PDA

View Full Version : Online MBA

94boosted
10-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Does anybody have input on online MBA's?

My company won't cover the full cost of an MBA (only partial reimbursement) as such doing one through Haskayne @ UofC for $40+ grand is out of the question. The only other option I can find is University of Athabasca which has an online Executive MBA that is a little more reasonable from a cost perspective, however the requirements for that MBA program are 3+ years of Management level experience, which I don't have. There seems to be a bucket load of schools in the US that offer online MBA's that are much more affordable ($20-25K) i.e. University of Walden and University of Phoenix are the two that seem the most popular.

Now I know that if you're looking to be the CEO of a Fortune 500 company these cheaper online MBA's would probably get laughed at. However as that is not my goal, I only want to get the basics of business/finance/marketing and have a leg up down the road when climbing the career ladder is one of these online MBA's worth it?

EM2FTL
10-29-2013, 10:22 AM
I would not recommend a U.S. online degree if you're looking for value in learning, student supports, or credibility with that piece of paper. Here's a list of Canadian MBAs, there are many that are cheaper than you'd think.

http://www.financialpost.com/executive/canadian-mba-programs/index.html

ercchry
10-29-2013, 10:26 AM
IMO you dont get a fraction of the value doing it online. most of your value will come from the contacts you make, which wont be possible online.

watching my dad's career progression after getting an in class MBA, i'd say its worth paying up the difference

94boosted
10-29-2013, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by EM2FTL
I would not recommend a U.S. online degree if you're looking for value in learning, student supports, or credibility with that piece of paper. Here's a list of Canadian MBAs, there are many that are cheaper than you'd think.

http://www.financialpost.com/executive/canadian-mba-programs/index.html

What do you mean by credibility I believe that both Walden and Phoenix are accredited. Walden by ACBSP and Phoenix by the Higher Learning Commission.

Aren't all of those in-class MBA's not online?

Originally posted by ercchry
IMO you dont get a fraction of the value doing it online. most of your value will come from the contacts you make, which wont be possible online.

watching my dad's career progression after getting an in class MBA, i'd say its worth paying up the difference

Online MBA programs are becoming more and more popular and are starting to be offered by some pretty well known and reputable schools down South. And some of them are definitely not cheap. While the networking is beneficial it is only a part of the MBA.

For me doing an in-class MBA isn't really feasible due to work schedule and extra curricular activities. The flexibility of being able to do it when I have time is very important to me.

ercchry
10-29-2013, 11:00 AM
if work is willing to pay part, would work not also be willing to make your work schedule more flexible?

also... when everyone and their dog has an MBA, how are you going to stand apart?

94boosted
10-29-2013, 11:12 AM
if work is willing to pay part, would work not also be willing to make your work schedule more flexible?

also... when everyone and their dog has an MBA, how are you going to stand apart?

It's not that work is willing to pay for part of an MBA specifically. Our company gives up to 2 grand per calendar year towards any education/courses that are relevant. TBH in my current role an MBA won't help me much, heck it probably won't even help me much at this company in general but down the road I'm sure it'll come in handy.

I wouldn't stand out compared to the other MBA grads but I'd stand out compared to those without an MBA :D

ercchry
10-29-2013, 11:14 AM
:rofl: fair enough.... but yeah, i can say with certainty, if my father did an online MBA he wouldnt be where he is today. every dramatic career move can be linked to one of his MBA classmates

Euro_Trash
10-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted

While the networking is beneficial it is only a part of the MBA.

As already stated, it's a huge part of the MBA. You might only be looking for the basics, but IMO you will learn a lot more valuable skills in class than trying to hammer through it online. Your company paying for half is pretty valuable (and you could try to get some scholarships to pay for more).

EM2FTL
10-29-2013, 11:22 AM

What do you mean by credibility I believe that both Walden and Phoenix are accredited. Walden by ACBSP and Phoenix by the Higher Learning Commission.

Aren't all of those in-class MBA's not online?

