PDA

View Full Version : Best watch for $1000?

Bucktown
01-09-2014, 04:32 PM
So Ive finally decided to start wearing watches, but to be honest I'm a little confused.

I'm somewhat familiar with a few of the more prominent brands in the watch marketplace, but a few of the smaller, less prolific, brands definitely have some interesting stuff. The issue I'm having is that I don't know enough about the smaller brands and their watches/reputations to warrant a purchase yet, and I don't necessarily want to start my collection off with a more common run of the mill timepiece.

To aid me in my research, I'm wondering if any of you watch guys could recommend to me a good starter watch/brand in the ~$1000 range? What would you pick and why? Thanks!

prosh
01-09-2014, 04:42 PM
Some variation of a Hamilton Jazzmaster is imo your best bang for your buck in that price range. Excellent designs and they look really classy but its up to you if you wanted something more sporty vs classic.

Asian_defender
01-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Depends on what your looking for, you can get into the Seiko premier line for under $1000 bucks but most of them are going to be kinetic. If your looking for automatic then I'd stick with Hamilton

Another option you may consider is going on WUS and getting used, you would be surprised at how much more watch you'll get if you don't mind slightly used

88CRX
01-09-2014, 05:24 PM
In before Lum-tec post.

But seriously check them out either directly through their website or through their Canadian distributor Wrist Weapon. Also do a search on here for lumtec as it seems lots of members have purchased them in the past and lots of positive comments on them. I love mine, wear it every day.

Neil4Speed
01-09-2014, 05:25 PM
Quite a few Longines models come into that price range, as do The higher end Tissots (which are quite good!)

Justin at Carati by Gem is your man - Scotia center.

spikerS
01-09-2014, 05:27 PM
depends on what features you want, what kind of movement, etc...

For an Automatic, I would def recommend a Hamilton for that price. They have been around forever, and have a good reputation.

For a quartz, Lum-Tec is a pretty solid watch too

Seikos are a safe bet too, as are Tissots.

The best thing you can do, is start looking around, and actually visit stores in person. So many times have I seen a watch online and loved it, only to go in store, see it in person, and turn right back around.

rage2
01-09-2014, 05:42 PM
Before you buy an automatic, buy a cheap automatic, like a Seiko 5 or something. They're like $80, a solid watch, good auto movement, so you can get used to the nuances of an automatic watch.

So many watch forums are littered with threads by mechanical watch noobs bitching about losing 5s a day lol. You really gotta get used to all that crap before you should commit to an automatic long term.

snowcat
01-09-2014, 05:53 PM
Oris. Love their brand and style.

Bucktown
01-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Thanks for all the quick responses, looks like Ive got some more reading to do. I'm definitely not opposed to going used, seems like a smart way to keep a rotation going. I am leaning towards a more casual everyday watch for my first one, and then adding black tie option after that, then an outdoors oriented watch for when hunting/fishing etc.

ercchry
01-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
Thanks for all the quick responses, looks like Ive got some more reading to do. I'm definitely not opposed to going used, seems like a smart way to keep a rotation going. I am leaning towards a more casual everyday watch for my first one, and then adding black tie option after that, then an outdoors oriented watch for when hunting/fishing etc.

nice thing about lum-tec is a bunch of models come with 3 straps so you'd get your casual look (steel bracelet), your classy look (leather strap), and your sporting look (rubber strap) all in one package

A790
01-09-2014, 06:26 PM
Hamilton/Tissot/Victorinox/Citizen/Seiko would be my recommendation. I have three Hamilton's and two Tissot's. All are excellent and well made.

At the $1,000 range you're looking at auto's using ETA movements. They're reliable and fairly accurate (to within the 5-10 seconds/day range). You'll also be getting a sapphire crystal (assuming Hamilton/Tissot/Victorinox)

Rage's comment about picking up a cheap auto isn't a half bad idea, either.

statick
01-09-2014, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by A790
Hamilton/Tissot/Citizen/Seiko...

What he said, also Stowa and certain Certina models. Have a look at their online catalogues and see what interests you.

Assuming you have no other watches, want something fairly casual and are happy with a quartz, I'd recommend Citizen's BN0100-51E... It may be an offering from a "prominent" brand, but it is a Japanese made piece which is not sold in the domestic market. The Asian-market pieces from Citizen and Seiko are not as common around these parts and also have slightly better build quality, at least in my experience.

