PDA

View Full Version : advice on getting into dirtbiking

ddduke
12-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Looking at getting into dirtbiking this year. Just looking for some general advice on the sport.

What type of bike should I start out with? Displacement?

What are some reliable bikes that don't need constant repairs, are relatively reliable?

I also don't want something I'll outgrow in a month and have to upgrade.

I'll probably do a bit of trail riding but I work off Blackfoot so will likely hit the track there more often.

If it makes any difference I'm 6ft, and around 200-210lbs. I've also been riding motorcycles for a long time and am very comfortable with riding any style/type. I have rode some dirt bikes before, but only on the street and some drifting in alleys.

Env-Consultant
12-22-2013, 09:43 PM
My suggestions would be a cr250 or cr250f by Honda, depending if you want a 2 stroke or 4 stroke. The Yamaha and Kawasaki bikes aren't drastically different - I've had Hondas for most of my life and find them to be extremely reliable.

You could go with a 125 cc, but given your size (very similar to mine), I suspect you'll get bored, especially if it isn't your first bike.

Advice would be ATGATT - don't ever go without all your gear, even for a quick rip - if you can afford the bike, you can afford the gear. For any trail riding in secluded places, NEVER go alone - even with a SPOT emergency device, if you crash and get knocked out or severely injured in a secluded area, chances are it could be your last day.

Get used to your bike, the rpms, the gears, the power - respect it - then ride the piss out of it once you know its tendencies inside and out. Not saying you wouldn't do this normally - you asked for advice so I'm sharing what I can.

Read through manuals and watch how to videos online so you can work on your own bike. If need be, read reviews online and find a good mechanic - a lot of the good ones will let you watch/learn - just don't ask questions every 2 seconds and do your homework beforehand.

And for god sakes, get some good tiedowns and strap your bike down properly. It drives me nuts seeing tipped over bikes in the back of trucks. Treat that girl good and she'll be good back to you!

Graham_A_M
12-22-2013, 09:56 PM
For two strokes, Id definitely stick to 250 or less. Thankfully you'd have to pay a mint for a CR500/RM500 (etc) as they dont make them anymore, but have respect for it, I had a CR250 and that thing had some decent giddy up to it, leave a lone the CR500 I once rode. :nut:

rob the knob
12-22-2013, 10:43 PM
my first jig in canada was a honda trail. mush fun. even rode to work for a while

Boosted131
12-23-2013, 12:14 AM
yz450f, yz250 (2-stroke)

rx7_turbo2
12-24-2013, 02:15 PM
At 6' 200lbs+ I think you'll find you quickly grow out of a 250 4stroke. The modern fuel injected 4strokes are so compliant in terms of power delivery now that if I was you I'd start on a 450. Especially given the fact you mentioned you have some experience on bikes anyways. Unless you really want a 2stroke or you're planning on being in the bush more than you mentioned the 4 stroke will probably suit you best. My previous bike was a KTM 300 2stroke and it was my favorite bike in the bush when things got tight and technical, but I dunno how constant track duty would have suited it. The power of that 300 2stroke was also incredibly compliant. I'm currently riding a 450 Husaberg.

I'm partial to the KTM/Husaberg brand (now Husqvarna). The KTM XC line probably fits the bill the best for what you've described. I've found the KTM's to be tough, and they hold there resale value better than most.

happy tree
12-24-2013, 04:36 PM
If you are going to be track riding more than trails get an mx bike. If its half and half think about a ktm xc model. More trail oriented get an xcw ktm. I have owned a few honda 450s and currently own a 14 crf450r as well as a ktm 350xcfw. The honda doesn't get touched if im trail riding.

Choose the brand you are comfortable with. If you like yamaha get a yamaha..... that being said ktm rides like nothing else out there. They seem to be able to keep the weight lower on the chassis compared to the big four japanese bikes.

I wouldnt have a problem not having my honda.... cant say the same for my ktm.