riders" decide to run amuck.

I can't speak for who snowcat is directly because I don't think I introduced myself when on the cruise.

But as far as riding groups go, I'd much rather ride with CM.

I completely agree - I left 403riders when they had ~120 members (they have 700 now), because the first group ride 7 guys were issued pink tickets for doing 100 over the limit!

Our next ride I'll make sure I introduce myself to more members.

Go4Long
08-03-2013, 10:52 AM

YES YOU WERE. Holy fuck you're delusional. Have you never heard the expression two wrongs don't make a right? Was the pedestrian Jaywalking? sure...does that make you in the right to buzz him? fuck no. and this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about, you have no concept of reality.

swak
08-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Its pretty unfair to generalize the quality of a group or community in general based on your perceptions of one in it. Are we serious about this group? You bet we are - and key and paramount to our growth is the continuation of an ideal in support of safe riding and positive growth and Fun surrounding the motorsports community.

To those who haven't met Elliot, he is one of the safest, well versed and law abiding riders out there... He also is liked by many in our group - and has brought out a lot of new riders in safe manners to teach them how to ride - they have expressed their positive feeling to me thereafter... And I'm not blowing smoke..

I would love to see you guys out there on a cruise, at a meet or something with us! I've said it time and time again, we are here to build community in support of a positive name surrounding motor/powersports... If anything were to challenge that in our group we would work on revamping whatever needed to happen to continue the positive image we are working to portray!
This means if an admin were squidding it up and not supporting the group, or giving the group a bad name by association, they wouldn't be an admin much longer. Right now, this isn't an issue though. All admins are doing a great job supporting the community - every one.

Again, we are open arms to anyone and everyone interested in our social network of motorcyclists and motorcycle enthusiasts alike. We'll be the major bike display at Illmotion too for anyone interested! I'm a short white guy - willing to talk about any of this in hopes of clarifying any of your doubts in person.

EDIT: And thanks for the good words Rick! Like I said, we are here to support and clean up the image in the community!

swak
08-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by speedog

So not part of the successful group ride then?

If they did wheelies and excessive speeds IN the group, then I'd consider it unsuccessful. The fact that they left the group, to leave early, says a lot... I can't stop anyone from riding excessively... I can stop them from doing it in the middle of a group ride... We did that.

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-03-2013, 02:58 PM
I found that the "Beyond riders group" did a few shenanigans, and being a new rider I typically didn't go out on the rides for these reasons.

That being said, Canada Motorcycle is much more "my speed" (aka, I'll still be alive and without tickets at the end of the day).

Brett tries pretty hard to keep the members happy, and keep a good face for the group.

I typically don't make many of the group rides, as I don't have much time to just go out and ride, yet I still feel welcome on the group, and when I go to beyond meets and such.

ercchry
08-04-2013, 02:01 AM
even before elliot threw a leg over a bike i had this urge to slap him in the fucking face. he is a retard, that will never change. if you openly associate your group with people like that i will never take you serious. AND I AM NOT ALONE, the sooner you realize that Brett, the more successful you will be.

Go4Long
08-04-2013, 02:58 AM
it's one thing to have him as a member, and perhaps the brush with police notoriety has calmed him down. I'm all for second chances and all that, but yes, at some point you have to realize that he's got a reputation which is unfavorable and unavoidable and selecting him as a person to represent your group is going to turn a lot of people off without even giving you a chance.

OneGreasyHobo
08-04-2013, 08:38 AM
poop

CUG
08-16-2013, 01:05 AM
Hahah Graham, still throwing plugs my way. The forum ran its course. Facebook groups and content aggregate sites are sort of how it's going these days. I also don't own a motorcycle anymore and am happy to have survived those years of my life.

Graham_A_M
08-16-2013, 09:44 AM
^ Yeah its too bad you sold it... When I rode with you, I can earnestly see you enjoying quite a few more years of your life on top of a bike, you were a decent rider, that wasn't an idiot in the least.... I feel quite frustrated that you let a couple bad encounters sway your decision to continue riding....
I think that decision was like a lot of others I see though, people have a bit of a scare or two, then forget all the fun that can come with riding, and just play it safe and sell the bike. I've had a couple scares too over the years, but all the joys I've had from riding over my whole life will never be out weighed by a few "oh shit" moments, I just wish you felt the same as I always enjoyed going for rides with you and hanging out.

Yeah, CUG was like most forums... they get off to a good start, lose momentum, then eventually fall by the way side, since its rather pointless for a few active members to try to keep the forum going, when fewer and fewer people contribute, eventually it just collapses, and is forgotten. I've seen a few local and much smaller forums do that. CUG was always a smaller forum, but a good one.
I tried to advertise it as much as I could and get things going, but to barely any success....

viff3r
08-22-2013, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip
all these "motorcycle groups" are filled with idiots because the vast majority of motorcycle riders are idiots- fact
Lol. I've found this to be quite true. Which is why I prefer riding solo these days.

Nice to see some Calgary riders trying to revive the scene, though. CGP was pretty active from 2004-2009, but it has been dying a slow painful death since then.

Back to the OP, I know there was an Edmonton forum years ago that I checked out while I was briefly living there. Edmonton Sport Riders I think? A few of them were goofs but it was a pretty lively forum.

I think the advent of Facebook and other social media has killed off many local forums, people in general simply prefer to use FB/twitter etc when they have time to kill. Beyond being a notable exception.