PDA

View Full Version : Haskayne 317 Tutorials

tdntran
08-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Hi, I was wondering if going to the 317 tutorial were required. I'm also curious what is done in the tutorial. Hrod and Finance are the two tutorial that I am the most curious about because, because if I were to go to school for the tutorial that would be my only class for the day.

jmintz
08-23-2013, 06:00 PM
All 317 tutorials are optional.

HROD tutorial is used for working on your group project which if you are half-capable enough, can split up the work and do on your own. FNCE I would suggest going to if you want to do well in the class.

Civic_Drift
08-23-2013, 11:29 PM
I think there's only 3 HROD tutorials throughout the semester that's worth 3% of your mark so it's up to you if 3% is worth a lot.

As for FNCE 317, definitely go because the tutor (usually Ursula) give out answers to challenging questions and you can write in the coiled pink manual which you can bring into your exam. However, I heard FNCE 317 is changing though.

wishicouldwrench
09-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Don't attend the FNCE 317 tutorials. I didn't go to a single one and got 96% on the MT and 94% on the final.

It's a waste of time because of the formatting. People write down question numbers on the board for the TA to solve on the overhead. This sucks because people tend to ask for help on some of the easy questions you have mastered weeks ago (TVM is pre-course material, you should have started early).

Just go to office hours to get help with the absolute hardest questions.

GQNammer
09-13-2013, 06:37 PM
Going to tutorials definitely has it's ups and downs. Acct was a waste of time and Hrod tutorials were mandatory (only 2 or 3 of them) since attending was worth 1% of your final grade for each tutorial.

Finance on the other hand is all personal preference. At each tutorial, Ursula will give you 2-3 questions that will be on the test and she will work out some scenerios that she's seen on tests in the past. She will also give you specific scenarios where Peggy/Wood will try to trick you. With that being said though, if you were to do the homework and you are confident with how you approached each question, then there's no need to go to tutorials.

sexualbanana
09-19-2013, 10:59 PM
In my day, labs and tutorials at Haskayne were mostly just reserved time slots so that students can't say they can't, or don't, have time to do group projects. Profs will counter with the 60-90 minute slot that you have on your Fridays and say that you should've had that time.

I remember the biggest complaint about exam questions in FNCE 317 was that it wasn't covered in lectures or in the textbook. The trick is that everything has been covered, but questions will often combine a couple different chapters and require multiple steps. So my recommendation is, as you get further along in your chapters, is think about how your previous units will fit in. Ie. Try adding in a TVM element to a question and see what happens.

Just my .02. Unless something has changed in the 7-8 years since I've been there.

wishicouldwrench
09-21-2013, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
In my day, labs and tutorials at Haskayne were mostly just reserved time slots so that students can't say they can't, or don't, have time to do group projects. Profs will counter with the 60-90 minute slot that you have on your Fridays and say that you should've had that time.

I remember the biggest complaint about exam questions in FNCE 317 was that it wasn't covered in lectures or in the textbook. The trick is that everything has been covered, but questions will often combine a couple different chapters and require multiple steps. So my recommendation is, as you get further along in your chapters, is think about how your previous units will fit in. Ie. Try adding in a TVM element to a question and see what happens.

Just my .02. Unless something has changed in the 7-8 years since I've been there.

Well if you master the time value of money you can solve basically any question they give you, regardless of whether or not you have seen a question with similar formatting.