PDA

View Full Version : Watch as a gift

busdepot
12-04-2013, 02:09 PM
So I need some help from the Beyond ballers! I was thinking about getting my boss a watch as a gift for Christmas. I was thinking somewhere in the $500-$1000 range for it. I recently passed my UFE exam and got my CA designation and he was an instrumental factor in me getting through. He's been the partner I've worked with for three years now and has been a huge mentor for me and I want to get him something as a thank you.

He's not a particularly flashy guy, but he likes good quality things. I've noticed he wears this Perry Ellis watch with a black leather strap. It looks ok, but I'd like to get him a nice replacement. I've been looking at some of the Tissot ones. I have one and it's been awesome, but I thought I'd check in with some of the experts for any other suggestions on here seeing how many watch threads there are :D

flipstah
12-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Hamilton is in your price-range.

Ask justing for help. :)

Originally posted by Justing
Brand new for 2013 is the Hamilton Pilot Day Date.
Hamilton finally introduces a 42mm version of its classic pilot line with an automatic movement. Utilizing the ETA 2834-2, the new Pilot features both Day and Date complications.
Given its classic design, automatic movement and versatile size, it's safe to say this new model will be an instant success!
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s42/justing1018/Pilotdatedate_zps104ce987.jpg

MSRP: $970

colinxx235
12-04-2013, 02:21 PM
^

Buy one of those hamiltons off Justin the beyond sponsor. he has great prices and they are super sharp

edit: beat to it :rofl:

ercchry
12-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Lum-tec... very nice quality, most come with 3 straps so its like a 3 in 1 kind of thing. rubber, leather, and stainless... changes up the look a lot

woodywoodford
12-04-2013, 02:36 PM
^^ I was also gonna say Hamilton. Maybe a brown leather strap if he's already got black, and engrave a little thank you note on the inside or something.

taemo
12-04-2013, 03:21 PM
+1 for a Hammy watch from Gems by Carati.

my suggestion would be
Jazzmaster Maestro Auto Chrono
Jazzmaster Day Date Auto
Jazzmaster Thin-O-Matic Auto

spikerS
12-04-2013, 03:24 PM
My thoughts are already in the thread.

Lum-tec or a hamilton.

rage2
12-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by woodywoodford
engrave a little thank you note on the inside or something.
Watch snobs are not fans of engraving.

bjstare
12-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Watch as a gift is great, +1 for Hamilton (classic look, vs. the more trendy lum-tec).

One thing I have to point out though, if he's wearing Perry Ellis, he's not a watch snob and it's probably battery powered. Be weary of getting him an automatic watch (something that dies if he doesn't wear it for a couple days/get a watch winder).

My dad inherited a Rolex President, and it sits in the safety deposit box because he can't be bothered to set it everytime he wears it, given that it's not a daily driver (he doesn't have a watch winder, won't bother getting one). He prefers his timex. :dunno:

busdepot
12-04-2013, 03:40 PM
He's certainly not a watch snob. At all. I don't think he'd be too worried about it being engraved. Great call on it, I was definitely planning to do this.

Hamilton's are nice, but would you guys say the brand has the same pedigree as Tissot? I get they're in the same price range, but for my boss who knows little about watches, I think Tissot is a bit more of a recognizable name? Thoughts? Self winding is not for him. He can't even fix his own keyboard when batteries run out lol

Eric, Lum-Tec's are nice, but I think the more classic look is a better route. Definitely a consideration though, thanks!

flipstah
12-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by busdepot
He's certainly not a watch snob. At all. I don't think he'd be too worried about it being engraved. Great call on it, I was definitely planning to do this.

Hamilton's are nice, but would you guys say the brand has the same pedigree as Tissot? I get they're in the same price range, but for my boss who knows little about watches, I think Tissot is a bit more of a recognizable name? Thoughts? Self winding is not for him. He can't even fix his own keyboard when batteries run out lol

Eric, Lum-Tec's are nice, but I think the more classic look is a better route. Definitely a consideration though, thanks!

Batteries? Go for a Citizen then. For me, I like their style more than Tissot.

killramos
12-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Watch snobs are not fans of engraving.

