PDA

View Full Version : TPMS Tool Recommendation

msommers
11-14-2013, 01:57 AM
Swapped over the tires and the TPMS light came on after driving for 30 minutes. Air pressure all good so I can only assume it needs to be reset. Figure a tool will pay itself off in a year or two so why not.

How's the ATEQ QuickSet TPMS Reset Tool ?

Jsen-DC2
11-14-2013, 09:32 AM
did you swap over another set of rims/tires or just tires ?, if you swapped another set of rims/tires then you most likely need to reprogram the codes into
your ecu, not sure if there is a tool out there, we use a techstream laptop for those

msommers
11-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Yeah new set of rims and tires, different TPMS sensors than the summer rims. According to the 4runner guys, it will only store 4 codes (1 set of tires) so I'd have to reinstall each time I swap over. The tool sounds like it will scan the TPMS IDs and install them automatically. Is this the case or is something else required?

RZRSHARP_SVX
11-14-2013, 02:17 PM
on your car you will have to program the sensors every time you swap over.
this is what the dealers do for lexus and toyota.

Sentry
11-14-2013, 02:50 PM
You can program your sensors with this:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/181145655449

If you don't have the codes you should go to U-wrench and use their tire machine to break the beads so you can physically read the codes off the sensors.

That's the cheapest way I can think of doing it. 30 bucks for the cable/software and 20 bucks for u-wrench. Then once you have the codes for your winter set you can just punch them in every time you swap over.

Sentry
11-14-2013, 03:02 PM
... Or since I already own the cable and software, just get your codes and bring me beer to program them. :D

RickDaTuner
11-14-2013, 05:02 PM
I've mentioned it here before, when you're dealing with Toyota you need to be careful to not confuse the tpms module, if you lock it up with an aftermarket Tpms learn tool, you'll have to take a trip to the dealer anyway.

That being said you will need a tool that puts the module into program mode, as you can't just press the button at the sensor and expect them to work.

THE GOVERNATOR
11-14-2013, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
I've mentioned it here before, when you're dealing with Toyota you need to be careful to not confuse the tpms module, if you lock it up with an aftermarket Tpms learn tool, you'll have to take a trip to the dealer anyway.

That being said you will need a tool that puts the module into program mode, as you can't just press the button at the sensor and expect them to work.

Yes, don't you usually also have to enable to re-learn procedure on the vehicle before learning the new sensors? We just started using UNI-Sensor. I know a GM Tec-2 can reprogram the factory sensors, As long as you have the sensor code for each one.

RickDaTuner
11-14-2013, 09:29 PM
GM are one of the few vehicles that can relearn new sensors with out any tools what so ever. The procedure can all be done by the cluster or fob to initialize, then you just let air out of the tires to wake up the sensors.

Inzane
11-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
GM are one of the few vehicles that can relearn new sensors with out any tools what so ever.

Our Mazda CX-9 didn't seem to require any tools either. I put a new winter tire & wheel package (w/ TPMS, from Tirerack) on the vehicle recently and the manual said to turn the key to on, then off. Let the car sit for xx min, then drive a certain amount and it apparently learns the new set of sensors somehow.

No lights or anything have come on since.

msommers
11-25-2013, 05:42 PM
Aside from taking the tire off to check the IDs, it seems like I'll need a tool to read the codes, ie: VT30.