PDA

View Full Version : SAIT Electrical Engineering Tech diploma

NewKid1
10-21-2013, 08:21 AM
Hey,

I've been kind of lost as to what I've wanted to do as a career for a while now but this type of program has always interested me.

Is there any recent grads/past grads that can chime in here? How was the program? Do you like the job in itself?

I'd rather not go to university for engineering either - just not my thing. Are technologists income potential limited compared to engineers?

ANY information that you have would be greatly appreciated...thanks.

sxtasy
10-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Check out aset for tech salaries and other info: http://www.aset.ab.ca/Content_Files/Files/SalarySurveyReport2013v2.pdf

HiTempguy1
10-21-2013, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by NewKid1
Are technologists income potential limited compared to engineers?

Yes.

That is not to say you CAN'T earn as much money as an engineer. But it is not nearly as straightforward of a process as a technologist then as an engineer.

The Electrical Engineering Technologist diploma will be the hardest (IMO) out of all Technologist diplomas. Lots of theoretical knowledge relying heavily on physics and mathematics.

It's a good program that will practically guarantee you a job when you get out of school. Tuition is cheaper, and at the end of the day, the program is MUCH easier than grinding it out for 4 to 5 years in an Engineering degree. :dunno:

Nufy
10-21-2013, 10:59 AM
You have to prove yourself more as a tech to advance.

Some positions require a P.Eng to be considered.

I know some technologists who should be Engineers, and some engineers I wouldn't get on the same plane with.

schocker
10-21-2013, 11:09 AM
I have noticed lately though looking at intermediate chem positions that many are asking for PEng or CET with 3-5 years experience which is nice.

Unknown303
10-21-2013, 01:31 PM
We are better than engineers in every possible way.

dirtsniffer
10-21-2013, 07:47 PM
ya, you guys are way better than me at doing my drawings. :love:

m10-power
10-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
ya, you guys are way better than me at doing my drawings. :love:

I agree since we know what the end result of the drawing actually looks like.

zieg
10-21-2013, 10:28 PM
http://static4.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/Well+that+escalated+quickly+_23284e8870184e3b093b37ca9857f948.jpg

I work on a team with engineers and techs, some of them have no 3d visualization abilities whatsoever but are brilliant project managers, some are very talented designers but can't implement their work for shit, and others who do a little of both. After about 5 years, can can hardly tell who is what. :thumbsup:

Unknown303
10-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by m10-power

I agree since we know what the end result of the drawing actually looks like.

Well played sir.http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/Unknown303/1382456162184_zps4a68dfc1.jpg

CapnCrunch
10-24-2013, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by NewKid1
Hey,

I've been kind of lost as to what I've wanted to do as a career for a while now but this type of program has always interested me.

Is there any recent grads/past grads that can chime in here? How was the program? Do you like the job in itself?

I'd rather not go to university for engineering either - just not my thing. Are technologists income potential limited compared to engineers?

ANY information that you have would be greatly appreciated...thanks.

All I know is that "good" electrical designers are one of the hardest people to find at our company.

You may have limited potential at some companies, but there are a lot that don't really care (Assuming you're good at your job)

You obviously won't be hired as an engineer, but there are no artificial ceilings on most positions. (Leads, Project managers, etc.)

Asian_defender
10-24-2013, 09:47 AM
I chose to do the dipolma instead of the degree and I didnt find it career hindering. Same team as the engineers and pretty much same pay.
Most organizations that require a P.Eng. will also take a P.L.(Eng). as well

As long as you know what your doing you'll be fine IMO

Cos
10-24-2013, 12:27 PM

Unknown303
10-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Cos
I wanted to get my engineering. 7 years as a Tech and I am happy I didnt.

There are lots of electrical techs on here. If you search Electrical Tech beyond.ca on google you will get a couple. Just stay out of the Engineer/Tech debated.

Or get in the debate and just shit on the otherside for no good reason. :D

sxtasy
10-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

Or get in the debate and just shit on the otherside for no good reason. :D
hacked by modelexis?