This ^

Nothing makes me Madder than engraving something. Well maybe some things.

spikerS
12-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Well, maybe a citizen eco drive then. They are quite nice, and about half the price. Don't have to worry about the prestige factor.

Seriously, if he is as you describe, he is not going to appreciate the Tissot either.

I like a couple of the Tissot watches, but I consider the Hamilton lineup a stup up from Tissot, even though they are in the same-ish price range.

SilverKast
12-04-2013, 04:31 PM
The Hamilton Thino-matic Auto is a nice simple piece that's pretty inexpensive. I got the white faced dial and threw a black strap on and it works pretty well and looks nice and simple.

I often wear it instead of my Zenith when I'm in the office, and have had lots of my CA colleaugues compliment me on it (although most of them are clueless about watches anyhow!).

Grats on the pass btw!

woodywoodford
12-04-2013, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by killramos

This ^

Nothing makes me Madder than engraving something. Well maybe some things.

Even just on the backside? I'm no snob, hell my only watch is a shitty Boss with a worn out rose gold coating. But I'm a pretty sentimental dude so I like gifts to have some sort of meaning linked to them, especially expensive ones.

But also, better I learn now than later.

npham
12-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Getting him the Hamilton will make him go look up the brand and figure out that it's a great one and he will appreciate it more than the Tissot.

Justing
12-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Thanks for all the nods guys!! :love:
If you think he'd prefer a quartz watch, stick with Tissot as you'd have a lot more options than with Hamilton.

Feel free to pm me or email me if you'd like any price quotes.

Sugarphreak
12-04-2013, 09:27 PM

flipstah
12-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Seiko 5s are clean and simple. Sounds like your guy.

rage2
12-04-2013, 11:23 PM
The problem with Seikos...

1. People that don't know watches think they're cheap Japanese crap.
2. Watch snobs thinks they're cheap Japanese crap.

Really, the only people that appreciate Seikos are watch nerds that see past the name and know of some of the cool movements they've done.

Casio, I don't think that's appreciated by anyone period.

Weapon_R
12-05-2013, 02:36 AM
Lots of great suggestions here. If you want to go a little off the beaten path, check out Frederique Constant. The slim line with guilloche face is a nice dress watch.

msommers
12-05-2013, 03:00 AM
At risk of being boring, what about a simple dress watch (also quartz)

http://us.tissotshop.com/men/men-classic/tradition-men-s-silver-chrono-classic-watch.html

http://us.tissotshop.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/420x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/T/0/T063_617_16_037_00.jpg

http://us.tissotshop.com/men/men-classic/tradition-men-s-silver-quartz-classic-watch.html

http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/collection/khaki/aviation/pilot-quartz/h64611555

CanmoreOrLess
12-05-2013, 04:43 AM
The problem with getting someone a watch is that you don't really know his style or what he believes is a style, all style is a style in any case. In getting him a watch, is he is somewhat forced into wearing it to not hurt your feelings and this could be awkward going forward. As he currently wears a PE watch, it is safe to say he does not value a watch as a business or forward fashion statement at all. More a case of function or perhaps it was a gift from his wife, children, dead aunt, ex GF that died in a car crash, etc and has personal meaning. Also, in getting him a personal type item like a watch, you are in a small way saying his current item sucks in a big way.

I'd go more for a gift something along the lines of a bottle or two of really nice wine, in your budget it would be very fine indeed. Assuming he has a taste for wine, scotch, etc could go along the same line of thought. You need to find out what it is he values (uses) in life and go from there. Ask one of the other partners, ask his secretary, ask his wife, ask his GF, you get the idea.

Never engrave anything. Ever. The person receiving the gift knows the who and what of said gift.

Neil4Speed
12-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
The problem with getting someone a watch is that you don't really know his style or what he believes is a style, all style is a style in any case. In getting him a watch, is he is somewhat forced into wearing it to not hurt your feelings and this could be awkward going forward. As he currently wears a PE watch, it is safe to say he does not value a watch as a business or forward fashion statement at all. More a case of function or perhaps it was a gift from his wife, children, dead aunt, ex GF that died in a car crash, etc and has personal meaning. Also, in getting him a personal type item like a watch, you are in a small way saying his current item sucks in a big way.