Online MBA programs are becoming more and more popular and are starting to be offered by some pretty well known and reputable schools down South. And some of them are definitely not cheap. While the networking is beneficial it is only a part of the MBA.

For me doing an in-class MBA isn't really feasible due to work schedule and extra curricular activities. The flexibility of being able to do it when I have time is very important to me.

Without going into essay-like detail, all accreditation bodies are not created equal. U Phoenix is also known for dubious recruiting practices and questionable program outcomes - you might want to do a little more research into that school.

Walden has a better rep but their student supports for Canadians are shit IMO.

The list I provided is for brick and mortar schools, but some of them have distance programs where you only have to travel for a seminar or two. You also might want to look into part-time/night class options @ U of C, you could pick up a few courses towards the degree that would be transferable elsewhere.

ExtraSlow
10-29-2013, 11:48 AM
I have been involved in some recruiting for Engineering managment positions, and I can say from my expereince an online MBA is not seen as a valuable item. I don't feel it gives you a significant advantage over someone without any paper.

I haven't done an exhaustive survey of the different online MBA's and I'm sure you will learn some good info. However, if you are looking at it as something you can proudly display on your resume, I don't think you'll get that benefit.

If the position requires an MBA, I wouldn't choose someone who got it online.
If the position doesn't require an MBA, I wouldn't care if they had one.

This may be different in pure business jobs.

CLiVE
10-29-2013, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by EM2FTL

Without going into essay-like detail, all accreditation bodies are not created equal. U Phoenix is also known for dubious recruiting practices and questionable program outcomes - you might want to do a little more research into that school.

Walden has a better rep but their student supports for Canadians are shit IMO.

I did my MBA through U of Phoenix, back then it was online based with a classroom seminar every few weeks. Say what you will about the program, and admit they are very aggressive with recruiting (and a publicly traded, for-profit company)

The value you get out of the program really came down to 2 things. The amount of work you put in, and the quality of the professor. Most of the professors in my program were pulled from the local O&G industry and provided some good insight and classroom/online discussion.

I put in a lot of effort and worked my ass of for my MBA - and feel I got a lot of value out of it. it is unfortunate however that maybe 1/2 of the class put in a lot of effort, yet all received the designation. (When interviewing, I can usually assess how much effort was put in through interviewing a candidate)

Like was already stated, if you're expecting a U of P MBA to land you a job with a fortune 500 - look elsewhere. If you're looking at a program because you're interested and want to be able to 'talk the talk' in each functional area of an organization, then you will find value in it. It follows the same formula as most programs with courses on accounting, statistics, project management, human resources, law, marketing, etc. etc. Will by no means make you an expert, but will let you understand the various challenges facing all aspects of an company. (ie: in my experience you are doing an online MBA for yourself and any interest you may have. It may help (and mine did), but don't count on it for career advancement)

Also the time commitment should not be taken lightly. Expect 20+ hours per week of coursework, papers, etc. Then team meetings on top of that.
Have seen MBAs break up many relationships - make sure you're ready. I often refer to my MBA as a degree in time management.

94boosted
10-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I have been involved in some recruiting for Engineering managment positions, and I can say from my expereince an online MBA is not seen as a valuable item. I don't feel it gives you a significant advantage over someone without any paper.

I haven't done an exhaustive survey of the different online MBA's and I'm sure you will learn some good info. However, if you are looking at it as something you can proudly display on your resume, I don't think you'll get that benefit.

If the position requires an MBA, I wouldn't choose someone who got it online.
If the position doesn't require an MBA, I wouldn't care if they had one.

This may be different in pure business jobs.

My background is in O&G engineering I'm at an EPC now.

The way I see it is that to someone potentially interviewing you an MBA (online or in-class) proves not only that you have the basics in business but more importantly that you were willing to bust your ass working a full time job and then study 20hrs a week on top of it. Now I'm no hiring manager but I'd say that's a desirable trait. :dunno:

Originally posted by CLiVE

I did my MBA through U of Phoenix, back then it was online based with a classroom seminar every few weeks. Say what you will about the program, and admit they are very aggressive with recruiting (and a publicly traded, for-profit company)

The value you get out of the program really came down to 2 things. The amount of work you put in, and the quality of the professor. Most of the professors in my program were pulled from the local O&G industry and provided some good insight and classroom/online discussion.

