PDA

View Full Version : HID kit and Install

dj_patm
03-20-2014, 02:15 PM
Hey Guys,
I'm looking to get some HID's put into my 2013 Genesis Coupe. It's got projector housing but the bumpers apparently need to be taken off to do the install and with this being a new car, I don't feel like risking my inept ass messing around with anything quite yet.

Anyone have a rough idea what I'd be looking at for the kit and the install? Also would potentially be looking to do the fogs too which from what I gather from looking around usually comes out to the same as the headlights?

Any recommendations you guys can give me would be great!

Phihalo
03-20-2014, 03:06 PM
Costs - around 60bucks a pair including ballast if you look for a deal
Install - If you have to take off the bumper to simply change out the headlights for a vehicle, that to me is a major design flaw as headlights should be easy to change out due to safety issues (visibility during night time). I'd almost be certain to say that finding a place to mount the ballast would be harder than actual change of the bulb itself.

slinkie
03-20-2014, 03:31 PM
I've been researching HID bulbs too lately. It seems like the brightest one available right now is the Osram Xenarc CBI, which produces a 5000k coloured light.

rx7boi
03-20-2014, 05:56 PM
Hey, PM me. I drive a 2012 Genesis.

I know exactly what you need and any other information you need about your 2013 Genesis.

The kit will run you between 100-180 USD. You can either take it to a shop of your choice but I know a guy who does it on the side who quoted me for $50 flat rate for HID installs.

Crazyjoker77
03-20-2014, 06:27 PM
I installed a set of fogs on a friends geni just before the winter. He had factory HID headlights and couldn't stand the color difference between them and the fogs. An issue we ran into was that he very frequently was blowing fuses when he would first turn them on. This is because HID have a higher start up current and the fuse(stupid micro sized) on the geni is 5A lower than most cars fog circuit(at least my 5 cars anyways) A quick search on the geni forums found this to be a pretty common issue with them.

Just make sure to order a relay harness for them and you wont have any problems but it does add a bit more complexity to the installation.(and with the relay you could even up the wattage to a 55w kit safely)

I've ran a couple group buys for HID kits from VVME.com and everyone involved has been happy with the kits.

BlueHaloGirl
03-21-2014, 11:31 AM
You can also check out this local shop www.finelinecustomwork.com They did my retrofit on my headlights and I super happy with thier work...that's if you still want to take it to a shop.