PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Liberty?

Tik-Tok
11-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Wife is looking at a 2nd gen (08+) Liberty, aside from being underpowered, anyone have one and can give me some idea what they're like to own?

Sugarphreak
11-16-2013, 06:29 PM

Tik-Tok
11-16-2013, 06:34 PM
I've shown her all the comparables, she likes the look of the Liberty most.

Unknown303
11-16-2013, 06:40 PM
Get a Wrangler with the Pentastar. Then you can take it into the bush when she's not looking.

tch7
11-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Had one rented for a while a couple years back, probably a 2010. Beyond being uncomfortable, full of cheap materials, making grinding/clunking noises when trying to engage 4x4, terrible gas mileage, underpowered, and otherwise as enjoyable as driving an Impala, I don't recall much about it. Did OK off road in the snow, aside from the aforementioned grinding noises.

On the bright side it is less unpleasant than a Wrangler from that era as a daily driver.

ExtraSlow
11-16-2013, 07:09 PM
The liberty is probably the worst possible choice in that segment. If you want a jeep, get the Wrangler. At leat it would hold it's value.

Aim her towards the Tuscon or Santa Fe. Better builds and better value.

e31
11-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Stay far away from the Liberty!

I'd say that it's probably one of the more dangerous little SUV's; it has terrible handling characteristics which make it want to trade lanes against your will. There is basically no storage if you are using the rear seats (making it smaller than trunk of car). It didn't get very good mileage either.

The Pentastar engine makes excellent power and sips fuel. It sure can propel a 4500 lb Charger that's for sure.

Unknown303
11-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Wrangler, Wrangler, Wrangler, Wrangler, Wrangler,
Wrangler, Wrangler, Wrangler, Wrangler, Wrangler

Tik-Tok
11-16-2013, 07:51 PM
I showed her the 4door wrangler, she's mildly interested, but in the same price range it's a 2007/8 vs 2011/12.

Like I told her though, she really needs to test drive it before she can insist that's the vehicle for her.

corsvette
11-16-2013, 07:52 PM
A good friend has a diesel Liberty, had quite a few problems in the first two years, been trouble free since. Find a diesel if you can!

Tik-Tok
11-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by corsvette
A good friend has a diesel Liberty, had quite a few problems in the first two years, been trouble free since. Find a diesel if you can!

They didn't offer it in the 2nd gen unfortunately.

Unknown303
11-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I showed her the 4door wrangler, she's mildly interested, but in the same price range it's a 2007/8 vs 2011/12.

Like I told her though, she really needs to test drive it before she can insist that's the vehicle for her.

We tried to find a way to like the Liberty when we were looking and just couldn't do it. The 4 door Wrangler is the way to go if you're looking at Jeeps. Or the GC but those are really big money. I'd test drive the shit out of them, you'll quickly realize that the liberty offers nothing. Poor storage, poor performance, and poor handling. While the Wrangler might not be a huge step up. You get way better storage, plus you can rock it topless,doorless etc in the summer, and they offroad like crazy.

Tik-Tok
11-16-2013, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

We tried to find a way to like the Liberty when we were looking and just couldn't do it.

Just curious if you are thinking of the 1st gen.? The second gens have way more space in the back, and were a better vehicle all around. (so the reviews tell me anyways)

http://blog.barrysanderssupercenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/11_j_lib_photo_int_201.jpg

Unknown303
11-16-2013, 08:17 PM
Yeah we drove the 2nd gen ones, Actually didn't mind the looks to much. Still just didn't click for us. But we already were pretty fond of Wranglers to begin with, we're on our 3rd one now.

ddduke
11-16-2013, 08:18 PM
A friend has one, it's the limited and while I can't really comment on reliability I know that the seats were all cracked and torn at 40k km (100lb Asian girl getting in and out, not a fat ass) and interior started showing signs of wear that most 150k km vehicles don't show.

Sugarphreak
11-16-2013, 11:20 PM

DeeK
11-17-2013, 12:18 AM
The girlfriend's uncle bought a Liberty recently. He was so proud of it. Now it's always in the shop because something broke on it. We take bets on if he'll be coming by in the liberty or a rental car.

hedge
11-17-2013, 02:35 PM
Never had a single issue with our 2003 Liberty until recently when it started downshifting into 2nd harshly (for some reason it doesn't do it if OD is locked out, no idea why that has anything to do with it). I bought it because in this class it's the only one with a transfer case.

it is small and the placement of the widow switches drive me crazy but It's been a very reliable vehicle for us.

K3RMiTdot
11-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Mazda cx-5? Maybe...?

Graham_A_M
11-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Tell her to bend on the whole looks segment of buying an SUV. If she does go for a liberty based on looks alone, she'll have a "good looking" SUV thats a catastrophic lemon. Im sure it'll look great all the time that'll spend in the service bays of a dealership.