PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever taken ARHI201 at uofc?

erun2990
08-05-2013, 10:12 AM
how was midterms+final?
Is this course a gpa booster?
how was assignments?

GorG
08-09-2013, 01:09 PM
I took it two years ago as a prerequisite for the architectural minor. Complete shit IMO, two midterms and a final. Midterms were multiple choice, where you needed to recall 7 significant points about 7 pieces out of 30. Final was the same situation except it was cumulative, 7 points on 7 pieces out of 100. Friend took it last year and said it was worst, the text book nearly doubled in size. I have a pretty good memory and finished off with a 92 in the course but IMO way to much work for a 200 level course. Also wouldn't consider it a GPA booster.

dexlargo
08-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Ever? I took this course ~10 years ago and it was one of very few A+ marks I received. It was all memorization. If you're good at memorization, it will be easy. If the memorization is not strong with you, it will be difficult.

I would actually recommend it, because it's kind of nice to sit through a slide show every class, and it was interesting to learn a basic overview of this stuff.

When I took it, there were no assignments, just exams where you look at slides and have to remember what the thing is, what time period it was from, what genre it's in, what region it's from, what its importance was, etc.

When I took it, I thought it was pretty easy and it did boost my GPA, but it played into my strengths. Other people did not do well.

As for the textbook, I don't think I actually read it - I just took good notes in class, then used the textbook for the images of the pieces when studying - kind of like flashcards - so I would recognize them on the exam. Everything on the exams were presented in the lectures.

Could I tell you now what the differences are between Doric, Ionic and Corinthian columns? Nope. But I do remember those names, so I guess some of it has been retained.