PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Engineering technology difficulty

arashdhot
07-17-2013, 10:31 PM
I am starting Electrical Engineering Technology diploma this September at BCIT (Burnaby). What level of difficulty can I expect. I got 87 in Math 12, 83 in chemistry 12 and 80 in physics 12. And how is the job market for electrical technologists these days especially for new guys. Appreciate your answers guys

JordanEG6
07-18-2013, 08:21 AM
I graduated from the SAIT program in 2006. It was apparently one of the hardest courses at SAIT, but I found it to be pretty easy still. Not sure how it is at BCIT, but from what I heard, the SAIT EET course was watered down and made a little easier. You should be fine.

As far as jobs go, it depends where and what field. It's a pretty steady market at the moment, I would say. I'm in O&G, so it's pretty slow this summer, I don't expect alot of hiring for juniors anytime soon in most places, but you're looking at a couple years before even considering that. But when I graduated, most us were able to find jobs within a few weeks.

Matty_10
07-18-2013, 11:39 AM
For jobs talk to BC Hydro tho when I talked to them due to confidential reasons they couldn't tell me a lot, but they do have technologist in training program kinda how the EIT thing is. And I'm also taking EET this September so im no help for how difficult it is.

dirtsniffer
07-18-2013, 11:49 AM
So you'd be a TIT then?

rinny
07-18-2013, 03:03 PM
EET is easy. I mean, many programs are easy, you just have to apply yourself. For SAIT EET, I applied myself when needed and got by just fine.

That being said, you get out of it what you put into it!

And BC Hydro jobs- yea there's plenty for technologists, as a design tech you may just be located in a single place for your time, whereas many field techs get 4 year rotations.

AudiPWR
07-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Get an electrical engineering degree instead.. You'll regret it later in life when you realize how hard it is to move up the ranks without being a professional engineer..

Disoblige
07-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by AudiPWR
Get an electrical engineering degree instead.. You'll regret it later in life when you realize how hard it is to move up the ranks without being a professional engineer..
and it begins.. :rofl:

AudiPWR
07-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

and it begins.. :rofl:

:devil:

FraserB
07-18-2013, 03:42 PM

Just to put this to rest early. It IS possible to have a technologist supervising engineers and be in a managing/supervisory position at an engineering firm. The pay can be comparable to someone with a P.Eng.

It probably is harder to do, but it can be done.

DeleriousZ
07-18-2013, 04:03 PM
I gradded the MET course from sait in 2008 and it was a goddamn breeze. However, from what I heard from the bcit boys, their course was a nightmare.

Cos
07-18-2013, 04:26 PM

bourge73
07-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Oh no Arash is going back to school
For some finely engineered cars

JordanEG6
07-19-2013, 08:30 AM

Haha it begins indeed. ;)

But not necessarily. Technologists CAN stamp drawings with a P.Tech designation (of course a bit more limited than an APEGA/Beaver stamp). Regular Techs can move up with CET and RET titles. Hell, I know a few master electricians in management and partner positions in O&G. Yeah the degree helps, but being a Tech isn't a total loss in climbing the corporate ladder IMO.

Cos
07-19-2013, 03:41 PM

CapnCrunch
07-25-2013, 03:43 PM

:rofl:

rx7_turbo2
07-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

Hell, I know a few master electricians in management and partner positions in O&G. Yeah the degree helps, but being a Tech isn't a total loss in climbing the corporate ladder IMO.

After recently acquiring my Masters Electrician Certification, and with plans to return to SAIT to complete the EET program that's good to hear.

I have no delusions of grandeur, I won't be a P.Eng, I'm 33 and that ship has sailed. However I'm hoping the EET designation combined with my Masters Certification and 8+ years of running my own electrical contracting business will be valuable to a future employer.

m10-power
07-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

After recently acquiring my Masters Electrician Certification, and with plans to return to SAIT to complete the EET program that's good to hear.

I have no delusions of grandeur, I won't be a P.Eng, I'm 33 and that ship has sailed. However I'm hoping the EET designation combined with my Masters Certification and 8+ years of running my own electrical contracting business will be valuable to a future employer.

I'm an EET, I only regret not being an electrician first, never wished I had my p eng. One thing I'd recommend to you is to get your safety codes officer certification. Combined with an EET you will be very valuable to any oil and gas company.

My first boss was a master electrician, an EET and a P.Eng. Pretty sharp and knowledgable person for sure.

rx7_turbo2
07-29-2013, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by m10-power

I'm an EET, I only regret not being an electrician first, never wished I had my p eng. One thing I'd recommend to you is to get your safety codes officer certification. Combined with an EET you will be very valuable to any oil and gas company.

Interesting, never considered the Safety Codes Officer route, have to look into that. Thanks Paul!

Cos
07-29-2013, 06:04 PM

chkolny541
07-29-2013, 07:05 PM
:banghead: :banghead:

Lets not go down the road of tech vs p. eng. You'll do just fine OP.