PDA

View Full Version : laptop won't boot up??

ekguy
02-13-2014, 07:09 PM
turn it on, makes clicking noises then goes to a black screen and says this.

for atheros PCIE Ethernet controller v2..1.1.1.

Check cable connection
PXE-M0F: exiting intel PXE ROM
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

Went into setup menu and tried disabling it from booting off ethernet device to no avail

went and played a bit in F10 and tried different boot settings also to no avail...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

ekguy
02-13-2014, 07:11 PM
Also side note...it just booted up fine...and has a few times since the issue started. the clicking noise is worrisome but when it doesnt make the noise it boots up fine....loose wire??? dust???

CompletelyNumb
02-13-2014, 07:17 PM
Your harddrive is failing. Back up everything you don't want to lose right now.

ekguy
02-13-2014, 07:39 PM
already have. could i add a solid state harddrive and have that as my boot up disk?

ekguy
02-13-2014, 07:47 PM
so im thinking it could be a good time to upgrade it: a bit more ram, a current version of windows, and a solid state hard drive and regular hard drive. I was told you can install the operating system on the solid state if i get one. Any truth to this?

firebane
02-13-2014, 07:54 PM
Being a laptop most of them only have room for 1 hard drive. You would have to check the specs if you can run 2 drives in it.

roll_over
02-13-2014, 08:07 PM
Im running a solid state drive right now so im sure you can load an OS on it, the same thing that youre describing happened to me, so I upgraded my ram and got a solid state instead of a new laptop

ekguy
02-13-2014, 08:15 PM
i have a gaming rig. i'm pretty sure I have 2 slots. I'll check.

ekguy
02-13-2014, 08:26 PM
i have 2 pci-e slots it says. thats what i need right?

Boosted131
02-14-2014, 01:06 AM
Without reading the previous posts...
Your hard drive is either dead, or dying.
It is trying to boot from network (pxe boot)
I would take the hard drive off and plug in to another computer and try and get the data off asap

revelations
02-14-2014, 01:22 AM
What is the make and model of the laptop?

J.M.
02-14-2014, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Boosted131
Without reading the previous posts...
Your hard drive is either dead, or dying.
It is trying to boot from network (pxe boot)
I would take the hard drive off and plug in to another computer and try and get the data off asap

Try reading the previous posts next time

firebane
02-14-2014, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by ekguy
i have 2 pci-e slots it says. thats what i need right?

No. Hard drives work off of sata or msata slots.

ekguy
02-14-2014, 10:09 AM
it's a lenovo y580.

ekguy
02-14-2014, 10:15 AM
see im reading something off a computer forum and it's saying you can use a pci-e slot to connect a msata ssd.

ekguy
02-14-2014, 10:17 AM
this is from that thread.

Yes, the Lenovo Y580 has two slots:

1 x SATA port. This can be used for a traditional hard disk drive (HDD) or SATA SSD

1 x mSATA port. This can be used for an mSATA SSD.

syscal
02-14-2014, 10:39 AM
I hadn't actually looked up mSata yet. Pretty cool - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=msata%20ssd&Submit=ENE

And yes, you can boot the OS from SSD. Add the card, edit the boot order in your BIOS and plug in the Windows installation media.

revelations
02-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Your laptop does not have internal space for dual 2.5" drives, you need to remove and replace your existing drive.

I would not recommend cloning/copying a defective unit, esp if youre migrating to an SSD - best to do a bare metal install.

syscal
02-14-2014, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by revelations
Your laptop does not have internal space for dual 2.5" drives, you need to remove and replace your existing drive.

I would not recommend cloning/copying a defective unit, esp if youre migrating to an SSD - best to do a bare metal install.

The dual drive capability comes from the internal mini-PCIe slot that can accept mSata. It's new information for me as well, but I took the time to type "mSata" in google before I posted...

revelations
02-14-2014, 11:45 AM
You can certainly connect a multitude of devices to a mini-PCIe slot, but I saw no mention of physical space for a second 2.5 device in the laptop manual.

Only talked about removing the existing unit ---- manuals are far from perfect though.

http://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/content/user_guides/y480-y580-ug-en.pdf

http://darucomputers.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/lenovo-ideapad-y580-fhd.jpg

quick_scar
02-14-2014, 11:54 AM
From what I see, you have a couple options:

1. Replace the failing drive with a single 2.5" SSD
2. Replace the failing drive with another spinning disk drive.
3. Replace the failing drive with another spinning disk drive, and add an mSATA drive to boot from
4. Remove the CD/DVD drive and get an adapter that will allow you to run any 2.5" drive from it (NOTE, SATA 2 speeds, not 3) and do one of the options above for the already failing drive.
5. Go all out, get an MSATA drive to boot, replace the current 2.5" failing drive with a huge storage one, and replace the CD/DVD drive for even more storage.

revelations
02-14-2014, 12:34 PM
Sorry, have never used msata before .... certainly one option though.

ekguy
02-14-2014, 09:33 PM
k well I still use my dvd drive sometimes to watch movies in my laptop. It booted fine so now im just not going to shut it off till i fix it.