I put in a lot of effort and worked my ass of for my MBA - and feel I got a lot of value out of it. it is unfortunate however that maybe 1/2 of the class put in a lot of effort, yet all received the designation. (When interviewing, I can usually assess how much effort was put in through interviewing a candidate)

Like was already stated, if you're expecting a U of P MBA to land you a job with a fortune 500 - look elsewhere. If you're looking at a program because you're interested and want to be able to 'talk the talk' in each functional area of an organization, then you will find value in it. It follows the same formula as most programs with courses on accounting, statistics, project management, human resources, law, marketing, etc. etc. Will by no means make you an expert, but will let you understand the various challenges facing all aspects of an company. (ie: in my experience you are doing an online MBA for yourself and any interest you may have. It may help (and mine did), but don't count on it for career advancement)

Also the time commitment should not be taken lightly. Expect 20+ hours per week of coursework, papers, etc. Then team meetings on top of that.
Have seen MBAs break up many relationships - make sure you're ready. I often refer to my MBA as a degree in time management.

Thanks for the valuable feedback.

UofP is definitely aggressive at recruiting lol, a half hour phone call last week and I've had follow up emails from them everyday since.

I, like you, am also looking for the MBA to broaden my knowledge not so much for an instant career advancement as I know that at this point in my career that won't happen.

Regarding the time commitment I know it's intense, but what I like about both Walden and UofP is that you can do the program in as little as 1.5 years if you bust your ass or as long as 5 years if you need it. Plus I also have the luxury of a wife that has a BBA in Accounting that could hopefully help me :D

CLiVE
10-29-2013, 01:08 PM

Regarding the time commitment I know it's intense, but what I like about both Walden and UofP is that you can do the program in as little as 1.5 years if you bust your ass or as long as 5 years if you need it. Plus I also have the luxury of a wife that has a BBA in Accounting that could hopefully help me :D

I doubled up my course load and completed in under 2 years, as we had a baby on the way. Finished 1 month after the baby was born. If you maintain a high GPA they allow you to take a larger course load.

As far as the work - none of the concepts are difficult and will seem basic given your engineering background. Just a matter of completing the tasks on time and writing a large paper or business plan based on a case study every week as well as participating in discussions - which will take additional research. Be prepared to come home from work and immediately have to lock yourself in a room for coursework. When you finish they program you'll wonder what you used to do with your spare time....but like I said, not everyone puts in this much work - and hence why U of P has a mixed reputation.

gatorade
10-31-2013, 12:58 AM
[BHaskayne @ UofC for $40+ grand is out of the question. [/B]

Grad programs at UofC are usually fully funded and wont even bother accepting you unless they have some form or ability to fund you. They actually have some of the best funding in Canada, although I'm not sure how good it is for an MBA specifically, but in general their funding packages are pretty generous.

Type_S1
10-31-2013, 01:26 AM
How many years experience do you have OP? Assuming you graduated from u of c already with engineering?

Your company paying $2k per year isn't them helping you at all, all Poland gas companies have that blanket program. If your company actually gives a crap about you go talk to them and ask for help with funding. My buddies have had full MBA's funded with a 2-3 year commitment post graduation with the company. Try to do something like this.

Also, for online MBA's no recruiter will really give 2 shits. If you are going online definitely don't do US, look in Canada, specifically U of T.

My honest advice: don't waste your time or money on any MBA unless it in class from a TOP school and is funded by work.

mrsingh
10-31-2013, 05:54 AM
How do you folks rate Executive MBA's that can be taken at satellute locations, such as the Queens-Cornell joint program? Besides being pricey, do you see them as providing a strong benefit?

Super_Geo
10-31-2013, 11:11 AM
Impossible to answer without knowing what your undergrad degree is, where you got it, and what you're currently doing.