Never engrave anything. Ever. The person receiving the gift knows the who and what of said gift.

Agree on the last point, no one is going to look at their watch and go... "hm... where did this come from again"

The First point though, I think there are some watches that are pretty universal in appeal, Hamilton Thin-o-Matic, or Visodate, and are safe purchases.

busdepot
12-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Thanks a ton for the suggestions, guys. While I agree that engraving can be done the wrong way, I also know it can be done the right way. I don't want to completely plaster the back plate with a sermon or anything. I'd like the engraving to be quite small and as discreet as possible so it doesn't draw attention from the rest of the watch. My boss isn't a watch snob and it will never be sold or anything. I'm not going to make it ugly or tasteless.

I stopped yesterday after work at Gem and met with Justin. He was extremely helpful and had some excellent suggestions. We narrowed it down to this one (so far)

http://www.tissot.ch/?collections/products/1116/n/TISSOT_COUTURIER/T035.617.11.051.00

It's sporty enough that my boss (who's in his 50's) can appreciate some of the style of it, without getting too extreme in any direction (fashion, sporty or dressy). It's a super versatile design that will look good with anything. I looked at the automatics, but a lot them were a little on the thicker side, which I'm told by his wife he's had trouble with before. The Couturier isn't too thick but still has a nice size and weight to it. I like the Tissot ones as well for the reason that it is a very well known brand that he will recognize immediately as a quality watch brand, without having to hit up Wikipedia. And, I'm sure Justin can help me get the engraving done the right way.

The Visodate's are really nice (I love the logo), but there's not a lot of difference between them and his Perry Ellis one he wears. I understand that the quality and build of the watches are on completely different playing fields, but esthetically, they are very similar. I would prefer to get something a little bit different because I'm pretty sure he just has the one watch right now. As mentioned already, he's wearing a Perry Ellis watch, he doesn't really get worked up about the brand. At the same time though, he will recognize a quality piece when he sees it. Not to say the other brands suggested aren't quality, but recognition is important too for someone who isn't super into watches.

Lumtec's are cool, but for a guy in his 50's, a watch brand that has a model called 'Combat Bronze' is a little bit in the wrong direction, I think.

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess

I'd go more for a gift something along the lines of a bottle or two of really nice wine, in your budget it would be very fine indeed. Assuming he has a taste for wine, scotch, etc could go along the same line of thought. You need to find out what it is he values (uses) in life and go from there. Ask one of the other partners, ask his secretary, ask his wife, ask his GF, you get the idea.

Excellent discussion points, CanmoreOrLess. I can understand where you're coming from. But if someone buys you a Canali tie for Christmas, does that mean your other ties are hideous? It could be construed that way, but in this situation, I'm confident that wouldn't be the case. A watch, in my mind, is a gift that stands as a timeless token of appreciation for something. I have been in close proximity with my boss daily for over three years. I know his wife and his kids very well, so I feel comfortable getting something as personal as a watch.

His current watch was given to him as a gift because his last one was a cheap one that he didn't fix. It came from his wife as a little something just to put something on his wrist that looked okay. Buying him a new piece will not be stepping on anyone's toes. But, I do really appreciate you pointing that out. It could certainly go sideways if it was like his dad's watch he wore in the war or something. For this one, there wouldn't be any pressure to wear it over feelings. I've done my homework (for once).

Unfortunately my boss is not a pro in the spirits department. Wine or other spirits is a great gift if the person really is a connoisseur extraordinaire. Throwing down >$600 on wine or spirits for someone who isn't an absolute expert is a bit waste. Once you get past a $100 bottle of anything for even a reasonably seasoned snob, the value of the gift gets lost quickly, consistent with the law of diminishing returns.

Other gifts I've considered are a new guitar or a painting. Guitar's are something I'm extremely knowledgeable about however there are two major problems with this though. 1) a decent guitar is already out of my budget for this and 2) he just buys them as he sees them. When I picked up my latest Les Paul, he bought one too just for giggles and he didnt' want to be left out. So that won't work. For a painting, I just don't know enough about art to determine what's worth it and what isn't.

ercchry
12-05-2013, 11:02 AM

Lumtec's are cool, but for a guy in his 50's, a watch brand that has a model called 'Combat Bronze' is a little bit in the wrong direction, I think.

thats a ridiculous argument :rofl:

well under your price range, quality parts (all swiss movement), not an auto, limited to 200 pieces...

http://wristweapon.com/product/m-quartz-m55/

busdepot
12-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

well under your price range, quality parts (all swiss movement), not an auto, limited to 200 pieces...

