PDA

View Full Version : what are my chances of getting/succeeding an engineering tech program witg these mark

GenericUsername
08-14-2013, 07:55 AM
Chemistry 30 - 63
Physics 30 - 66
Math 30 pure - 75
Math 31 calc - 81
English 30-1 - 52

I'm redoing my diplomas for chemistry and physics so might get a few percent more when I get the results back.

FraserB
08-14-2013, 08:20 AM
You can add English to the list of courses you need to re-write

bourge73
08-14-2013, 08:39 AM
" what are my chances of getting/succeeding an engineering tech program witg these mark"

Couldnt imagine why you got such a low mark in Engrish

NoMoreG35
08-14-2013, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by bourge73
" what are my chances of getting/succeeding an engineering tech program witg these mark"

Couldnt imagine why you got such a low mark in Engrish

What's with the sarcasm?

ercchry
08-14-2013, 09:08 AM
i can tell you your odds are higher than getting an eng degree... way less humanities course in a tech program :rofl:

schocker
08-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Engineering tech program sure. You only need a 50 average I thought. Still competitive to get in though. I went to sait with an 80+ average and there was still content that was challenging though in some of the technical classes.

My_name_is_Rob
08-14-2013, 09:41 AM
If I can do it, then anyone can do it. :poosie:

Although it might be a rough start for you if your study habits arnt the best. :dunno:

403ep3
08-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Lol yeah.. why are you NOT re-doing English?

FraserB
08-14-2013, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by schocker
You only need a 50 average I thought. Still competitive to get in though.

Minimum is 50%, but the eng tech programs are competitive and he will probably get tossed from the pile with a 52%.

woodywoodford
08-14-2013, 10:57 AM
Eng math fucking sucks. Just a warning. High school math doesn't even compare.

Cos
08-14-2013, 11:52 AM

dubhead
08-14-2013, 02:18 PM
I got in to SAIT with 80's in Chem and physics but pretty much 50 and 60's across the board( I was pretty lazy in High School). If you struggle with math and physics you likely have a bit of a tough time with these programs. That being said from my experience SAIT is in the business of passing people (thats how they make their money). Basically if your not a total donkey and put in some effort you should make it though a tech program with out to much trouble. Assuming of course you get in which might be tough since the Tech programs have gained greatly in popularity because it's 2 years of school and job prospects are high. They are also popular because in the short to mid term you are coming out pretty far ahead of an Engineering grad, you will get similar pay to likely do similar work with far less debt, that being said in the long term engineers generally will have a easier time moving up the ladder.

ExtraSlow
08-14-2013, 02:30 PM
The Tech programs are a great education option for the reasons that dubhead mentions.

Your marks are pretty low. you need to evaluate yourself honestly and decide if you feel you can really succeed in this program. There are other great programs with excellent job prospects that do not require the same strong grounding in math and physics.

rinny
08-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Cos
If you cant do math or physics you may want to consider not doing an engineering or engineering tech program. My electrical tech was 75% physics, 20% math, 5% everything else (technical writing, etc).

Lol, there was pretty much no physics. It was learning electrical fundamentals and applying some equations.

Realistically, you need to have some decent math skills. They dont have to be great, but if you dont apply yourself in those calculus classes, like any other class, then you will struggle.

It's all about applying yourself and put the effort in. If you do this, you will learn, and you will make progress. A lot of ppl are lazy in HS, and sometimes that carries through. Dont be the guy that doesn't get through a tech diploma program!

The BMW Guy
08-14-2013, 11:14 PM
With all these low grade threads popping up, I think you just have to put your head into the course and you will get +80% on everything. You are, after all, re-learning the same stuff. With that said I remember high school being tough...but then again I never put any effort into studying. Like mentioned above, don't be lazy. Get rid of that habit because you won't survive in post-secondary with it (I know I barely did).

My advice:

1) Figure out what you want to do
2) Upgrade your current marks until you make it into the program you want

I wouldn't recommend going into a program you don't really like and trying to transfer over...it is much easier to simply upgrade your high school marks and then jump right in to the course you want. Transfers sometimes require a pretty high GPA to be accepted (which you will have to work for). So why not just start working hard now on the high school courses you have already taken, it will be super easy the second time around and you might actually enjoy understanding the content.

Your math marks seem to be pretty decent, upgrade the others (maye redo maths at the same time to give you an extra boost) and you can jump into any program you want!

Edit: On a side note, let me know if you want any help. I had decent marks throughout HS and could help you learn any difficult topics.

schocker
08-15-2013, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by rinny
Lol, there was pretty much no physics. It was learning electrical fundamentals and applying some equations.
Electrical is physics :confused:

rinny
08-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by schocker

Electrical is physics :confused:

Physics is the fundamental science behind electrical and IMO you dont learn the fundamental physics, as SAIT is about applications, not science.

I mean, at SAIT you find current by V/R=I.

But if you're talking about the true physical meaning of current, this isnt really taught at SAIT. Courses like Electromagnetism or Semiconducting physics incorporate all the physics behind the electrical nature of devices.

Just saying that SAIT is more about manipulating equations than deriving them from physics, and therefore you need some decent math skills but more-so just a lot of effort.

Cos
08-15-2013, 11:25 AM

icky2unk
08-15-2013, 12:29 PM
What the hell happened to high school grades

toor
08-17-2013, 05:04 AM
High school is a joke, nothing more than babysitting. Since you actually bothered with 30-level classes and got passable marks, there's a very good chance that you do have the work ethic and mental fortitude to apply yourself towards a technical diploma that you have a genuine interest in.

After barely passing my core 23/33-level courses while getting top marks in programming, baking and marketing (priorities, bro) along with failing English enough times that I had to re-do it over the summer (fuck Shakespeare in the eyeballs with a million herpes-soaked cacti), I then proceeded into Electronics Engineering Technology at SAIT as a "mature student" meaning that if you've been out of high school for a year, your marks are totally irrelevant, assuming of course that you can cough up the dough. I watched people smarter than me leave the program because they were there for the wrong reasons. I enjoyed most of the courses thoroughly, slogged through the bullshit ones, worked hard for a decent mark in Math 285 and ended up graduating with a 3.76 overall GPA because I was truly interested and it was what I wanted.

Edit: details on mature students (http://www.sait.ca/admissions/im-applying-as/a-mature-student.php) mention that you still need to meet the admission requirements for the program, so check those out. Not sure if the rules changed, because I certainly didn't have math 30 for ENT, and I barely passed Science 24 :D

It's all about applying yourself and put the effort in. If you do this, you will learn, and you will make progress. A lot of ppl are lazy in HS, and sometimes that carries through. Dont be the guy that doesn't get through a tech diploma program!
Yeah, don't be that guy, although there's no shame in changing your mind. By the first or second semester, you'll know if the program you chose is truly right for you. Keep in mind, post-secondary education WILL be the toughest thing you've ever done: that's kind of the whole point! The trick is to choose something that, even when you're pulling all-nighters, wrangling an uncooperative group project, desperately trying to finish homework on a spare right before its due or wandering in a zombified daze from sustained stress levels that would crush most mere mortals, you'll still be loving the subject matter and eagerly coming back for more. Enjoy that feeling, as it can be elusive in the workforce...

Physics is the fundamental science behind electrical and IMO you dont learn the fundamental physics, as SAIT is about applications, not science.

Just saying that SAIT is more about manipulating equations than deriving them from physics, and therefore you need some decent math skills but more-so just a lot of effort.
While I vaguely recall a short lesson about coulombs (Q?) over time, you're absolutely correct that SAIT is about applications, not so much deep engineering theory.