As far as automatics are concerned, I'd go with a Certina DS Action Diver or Seiko SBDC001 (also a JDM model). Both offer great value and are not too pricey. The Seiko wears a little large at 44mm, but that might be alright for you.

Welcome to wearing watches and all the best in finding what you presently desire.

snowcat
01-09-2014, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

nice thing about lum-tec is a bunch of models come with 3 straps so you'd get your casual look (steel bracelet), your classy look (leather strap), and your sporting look (rubber strap) all in one package

Causal is leather, classy is bracelet.

ercchry
01-09-2014, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by snowcat

No

hassanb
01-10-2014, 09:24 AM
Take a look at the Attesa offerings from Citizen. There is an ebay shop ( google ibuyjp) from Japan that has them for very good prices.
Also you can see a lot of watches in HD video on WATCHTANAKA1 youtube channel

heavyfuel
01-10-2014, 09:31 AM
Please. A good watch starts at 10-12k.

89coupe
01-10-2014, 10:31 AM
Another vote for

www.Hamiltonwatch.com

bjstare
01-10-2014, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by ercchry

No

r3ccOs
01-10-2014, 11:48 AM
anything with a decent case, ETA 2825 movement and the style you like.

The Luminox Autos are pretty stellar and purpose built

A790
01-10-2014, 12:05 PM

There is much more to what defines a watches style than its strap/bracelet.

My Jazzmaster Auto Chrono will always look classy/dressy, regardless of the strap attached to it.

Pic relevant.

http://www.watchesyoucanafford.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/hamilton-jazzmaster-auto-chrono-glamour4.jpg

civic_stylez
01-10-2014, 12:48 PM
I love my TW Steel watch. They range from $500.00 - $1000.00 from what i remember. Theyre definitely big but not too bulky and go well with a suit. Ive had several comments/people asking about them. They arent the most mainstream which is why i like it. Never had a complaint with it and they are getting more and more into motorsports. (F1 and MotoGP) so i hope the brand grows. Thats where id put my suggestion!

http://webstore.twsteel.com/en_ca

Cansogo
01-10-2014, 12:57 PM
Used Omega

Send it in for a tune-up 1-2k

Swatch makes some decent mid line stuff too…..I know the name throws you off but they do manufacture 95% of all the components and movements for all the BIG names

Eco-Dive Blackhawk or blue angel is a nice entry level watch for 5-600 ish

But Omega is by far the only one I would buy in the 6-8K range

Watches are like cars BMW, Benz etc…..They are all nice just what do you prefer

snowcat
01-10-2014, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by A790

There is much more to what defines a watches style than its strap/bracelet.

My Jazzmaster Auto Chrono will always look classy/dressy, regardless of the strap attached to it.

Pic relevant.

http://www.watchesyoucanafford.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/hamilton-jazzmaster-auto-chrono-glamour4.jpg

Sure, shorts and t and a leather band just looks 100x better than a bracelet. I then put my watch on a bracelet for the 9-5 and suit.

88CRX
01-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
I love my TW Steel watch. They range from $500.00 - $1000.00 from what i remember. Theyre definitely big but not too bulky and go well with a suit. Ive had several comments/people asking about them. They arent the most mainstream which is why i like it. Never had a complaint with it and they are getting more and more into motorsports. (F1 and MotoGP) so i hope the brand grows. Thats where id put my suggestion!

http://webstore.twsteel.com/en_ca

jomashop.com for heavily discounted TW Steel watches :thumbsup:

I recently received one as a gift and for the price it's a nice piece.

89coupe
01-10-2014, 02:28 PM
Look up Valjoux and you will see how many watch manufacturers share the same movement.

ercchry
01-10-2014, 02:42 PM

Sure, shorts and t and a leather band just looks 100x better than a bracelet. I then put my watch on a bracelet for the 9-5 and suit.

shiiiit, i guess i should keep the patek philippe for the beach only then :rolleyes:

civic_stylez
01-10-2014, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

jomashop.com for heavily discounted TW Steel watches :thumbsup:

I recently received one as a gift and for the price it's a nice piece.

Holy shit, you arent kidding!! thanks for the info! Im gonna scoop a few up. That site is killer. :love: