PDA

View Full Version : Haskayne EMBA: Throughts?

Darkane
03-07-2014, 03:33 PM
http://haskayne.ucalgary.ca/programs/emba/Alberta-Haskayne-EMBA

Anyone taken or heard of this before? I'm considering it in the next 3-5 years if everything goes as planned. Or sooner who knows.

It's fucking pricey, fast-tracked, and looks awesome.

I may be able to finally call myself a Haskayne Douche!

Cliff notes of Link:

-58,000$ total course cost
-20 Months completion
-Designed for Mid Level Managerial Types
-Final year International "Learning" Trip
-Haskayne = Prestigious o0o0o0o0lo ;)
-Hand picked instructors
-Average age of students - 37

ercchry
03-07-2014, 03:43 PM
my old man did this, their trip was to china.... um, yeah worked well for him but was hell on family life for that time frame since he was also working full time. but the contacts he made during the MBA is the sole reason he is where he is now... and where he is now is good ;)

Darkane
03-07-2014, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
my old man did this, their trip was to china.... um, yeah worked well for him but was hell on family life for that time frame since he was also working full time. but the contacts he made during the MBA is the sole reason he is where he is now... and where he is now is good ;)

Exactly! Good to hear.

The networking from this, In my eyes, is priceless.

I've done some additional reading and it seems 80-100 hour weeks of work and schooling are the norm. If you don't mind me asking how old was your Father when he took it?

Another option I'm going to explore is to see if I can take any of the course or equivalents in the years before the Program. That might lead to a lessened work load for me.

ercchry
03-07-2014, 03:51 PM
yeah 80-100 is about right, um, it was about 16 years ago now? so right around 37 actually hahaha... maybe 36 when he started it

leftwing
03-07-2014, 05:24 PM
Nothing to add,

I just love your ambition.

Prail
03-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Wifey is going into this for the fall. Shes pretty excited about it as well!

Pricey as hell but work is paying for it with no strings attached... so why not!

Edit: The non EMBA, I think it's just the 'regular' fast track program? Costs/timeframe sound around the same.

Euro_Trash
03-10-2014, 06:58 AM
If you are willing to take some of the courses before you could consider the evening program as well

Darkane
03-10-2014, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash
If you are willing to take some of the courses before you could consider the evening program as well

Yeah. I'll have to check it out. I thought I saw some courses were emba students only or something. Couldn't just take them for credit

KappaSigma
03-11-2014, 12:34 PM
Whats your background...if you already have what I call a high end recognized designation....MBA are pointless. Network yourself.

If you do not have a designation...then go for it.

Darkane
03-11-2014, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by KappaSigma
Whats your background...if you already have what I call a high end recognized designation....MBA are pointless. Network yourself.

If you do not have a designation...then go for it.

No, unfortunately I don't have anything.

My power Engineering ticket which I'm constantly upgrading. Will be second class in a few months here.

Hence the need for a degree.

timdog
03-12-2014, 11:03 AM
wondering if your work is supporting you in this, as in paying a portion..? also, dont alot of the classes happen during the day, like in 1 or 2 week condensed course loads? if so, is your work giving you that time off? just curious. the company i work for does offer a lot of education incentive but I imagine this is a bit over their limits.

Darkane
03-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by timdog
wondering if your work is supporting you in this, as in paying a portion..? also, dont alot of the classes happen during the day, like in 1 or 2 week condensed course loads? if so, is your work giving you that time off? just curious. the company i work for does offer a lot of education incentive but I imagine this is a bit over their limits.

No. It wouldn't be completely covered right now. But in the future..

Have to wait for some key pieces to fall into place.

stillworking
03-12-2014, 06:27 PM
Ultimately, it comes down to what you want to do with it, that should dictate whether it is going to be worth the time and expense.

Are you aspiring to get into management or make a career change?

You mentioned you are a power engineer. Would it more worthwhile pursuing 1st Class?

Have you considered any other programs, MBA, or otherwise?

timdog
04-07-2014, 04:21 PM
has anyone taken Haskayne's Evening MBA? thoughts?
also, it lists the cost as $32,000 or something like that and says you can complete it in 3 years. I assume that $32,000 is the cost for ALL of the courses, and you pay as you go? I ask because my work would likely cover a good chunk of the cost every year. but if the cost is all at once, then i'm screwed. haha

Euro_Trash
04-08-2014, 07:15 AM
Yep pay as you go. Roughly 5 or 6k per semester. PM me with any questions

stealth
05-01-2014, 02:18 PM
Can anyone here who has an MBA tell me how the course load is? Are you working on it every night?

zooter
05-06-2014, 02:27 PM
Seems like this thread would be a good place to ask if anyone has taken the Haskayne Business Essentials Program aka "Mini MBA"

It's compressed over 6 months and covers alot of the topics you would cover in a regular MBA, but for people who don't have the time or are too busy to take the full MBA:

http://haskayne.ucalgary.ca/files/haskayne/Business_Essentials_2.pdf

Thoughts? Experiences?

Darkane
05-29-2014, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by stillworking
Ultimately, it comes down to what you want to do with it, that should dictate whether it is going to be worth the time and expense.

Are you aspiring to get into management or make a career change?

You mentioned you are a power engineer. Would it more worthwhile pursuing 1st Class?

Have you considered any other programs, MBA, or otherwise?

I'm considering my first class, however all I need to obtain Operations Supervisor at the plant is a second class.

Everything looks good to nab a supervisor position in 2 years.

In 5-7 years I want to be in a permanent Operations Co-ordinator position in the office. 5 years there acquiring an EMBA or similar and I can shoot for Operations Manager.

15 years down the Road VP? Shoot big!

JustinL
05-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by stealth
Can anyone here who has an MBA tell me how the course load is? Are you working on it every night?

I did the part time program at the University of Alberta. It's a full MBA (not condensed) with all the same requirements as the full time students.

It's 5 courses per year over 4 years. That's 2 courses per semester and one in the spring or summer for most students. 2 courses in a term translates to 3 hour classes twice a week plus probably 3-6 hours of reading and homework per week. Basically if you can carve 9-12 hours per week out for 4 years you can do well in the part time program.

The courses aren't especially difficult, you just need to put in the time.

The eMBA, IIRC, costs more and you get less instruction from it. The 'e' stands for expensive.

Disoblige
05-29-2014, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

I'm considering my first class, however all I need to obtain Operations Supervisor at the plant is a second class.

In 5-7 years I want to be in a permanent Operations Co-ordinator position in the office. 5 years there acquiring an EMBA or similar and I can shoot for Operations Manager.

Awesome :thumbsup:

stealth
06-02-2014, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

I don't know where you work but at places I worked you don't need an MBA or even a 1st to get an Ops Manager role.

Darkane
06-02-2014, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by stealth

I don't know where you work but at places I worked you don't need an MBA or even a 1st to get an Ops Manager role.

You're right. However because we have multiple plants our "general" ops manager is based out of the office in calgary.

Each plant has as plant superintendant (manager).