PDA

View Full Version : Will these marks screw me for university?

dap19
08-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Being in Alberta really sucks, each diploma exam dropped every subject by like 10 percent or more. But here are my marks:

English 30-1 -69%

Pure Math 30-63%

Biology 30-54%

Social 30-1-64%

Spanish 30-83%

Phys. Ed 30-97%

I know not all universities allow Phys. Ed 30 but still quite a few do so I would try and find a school that lets me use it as a course. With these 6 courses I have roughly a 72% average. I'm taking a few years off for hockey so I am planning on redoing Bio 30, and maybe even another subject. What do you think?

I'm not sure what I want to do yet, I think that Business is something i'm interested in or maybe Kinesiology. And as far as universities go, I'm trying to get a scholarship for hockey in the states but if that doesn't work out then I would go somewhere in Canada, but again who knows.

GQNammer
08-07-2013, 09:35 PM
What kind of degree are you pursuing? Which institute do you wish to attend?

More importantly, have you tried conducting a search using google or picking up the phone to call an administrator's office?

Stellar university material so far imho.

shakalaka
08-07-2013, 09:37 PM
You definitely need better grades to get into most of the decent universities. Also depends on the program you're applying for. Diploma's are a huge pain in the ass, especially if you have to write other IB finals at the same time like I had to. Although, I lucked out and my grades went up after the diploma's.

I would suggest perhaps upgrading a course or two that you have low grades in. I am not sure if phys ed is considered a course a not as it has been a while for me now. It will be 10 years since I graduated high school next year. Perhaps someone who went through the system more recently can shed some light on it for you.

sh0ko
08-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by dap19
Being in Alberta really sucks, each diploma exam dropped every subject by like 10 percent or more. But here are my marks:

English 30-1 -69%

Pure Math 30-63%

Biology 30-54%

Social 30-1-64%

Spanish 30-83%

Phys. Ed 30-97%

I know not all universities allow Phys. Ed 30 but still quite a few do so I would try and find a school that lets me use it as a course. With these 6 courses I have roughly a 72% average. I'm taking a few years off for hockey so I am planning on redoing Bio 30, and maybe even another subject. What do you think?

I'm not sure what I want to do yet, I think that Business is something i'm interested in or maybe Kinesiology. And as far as universities go, I'm trying to get a scholarship for hockey in the states but if that doesn't work out then I would go somewhere in Canada, but again who knows.

if you think alberta is bad for diplomas? just wait till you go to post secondary and your finals are weighted 35-60% of your grade.

also in order to get a scholarship for hockey in the states or wherever it may be... my understanding is that you still need to meet the minimum requirements for admittance into a desired program. My friend got a goalie scholarship across the border and she had to satisfy the grades for everything or it was no deal.

if you want to go to kinese, here is an idea of what you need at u of c for example or even business
http://www.ucalgary.ca/admissions/requirements

you're not looking that great at the moment as its just getting more and more competitive out there. and no i havent heard of many places uses PHYSED as a mark haha!! upgrade and be patient if theres a will theres a way. but no offence looking at those grades for high school. there doesnt seem to be much of a will....yet

ExtraSlow
08-08-2013, 09:53 AM
If you do get a scholarship to any reputable university, please try to focus on your studies while you are there. I work in an industry that hires a lot of former athletes, and to be honest, they are a dime a dozen. you need a solid education to really make a career after hockey ends, and it ends pretty fast for most people.

403ep3
08-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Wow did you skip out on a lot of classes?

I wasn't the best in high school and I ended up skipping 25% of my classes and still got higher grades than yours. Not trying to be an ass, but you better study harder when upgrading and even harder when you get into post secondary.

bjstare
08-08-2013, 10:55 AM
@OP instead of trying to find a school that lets you use Phys Ed as a course for admission (lulz), you should learn to study while upgrading, and absolutely rock those courses. It will better your chances of getting in somewhere, and it will also teach you how to study, which is going to be critical in getting high marks in post secondary studies.