Also I am not planning on copying all my stuff over. I've backed up all my school files and stuff on a flash drive.

I was planning on upping my ram, getting a newer version of windows, and getting a ssd and possibly overclocking my processor from 2.7 to 3.7 which I have read can be done on my laptop.

Are there any upgrades that can be done to the cooling system?

firebane
02-14-2014, 10:03 PM
k well I still use my dvd drive sometimes to watch movies in my laptop. It booted fine so now im just not going to shut it off till i fix it.

Also I am not planning on copying all my stuff over. I've backed up all my school files and stuff on a flash drive.

I was planning on upping my ram, getting a newer version of windows, and getting a ssd and possibly overclocking my processor from 2.7 to 3.7 which I have read can be done on my laptop.

Are there any upgrades that can be done to the cooling system?

Laptops are VERY dangerous to overclock unless the cooling system is going to work well. 2.7 to 3.7 is a massive jump with no guarantees it'll work so your mileage may vary.

Stick with 7, get a ssd and that machine should be good for a bit.

ekguy
02-14-2014, 11:08 PM
what about giving it a slight bump up? maybe not over clocking it to the maximum? does running something like an ssd and adding more ram reduce operating temps since there'd be less strain on the system? This has been a great laptop for me and I'd like to turn this into a beast.

firebane
02-14-2014, 11:12 PM
what about giving it a slight bump up? maybe not over clocking it to the maximum? does running something like an ssd and adding more ram reduce operating temps since there'd be less strain on the system? This has been a great laptop for me and I'd like to turn this into a beast.

It won't be a beast but I doubt it running that warm.

An SSD could potentially drop the temps a few degrees as there isn't any moving parts to cause extra heat.

ekguy
02-14-2014, 11:19 PM
sweet. yeah it booted up fine so now im just going to not shut it down for a bit. going to start getting parts online in the next little bit here.

why would you say to stay with windows 7 versus windows 8? is there an advantage other than the fact it will take less to memory and space to run? or is windows 8 just a shit OS??

firebane
02-14-2014, 11:41 PM
sweet. yeah it booted up fine so now im just going to not shut it down for a bit. going to start getting parts online in the next little bit here.

why would you say to stay with windows 7 versus windows 8? is there an advantage other than the fact it will take less to memory and space to run? or is windows 8 just a shit OS??

Personal preference. I don't find 8 to work well on anything other than a tablet.

ekguy
02-14-2014, 11:49 PM
thanks for the advice. I'll stick with 7.

Going to try and do this myself and im not super computer literate.

What will be the hardest part? I figure I'd get a fresh install completely. I have all my files backed up. All my music is on both my laptops so thats not an issue. Movies are on both as well.

Is it as simple as putting a new hard drive and then throwing a windows disk in? or am I completely daft in thinking it's that simple?

firebane
02-15-2014, 12:10 AM
thanks for the advice. I'll stick with 7.

Going to try and do this myself and im not super computer literate.

What will be the hardest part? I figure I'd get a fresh install completely. I have all my files backed up. All my music is on both my laptops so thats not an issue. Movies are on both as well.

Is it as simple as putting a new hard drive and then throwing a windows disk in? or am I completely daft in thinking it's that simple?

Before you install any new hard drive make sure you have the restore discs for your laptop. They either come with it or there will be a program on your laptop to create them.

Then yes.. stick in the new drive and use the restore discs.

syscal
02-15-2014, 12:24 AM
OEM Install media links to digitalriver are here http://best-windows.vlaurie.com/boot-disks.html#full

Only issue you need to make sure you cover is network drivers. Can't get the remaining drivers without internet :)

Clean Win7 install is much better performance than the restore media from factory. They put too much bloatware on those DVD's so if you can, this is a better approach.

firebane
02-15-2014, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by syscal
OEM Install media links to digitalriver are here http://best-windows.vlaurie.com/boot-disks.html#full

Only issue you need to make sure you cover is network drivers. Can't get the remaining drivers without internet :)

Clean Win7 install is much better performance than the restore media from factory. They put too much bloatware on those DVD's so if you can, this is a better approach.

Good post. I agree clean is better but depends on what the OP has.

ekguy
02-15-2014, 08:06 AM
What do you mean depends on what I have. And I bought this laptop used so i don't believe i have a disk for it. Do I need to make a restore disk even if I install a fresh version of windows 7? I'm assuming this is so I have all the drivers for my video card, sound, screen, etc??

:dunno:

CompletelyNumb
02-15-2014, 08:53 AM
Make one to be safe. Find the right network drivers for your laptop and have them on a usb key (had a couple laptops not function with standard windows drivers, had no internet after fresh install. So now I download these drivers before hand). Do a fresh install. Windows update should find the proper drivers for all your other hardware afterwards.