I'm not saying they're bad quality or not good watches at all. They are sweet, and limited to 200 units adds some rarity to them, but they're not a classic looking piece. Big red font along the face is the opposite of classic. I'd like them for me, but not as a gift to a partner at a tax consulting firm to wear with a suit and tie daily. It's a different image, that's all. He won't know what it is and won't appreciate it as much, regardless of the actual quality of the watch since he's not an enthusiast, which is who these watches are for as opposed to your typical mall browser.

as for the watches themselves. they are built right. buy enthusiasts, for enthusiasts IMO...

:D

ercchry
12-05-2013, 11:40 AM
see, i think they are classic in a different genre of watch per-say... like a panerai vs a rolex :dunno:

the M really does draw from the panerai style without being too obvious about it, and i know a few people who still wear a panerai under a suit ;)

busdepot
12-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Total agree that they're a cool look. But that wouldn't be like a go-to kind of watch. Panerai are super legit (and super baller), but it's not like a everyday watch, you know? The Lum-tec/Panerai look definitely has it's place, but I think it comes after the metal bracelet watch, which is a staple piece my boss appears to be lacking. If this sets off a watch frenzy for him, the Lum-tec's (or Panerai lol) will certainly be suggested. It's like having a very bold navy pinstripe suit or a light linen suit before getting the basic dark charcoal suit. Awesome look, but the basics need to be covered first.

ercchry
12-05-2013, 11:55 AM
did i forget to mention it comes with three straps? one being a metal bracelet?

like so:

http://www.lum-tec.com/media/gallery/M5_catalog_pic_angle.0183358_large.jpg

busdepot
12-05-2013, 11:59 AM
What are these? Old Nokia's with multiple faceplates? :rofl:

I see the merits, but like I said, Lum-tecs are not a staple piece.

ercchry
12-05-2013, 12:00 PM
i still think you are crazy :rofl:

rage2
12-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Someone in their 50's wearing a Lumtec would be like me driving a CLS. Oh wait... :rofl:

roopi
12-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Just looked at this Lumtec stuff. Do they just copy other watch companies and sell it for cheaper price? Looked at 2 pages and it looks like cheap versions of B&R/Panerai.

Anyways I would have went with a Hamilton over the Tissot for sure but looks like you made a good choice for a 50yr old boss. :thumbsup:

flipstah
12-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by roopi
Just looked at this Lumtec stuff. Do they just copy other watch companies and sell it for cheaper price? Looked at 2 pages and it looks like cheap versions of B&R/Panerai.

Anyways I would have went with a Hamilton over the Tissot for sure but looks like you made a good choice for a 50yr old boss. :thumbsup:

Bell&Ross should not be placed above LUM-TEC but that's a whole different topic. :whipped:

bourge73
12-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Now you have gone and done it op asking watch advice from
Beyond and the watch whores lol

rage2
12-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Bell&Ross should not be placed above LUM-TEC but that's a whole different topic. :whipped:
Let me guess, you follow watch snob on askmen? :rofl:

Sugarphreak
12-05-2013, 06:43 PM

Cos
12-05-2013, 06:57 PM

rage2
12-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I think most baby boomers know that Seiko's are not jap crap, mostly people under 30 make this assumption just because of the explosion of brands on the market now. My Mom was showing me an "expensive" watch my Dad bought her like 30 years ago... was a Seiko. Neither of them know anything about watches, but they both knew that it was a good brand.
Agreed. I really like Seiko automatics, hell even when TAG bought Seiko 6S37 IP and re-engineered it as the TAG 1887, I thought it was great. Watch snobs think otherwise haha.

