PDA

View Full Version : Coding

smokedog
03-13-2014, 07:17 PM
I'm developing an interest in code. I want to learn how to code. Does anyone know schools/colleges that teach code? Something similar to this- http://flatironschool.com/

I did a Google search, found a one or two schools, but I really don't want to go to NAIT or SAIT. Thanks

firebane
03-13-2014, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by smokedog
I'm developing an interest in code. I want to learn how to code. Does anyone know schools/colleges that teach code? Something similar to this- http://flatironschool.com/

I did a Google search, found a one or two schools, but I really don't want to go to NAIT or SAIT. Thanks

Do you have a reason to want to code? What do you want to code? Is there a language you prefer; C+, C++, Java?

The term code is so vague that it will really decide what is going on.

Thomas Gabriel
03-14-2014, 08:52 AM
Depends what you want to do. If you want to be truly good, like 3d game-programming good, then comp sci courses would be best. If you want the best platform from a bang for your buck productivity standpoint learn C# on your own, no need for courses.

smokedog
03-14-2014, 11:46 AM
Thank you for the suggestions & info., I truly appreciate it.

I like learning new things. My goal is not to become a programmer. I want to learn a new skill. Also, I am a new teacher(elementary), & I would love to transfer my skills to my students. I would like to start a coding/programming club after school or during lunch. I posted the link because I am looking for a similar course (12 week). There are online courses, but I excel in a classroom settings & the quality of teaching is better.

Regarding the type of coding, I want to learn the basic & intermediate skills, not 3D programming. You are the pros, what do you suggest? Where should a beginner start? Thomas suggested C#

As you noticed, I am a beginner. Therefore, my goal is to find a school/college/ that offers an introductory course.

Thank you

mazdavirgin
03-14-2014, 11:51 AM

I like learning new things. My goal is not to become a programmer. I want to learn a new skill. Also, I am a new teacher(elementary), & I would love to transfer my skills to my students. I would like to start a coding/programming club after school or during lunch. I posted the link because I am looking for a similar course (12 week). There are online courses, but I excel in a classroom settings & the quality of teaching is better.

Regarding the type of coding, I want to learn the basic & intermediate skills, not 3D programming. You are the pros, what do you suggest? Where should a beginner start? Thomas suggested C#

As you noticed, I am a beginner. Therefore, my goal is to find a school/college/ that offers an introductory course.

Thank you

I would suggest something like python which is open source and free. C# is fine if you want to get paid to do it and are going to do it as a career but for your audience and trying to do something like this in the school board with no budget. Python is probably your best bet. It's simple and will teach you basic concepts without having to have the overhead of complicated GUI stuff.

Hakkola
03-14-2014, 12:10 PM
Not a school but I highly recommend it: http://www.codecademy.com/
I agree, start with python, that's what we started with in comp sci at the university.
Also, I actually highly recommend SAIT. I've spent years at Mount Royal and the UofC, I'm finishing a cert at SAIT right now and the experience is just as good if not better than what I've experienced at the two universities.

firebane
03-14-2014, 12:42 PM

Thank you

For most people to learn without a purpose will cause them to not have interest and just lose interest.

In regards to the elementary thing any programming language is going to be difficult for most kids to grasp. When I was in high school (Grade 8) I was learning Pascal and even at that point I didn't have the attention span to want to really learn it.

reiRei
03-14-2014, 02:15 PM
I love coding, but my interests are purely for web development. I like to code HTML5 and CSS, and those languages can be very rewarding for kids to learn because their the underlying language for most websites out there :D

SilverGS
03-14-2014, 02:30 PM
http://code.org/learn

EK69
03-14-2014, 02:31 PM
anyone else think elementary kids will not go for this idea? :dunno:

object oriented programming + elementary kids = :banghead: + :nut:

ArjayAquino
03-14-2014, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by EK69

Agreed, they might get overwhelmed and in turn lose interest.

I would do what reiRei mentioned and learn HTML5 and CSS. It's not really coding more like markup and stylesheets but it would be a good start. After that you could teach them Javascript coding to make the HTML pages more interactive.

UndrgroundRider
03-14-2014, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by EK69

You're completely wrong. I started programming when I was in elementary and loved it. Many kids did. I'm not sure if it's still around but Calgary use to host a yearly programming competition that had a completely packed elementary division.

.jl-
03-15-2014, 12:58 PM
If you want to start teaching kids how to start coding, check out scratch. It's a coding language created for kids to start learning the very basics (if statements and loops).

http://scratch.mit.edu/

syscal
03-16-2014, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by .jl-
If you want to start teaching kids how to start coding, check out scratch. It's a coding language created for kids to start learning the very basics (if statements and loops).

http://scratch.mit.edu/
+1 - Harvard CS50 course on Edx used this as introduction before going into C

googe
03-16-2014, 09:17 AM
There are a bunch of intro courses on coursera.org. I agree with python to start out.

Czar
03-16-2014, 11:05 AM
If your looking at teaching kids, I`d recommend logo. After that VB.NET would be the next language I`d teach or learn.

Visual Studio (which has free editions) is arguably the best development environment around which makes setup and learning alot more enjoyable.

smokedog
03-16-2014, 05:09 PM
This is a wealth of info. Thanks

khanan
03-16-2014, 08:31 PM
A coding language like python isn't something a lot of elementary kids are going to go after...

Someone mentioned Scratch earlier, and that is the best way to start coding. Its simple, intuitive and it will definitely get kids involved.

The next step would be python, super simple and very easy to use. (on a language scale)

After that a more advanced approach can be C++ or C#, if you do get a lot of interest.

Also check out Code.org, it's based off a website so you won't need to install any new programs and it's an excellent way of learning the logic that goes behind many coding projects,

ReflexFX
03-16-2014, 08:42 PM
Definitely start with Scratch.
The amount of complexity that can stem from java and C can be overwhelming especially if you are trying to teach yourself. It can be done, but why not start with the basics