PDA

View Full Version : Highwood pass

bigbadboss101
01-09-2014, 10:21 AM
My friend asked me if I want to do a section of the Highwood pass this summer. A certain part in Kananaskis, 17 km up and 17 km down.
I don’t bike much and going from Beddington to the zoo and back was a challenge for me. Part of my problem was the fact I don’t use the right gears properly. Couple times we found a couple small inclines but I was in the wrong gear. The other thing was that I had knobby tires on.

So I am going to try and at least do some training for it. What do you recommend? A combination of interval training on the stationary bike for an hour and also some spinning (30 min)? Remember I might have biked 6 times in the last 20 years. Would squats, some HIIT help? TIA

bigbadboss101
01-09-2014, 10:24 AM
Oh the bike I have is a 5 year old Giant Trance 1 FS with mud tires.

revelations
01-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Get some road tires for the bike, you may also have to somehow condition your bum for sitting on a tiny piece of foam for that long.... unless you have a nice saddle.

If you have access to an exercise bike (40$ on kijiji) I'd personally would recommend that over any other training.

lilmira
01-09-2014, 10:41 AM
I'm no expert. Just started cycling less than a year ago. When I was doing the Nose Creek path in the beginning I was having a hard time too. Definitely work on your cadence, it's tempting to pop into a harder gear and feel the burst of energy but it won't last. I'm currently working on my cadence too and I have improved from 70s to 90s now. Can't wait to ride outside.

Haven't done highwood but I'd like to try it one day. I'm planning to do some training on Cochrane Hill this year too.

jwslam
01-09-2014, 10:45 AM
Doesn't it make more sense to train on the bike you'll be riding with?

There's a few of these bike trainers on amazon.ca
If you're looking to buy locally i.e. at MEC or Crappy tire, be prepared to pay a lot more

http://www.amazon.ca/Magnetic-Exercise-Bicycle-Trainer-NEW-Red/dp/B005DC4ZXS/ref=sr_1_4?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1389285758&sr=1-4

dimi
01-09-2014, 10:45 AM
I've ridden that section in a loop with my MTB. Started at Elbow Lake parking, all the way up to Rickert's Pass, down Mist creek (AMAZING), and then along the highway over Highwood Pass back to Elbow lake parking lot. Its a long uphill on a MTB, depending on the direction you're going.

Rent a road bike for the day (or even something with no suspension), it'll make things a lot easier, although it might be harder to adjust to if you're used to your MTB.

As for training, the easiest thing is to go biking... I mean if you're having issues with gearing it just means your not that comfortable with gear selection yet. Hit the pathways and get comfortable on your bike.

I find squats/deadlifts helped me a lot on the uphill for bursts of power, never hurts to have strong legs. Some endurance on the stationary bike should help too. But again, I'd just go ride the bike.

Oh yea, its a very nice place to be biking as well, so it should be tons of fun.

bigboom
01-09-2014, 01:31 PM
I may be out of touch with riding as a beginner with low fitness but the Highwood pass isnt as challenging as one thinks. Especially on mtn bike gearing, get some knobless tires and just go ride. Do some hill training on cochrane hill or even just go ride edworthy or COP and you'll be fine.

lilmira
01-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Edworthy is nice, Bowmont park has some decent climb too.

Looks like ~500m climb in the last 20k on the Highwood Pass, ~1000m climb total depending on which side. Was thinking about doing the gran fondo but I don't like the one way route. I'll try to do one side and back this year.

msommers
01-10-2014, 05:23 PM
My biggest mistake when starting out cycling was riding on the paths in the city. Get out into the country and enjoy decent pavement!

coachhines
01-10-2014, 07:17 PM
Do the ride before the pass is open to cars which is June 15. Use slick tires pumped to the max rated and get out on the bike as much as possible before hand. The last half of the climb is the worst...like climbing from the river valley to the top of Edgemont but without any flat spots. It gets chilly up top, so bring stuff you can pack to keep warm. Gloves, slim head warmer, wind break. You will see snow. Maybe not in August but the cars are annoying. A bear bell is worth it for small groups during the early part.

msommers
01-11-2014, 09:08 AM
Can someone throw this route you're talking about on google maps?

lilmira
01-11-2014, 09:34 AM
Highwood pass? Isn't it Hwy40 in Kananaskis?

msommers
01-11-2014, 09:52 AM
Yes it would be. Seemed like from Transcanada - Longview was a hella long way. 130km of mountain road is no easy feat in my opinion!

lilmira
01-11-2014, 10:16 AM
This is from Gran Fondo Highwood Pass. Looks like the climb is the steepest at the end. Wait, I think Gran Fondo Canmore does the north half of the pass. Good that I didn't sign up for both, they are a week apart.

http://transrockies.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Gran_Fondo_Highwood_Pass____route_map-Jun11.jpg

msommers
01-11-2014, 10:22 AM
Nice one thx :thumbsup:

Penguin_Racecar
01-11-2014, 10:54 AM
I've done the Gran Fondo Highwood Pass twice - don't underestimate the last part of the climb if you're riding from Longview to Stoney Nakoda reserve. Made the mistake of not pacing myself properly on the king of the mountain event and had to get off my bike to stretch with a 1km left in the climb. Second time I paced way better and rode the climb no problem. The descent on the north side is fun but beware of wind in some sections.

As far as I'm aware the highwood pass is still closed for construction after this summer's flooding - may want to read more into that.
As mentioned - it gets chilly up there. First year it was 4C at the top @ 2200m elevation (mind you it was only 18C or so in Longview). That with a 70-80km/hr downhill makes it frosty :)
Second year - 18C or so at the top (mid 20s in Longview)

Penguin_Racecar
01-11-2014, 11:01 AM
Looks like I am wrong:

https://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Flood%20Recovery%202013/SOUTHERN_ALBERTA_FLOOD_PHOTOS.pdf

From that PDF it appears HWY 40 is open again!

lilmira
01-11-2014, 11:06 AM
more training! :burnout:

And the Tour of Alberta will be back. Hope they bring back the Tour of Alberta Challenge as well.

http://www.tourofalberta.ca/

bigbadboss101
01-11-2014, 11:15 AM
Thanks guys. The whole route looks quite interesting for experience riders. For me my friend is looking at the 17 km stretch up and then down. Will get my bike out there and start riding.