Originally posted by Cos
Spring drive :drool:
Yup!

http://virgeweb.com/rage2/watches/05.jpg

http://virgeweb.com/rage2/watches/06.jpg

http://virgeweb.com/rage2/watches/07.jpg

http://virgeweb.com/rage2/watches/08.jpg

http://virgeweb.com/rage2/watches/09.jpg

That's another beyonder's watch, which he sold. Wish it was to me. It's a wicked watch and movement that's very underappreciated.

flipstah
12-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Let me guess, you follow watch snob on askmen? :rofl:

That guy is hilarious to read lol :rofl:

jaysas_63
12-16-2013, 10:50 PM
No love for Movado?

Never have gotten so many compliments on a watch:

http://www.watchalyzer.com/wp-content/gallery/movado-museum/0606085w_459x715_2.jpg

http://www.ashford.com/images/catalog/movado/faceto/0605040_FXA.jpg

classic time piece right in your price range.

CMW403
12-31-2013, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by woodywoodford
^^ I was also gonna say Hamilton. Maybe a brown leather strap if he's already got black, and engrave a little thank you note on the inside or something.

DO NOT ENGRAVE ANY TIMEPIECE EVER. please.

snowcat
12-31-2013, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by CMW403

Why not? It's just a cheap watch.

rx7_turbo2
01-01-2014, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by CMW403

I have a Rolex that is passed to the eldest son of every generation. It's engraved with the names of the previous generations. The value lost because it's engraved is nothing compared to the intangible value of the watch itself. The names on the watch are a constant reminder of its ability to endure amazing hardship not the least of which was a World War.

Also in my possession is an engraved pocket watch used by my Grandfather to keep trains on time for over 30 years at Ottawa's Union Station. Again value lost because of its engraving is nothing compared to its value to me.

I've never bought a watch myself and had it engraved. However I'm glad the men before me did!

Unknown303
01-01-2014, 01:48 PM
That would be the difference between getting an engraved watch from a family member. and getting an engraved watch from an employee.

What would the engraving even say?? "To my bestest boss, from _____ <3"

Sugarphreak
01-01-2014, 01:52 PM

busdepot
01-02-2014, 10:12 AM
The watch literally just said "Thanks" in a small and tasteful way above the serial numbering. Justin and his engraver did a great job of it. If you weren't looking for it, you probably wouldn't notice it at all. He really liked it and seemed genuinely blown away by it.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5482/11711416286_f6922bb80e_z.jpg

I walked into my office this morning to find this. Oil on canvas. Apparently it was already in the works before I had given my boss his watch haha. 36"x48" roughly. I'm not a connoisseur or anything, but I like it. And it makes my office look a lot better.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2828/11710562155_9ec54a94ea_z.jpg

flipstah
01-02-2014, 10:14 AM
That's an awesome painting!

Unknown303
01-02-2014, 10:18 AM
You guys are totally going to make out this year.

busdepot
01-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303

As long as there's a raise involved hahahaha

flipstah
01-02-2014, 10:27 AM

SLUT.

My office needs a painting or a photo. There's a void that would be perfect for something.

ercchry
01-02-2014, 10:45 AM

im sure you will both get "raises" :poosie:

flipstah
01-02-2014, 10:47 AM

im sure you will both get &quot;raises&quot; :poosie:

Docking initiated.

Justing
01-03-2014, 12:36 PM
Thanks busdepot, glad to hear your boss liked the watch!

Originally posted by Unknown303
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

CMW403
01-04-2014, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

I have a Rolex that is passed to the eldest son of every generation. It's engraved with the names of the previous generations. The value lost because it's engraved is nothing compared to the intangible value of the watch itself. The names on the watch are a constant reminder of its ability to endure amazing hardship not the least of which was a World War.

Also in my possession is an engraved pocket watch used by my Grandfather to keep trains on time for over 30 years at Ottawa's Union Station. Again value lost because of its engraving is nothing compared to its value to me.

I've never bought a watch myself and had it engraved. However I'm glad the men before me did!

This is the one exclusion of the rule and you knew that I don't have to explain it. This watch is from employee to employer, not from his great great grandfather that survived WW1.

I don't know if theres something wrong with me but I would honestly go crazy over that engraving. I would buy a new case back haha. IMO Unless it is some sort of heirloom, which many watches can be, then I don't think any watch case worth more than $500 should be violated with anything, Even "Thanks".