PDA

View Full Version : UCalgary: Unveil New Logo; Scrap 19 Programs

flipstah
08-21-2013, 10:55 PM
I think their focus is a bit out of wack... :rofl:

http://www.ucalgary.ca/news/utoday/august21-2013/university-simplifies-visual-identity-system

http://www.ucalgary.ca/news/files/news/images/x-University-simplifies-visual-identity-system-500.jpg

The primary objective is to embrace the commitment to creating “one university family.” The Academic Plan – part of the roadmap to achieving our Eyes High goals – highlights the need to work together to create a shared future and unified environment on campus. Simplifying our visual identity system is an important and practical shift in this direction

Meanwhile...

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/773762/university-of-calgary-plans-to-scrap-19-programs/

Programs on the chopping block

Faculty Program Name Specialization

Arts Bachelor of Arts Classical and Early Christian Studies
Arts Bachelor of Arts Leisure, Tourism and Society
Arts Bachelor of Arts Transportation Studies
Arts Bachelor of Fine Arts Developmental Art
Arts Bachelor of Music Music History and Literature
Arts Bachelor of Music Theory
Arts Bachelor of Science Transportation Studies
Science Bachelor of Arts Actuarial Science
Science Bachelor of Arts Applied Mathematics
Science Bachelor of Arts Computer Science
Science Bachelor of Arts Pure Mathematics
Science Bachelor of Arts Statistics
Kinesiology Bachelor of Kinesiology Outdoor Pursuits
Science Bachelor of Science Applied Physics
Arts Bachelor of Music Music History and Theory
Arts Bachelor of Music Elementary Music Education
Arts Bachelor of Arts Economics & Society
Science Bachelor of Science Chemical Physics
Arts Bachelor of Arts History and Philosophy of Science

I didn't know you get a BA in Pure Math. I thought it would've been a BSc...

That sucks lol!

Alberta universities in general, are feeling the pinch:

“You may not major in that topic but it’s always good to have the option to take a class in it to mature your own experience,” said Raphael Jacob, president of the Students’ Union and an arts major. “I think that’s really where we’re going to see all students, not just those at U of C, be affected by these cuts, is with the quality of your education.”

Jacob, meanwhile, said he firmly believes his school is a better financial position than other schools like the University of Alberta, which announced this week it’s cutting 20 arts programs and 300 student science positions, and Mount Royal University, which suspended eight programs in the spring and will reduce enrolment in nursing, education, media studies and other areas.

kaput
08-21-2013, 11:17 PM

Recca168
08-22-2013, 12:23 AM
The science programs are usually BSc. The science programs aren't getting cancelled. Apparently you can get BAs in those mentioned science programs. The program requirements are slightly different. I can't see why anyone would take apply for the BA over the BSc though. I'm guessing almost no one does.

The art programs though... they probably are getting cut

Type_S1
08-22-2013, 03:10 AM
Who cares about cuts in the arts programs? They just leech off funding for real programs where students graduate and become functioning members of society!

If anything arts student should be paying more than any other program since they do not have funding like engineering, law, business, medicine etc.

Overall I think cutting these programs will be better for society in general as there will be less degrees in stuff people can't get jobs with after graduation!

ExtraSlow
08-22-2013, 07:14 AM
I am not at all surprised, nor am I concerned about these cuts. Removing unpopular and under-used programs should be a natural part of any university's self-evaluation.

We add programs all the time, it only makes sense to remove some too.

As for the logos, I'm nostalgic for the previous one, because it was brand new back when I started in 1998. That thing looked so fresh and classy. New one isn't a big change, but I'm sure it'll show up better on the website, which is a major consideration these days.

flipstah
08-22-2013, 09:20 AM
When you look at it closely, those BA Science courses should be gone; didn't even know that's possible.

Why would you even do that? BA in Pure... Math?

Sucks that they're cutting Music and Transportation Studies though. :(

bjstare
08-23-2013, 06:52 AM
I'm a big fan of the 66-83 logo, they should bring that one back haha

killramos
08-23-2013, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
When you look at it closely, those BA Science courses should be gone; didn't even know that's possible.

Why would you even do that? BA in Pure... Math?

Sucks that they're cutting Music and Transportation Studies though. :(

The programs are actually quite popular I know lots of people who have done them, including a few profs. All the differences lie in what you takes as far as an elective balance. For example instead of requiring 60 credits in a BSc math in addition to your pure math courses you are required to take 60 Arts credits.

With that in mind you still belong to say the Facilty of Pure Mathematics, but your actual diploma will be a BA.

TBH I am surprised they are going to go through the rounds to cut the costs since I don't think there is any cost extra to the university over the BSc route. The administrative costs involved with cutting the program are probably higher :rofl:

That said it is probably just an idea to keep all the math students in science courses so they can cut arts class sizes and such funding. Easier to fundraiser for science I imagine.

Btw the corse credits above are just pulled out of thin air, never went to UofC and took a BEng so my understanding of the intricacies might be slightly off.

dirtsniffer
08-23-2013, 10:58 AM
a total of 5 students were effected by the cuts. Heard on 660 this morning...