Super_Geo
08-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Totally depends on the program you're trying to get into. If you're good with your hands, consider going into the trades... you'd likely make more that way in the long run than you would with a university degree (judging by nothing your marks).

bh87
08-08-2013, 11:42 AM
From what I remember, all Alberta post secondary institutions allow the use of Phys-Ed as a course towards you student average (assuming your high school is in Alberta), but almost certainly out of province institutions would not.
This could have changed by now though as I graduated High School in 2005.

I agree with the trades comment, looking back at my grades and hobbies I would have been better off having taken up courses and an apprenticeship in a trade. One friend took plumbing courses and an apprenticeship and is now a site supervisor for a decent sized company doing new constructions and I'm still fairly insignificant on the totem pole.

Look in to what trades are out there, what it costs and what you might be interested in.

94CoRd
08-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by bh87
From what I remember, all Alberta post secondary institutions allow the use of Phys-Ed as a course towards you student average (assuming your high school is in Alberta), but almost certainly out of province institutions would not.
This could have changed by now though as I graduated High School in 2005.

I agree with the trades comment, looking back at my grades and hobbies I would have been better off having taken up courses and an apprenticeship in a trade. One friend took plumbing courses and an apprenticeship and is now a site supervisor for a decent sized company doing new constructions and I'm still fairly insignificant on the totem pole.

Look in to what trades are out there, what it costs and what you might be interested in.

I graduated in 2005 - and wasn't able to use Phys-Ed towards my average, but maybe that's dependent on the school?

To the OP - have you written your SAT's? I believe that is a staple for perusing south of the boarder scholarships, and the guys I knew who went down for hockey and school were gifted both athletically, and academically.

I'd upgrade some of your marks, think about taking the SAT's and have a good rookie camp. If you're good enough at hockey - schools will pay to have you on their team.

sh0ko
08-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by 94CoRd

I graduated in 2005 - and wasn't able to use Phys-Ed towards my average, but maybe that's dependent on the school?

To the OP - have you written your SAT's? I believe that is a staple for perusing south of the boarder scholarships, and the guys I knew who went down for hockey and school were gifted both athletically, and academically.

I'd upgrade some of your marks, think about taking the SAT's and have a good rookie camp. If you're good enough at hockey - schools will pay to have you on their team.

me neither haha and i graduated in 05

403ep3
08-08-2013, 03:07 PM
+1 wasn't able to use PE in 2005..

They probably get to use it now.. They are trying to make education easier :banghead:

ExtraSlow
08-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Apparently not easy enough.

rinny
08-08-2013, 06:01 PM
I'd consider doing any upgrading ASAP as when your >19years old you're going to be paying $500-$600 per course for courses that you should have done fine with through high school.

As far as averages, every school has a list of the admissions averages for different programs.

You may do well in University of Lethbridge where it seems anybody with any grades can go to do any course (other than Engineering).

themack89
08-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Just go to a lesser school and transfer later.

cream
08-08-2013, 11:54 PM
Used Phys Ed in 2010. It's a great booster, but your overall average needs to be a bit higher.

bjstare
08-09-2013, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Apparently not easy enough.

zing!

ExtraSlow
08-09-2013, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by cjblair

zing!
Glad someone appreciated this.

403ep3
08-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Glad someone appreciated this.

I didn't wanna be the first ass

But now...:werd:

AudiPWR
08-09-2013, 11:01 AM
MRU might take you.

AudiPWR
08-09-2013, 11:01 AM
MRU might take you.

M.alex
08-09-2013, 11:11 AM
lol @ universities accepting GYM as a course?!?!?!?!?!??!

If you just squeeked by in math how do you think you're going to handle university level calculus and statistics courses (which pretty much every field makes you take to some degree, unless it's something like women's studies, lulz) when they expect a solid base from high school?