If you went to a top school (or even a good school) for your undergrad, pairing that with an online MBA from Athabasca/Phoenix would severely water down your resume.

If you went to a lesser known school, then it's not as big of a deal.

Also, depends on where you plan on working. Smaller companies would see the value in it as it would make you a more well rounded employee, whereas at bigger companies where it gets pretty competitive as you start to climb the ladder it could definitely hold you back.

I wouldn't stand out compared to the other MBA grads but I'd stand out compared to those without an MBA :D

I wouldn't be sure that an Athabasca/Phoenix MBA would make you stand out compared to people with just undergrad degrees. There is some serious stigma against online MBAs.

A better route for you would be to go the CFA route. It's under the $2k/year allowance your company gives you, will definitely give you a great foundation in finance, and you can work while you do it.

bjstare
10-31-2013, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1
How many years experience do you have OP? Assuming you graduated from u of c already with engineering?

Your company paying $2k per year isn't them helping you at all, all Poland gas companies have that blanket program. If your company actually gives a crap about you go talk to them and ask for help with funding. My buddies have had full MBA's funded with a 2-3 year commitment post graduation with the company. Try to do something like this.

Also, for online MBA's no recruiter will really give 2 shits. If you are going online definitely don't do US, look in Canada, specifically U of T.

My honest advice: don't waste your time or money on any MBA unless it in class from a TOP school and is funded by work.

You seem to have a pretty strong opinion on this (i.e. no recruiter caring about online MBA, specifically target U of T, etc etc). Just curious what experience you're basing this off of? Are you an MBA grad/do you recruit MBA grads?

ercchry
10-31-2013, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by cjblair

You seem to have a pretty strong opinion on this (i.e. no recruiter caring about online MBA, specifically target U of T, etc etc). Just curious what experience you're basing this off of? Are you an MBA grad/do you recruit MBA grads?

:rofl: :rofl:

how have you missed all the threads with him spouting off his opinions?

bjstare
10-31-2013, 11:58 AM

:rofl: :rofl:

how have you missed all the threads with him spouting off his opinions?

Nope, I've seen em.

http://rollin.lv/files/1359/half-trollface.jpg

rx7boi
11-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Type_S1 is like Jon Snow.

JustinL
11-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by mrsingh
How do you folks rate Executive MBA's that can be taken at satellute locations, such as the Queens-Cornell joint program? Besides being pricey, do you see them as providing a strong benefit?

I think of executive MBAs as one step up from online, but not as respectable as a full program MBA. We used to refer to the eMBA as the "expensive" MBA.

I did my MBA as a part time student for 4 years through the University of Alberta. It's a lot of work... period. The time commitment is huge and I don't know how people with small children were able to make it through. Many vacation days were used studying for exams and finishing assignments. It really is an interesting field and if you have an interest and the ability, then go for it.

In one of the first classes of the program I had a great professor tell us something that really stuck with me. He told us that there is nothing in the program that we couldn't learn elsewhere on our own, but their job as a school was to ensure that we had a base level of knowledge and to make it difficult enough that the paper they give us at the end has some value. I'm not sure that I completely agree with that assessment, but it sure gave me some food for thought.

94boosted
11-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by gatorade

Grad programs at UofC are usually fully funded and wont even bother accepting you unless they have some form or ability to fund you. They actually have some of the best funding in Canada, although I'm not sure how good it is for an MBA specifically, but in general their funding packages are pretty generous.

I'm not sure what you mean by fund me?

Originally posted by Type_S1

No not UofC, I have a Diploma in Civil Eng. Tech and a Bachelors of Applied Tech. Degree in Petro Eng. both from SAIT.

At this point I don't think it will benefit me much in my role, at my company therefore I don't think they'd be willing to pay for the whole thing. Besides it's a small company.

94boosted
11-05-2013, 01:25 PM
I did for shits & giggles talk to Haskayne and they said that with my education and experience if I get a GMAT of 600+ I should have no issues getting into their MBA program.