PDA

View Full Version : Considering Installing Rear Sway bar in HHR

MalibuStacy
03-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Its no secret the chev HHR has bad handling characteristics :banghead:. Before everyone jumps on the hate-bandwagon, let me explain my plans.

First, I am not doing lowering springs or shocks yet, I want to try installing a rear sway bar first. My plans are to do more major upgrades after I'm done school.

Second, I have read on HHR forums that installing a turbotech rear sway bar improves the rear end handling. I am a bit confused on how this improves handling, since the rear suspension on the HHR is a solid axle setup. It is not independent trailing arm suspension.

I installed a rear sway bar on my Malibu and it made a huge difference, but it was a rear suspension trailing arm setup.

So my question is how does a rear sway bar make handling better when it is installed on a solid axle setup?

ercchry
03-25-2014, 01:30 PM
my question is... why are you doing everything backwards?

sway bars should be the final tweak in your suspension setup

ExtraSlow
03-25-2014, 01:30 PM
I'm no suspension expert, but this is also a common mod on pickup trucks and muscle cars, both with solid rear axles.

MalibuStacy
03-25-2014, 01:33 PM
Reason for doing this backwards... HHR does not have a rear sway bar to begin with. So first gonna add the sway bar, then add better springs shock etch once I am out of school

MalibuStacy
03-25-2014, 01:35 PM
Extraslow, I have installed sway bar mode in muscle cars rear axles, just wondering if it will be as good for a FWD car

blitz
03-25-2014, 01:36 PM
The real question is are you sure you want to sink money into an HHR? Honest question.

MalibuStacy
03-25-2014, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by blitz
The real question is are you sure you want to sink money into an HHR? Honest question.

As little as possible, car is low mileage and I plan on keeping it for a while

n1zm0
03-25-2014, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by MalibuStacy
just wondering if it will be as god for a FWD car

Back just after HS I had a Nissan Costanza for a bit, I went to the junk yard and got a thicker rear swaybar from an Axxess van and installed it (after research of course), if anything the ass end is tighter obviously, but did nothing at all collectively because the front suspension sucked anyways - the car was never meant for performance in the first place, it did tend to lose the back end too in the snow more willingly. Only after I found a cheap set of S13 tear drops instead of the 13inch steelies is when it made somewhat of an improvement. It was a low budget diy modification that costed $30, a can of WD40 and maybe 2 hours of my time.

imo unless you can go get a swaybar and links for an HHR at PnP for $30-$50 off another model, I wouldn't plan on sinking any money into that car especially if, as you said, plan to keep it for a while with minimal expenditures.

MalibuStacy
03-25-2014, 03:04 PM
^yeah looks like there is not a good stock option off of any car to fit to my HHR. When I did this on my Malibu I used a sway bar from a cutlass, bolted right in.

mikestypes
03-26-2014, 07:37 AM
The HHR doesn't have a solid rear axle, it has what is called a "twist beam", which is a semi-independent suspension.

It also has a rear sway bar, but not like you would normally think. It is a torsion bar welded to the trailing arms that sits inside the "beam". This bar works the same way a normal sway bar works, just without endlinks.

This same setup has been used for generations of Econo GM cars and was the same as used on a Sunfire GT I once sunk too much money into. I did an additional rear sway bar on it, but that was after doing an Eibach/koni. It certainly made a difference, but I won't bother doing it again...

MalibuStacy
03-26-2014, 08:04 AM
^thanks for the help, yeah, the more I look into it, the less it seems to be worth it

mr2mike
03-26-2014, 10:02 AM
Did a swaybar and wider, lower profile wheels back in high school and the swaybar was still the best bang for the buck. Mind you, mine bolted right up and had poly bushings along with it.

I saw an HHR yesterday and personally, they're hideous... PT cruiser territory. But to each their own.

Today, maybe think of new wheels and toss some wheel spacers in there.
Would you even realize the gains with springs? Other than better stance?

MalibuStacy
03-26-2014, 01:45 PM
^Yeah, I checked the vin on the car, it has the "premium" suspension package :rolleyes: which includes the wider low profile tires. Haven't even considered the wheel spacer option yet. As for the sway bar available I have been told by HHR owners forums that for everyday driving, the sway bar makes the most noticeable gains.

Of course changing the springs and shocks would get better gains, but I am only looking to tighten up the rear end so the car feels a little tighter through twisty sections on trips. I'm not in a very big hurry, just looking for advice.

mr2mike
03-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Sway bars won't effect the ride quality for day to day in Calgary whereas, if you do springs and shocks, you'll be complaining of back pain on Calgary streets.

FunWheelDrive
03-28-2014, 01:00 PM
Also keep in mind that most manufacturers set the handling of a vehicle up to under steer as it's "safer" for the common driver. Installing a rear sway bar will tighten up the rear end but also change the handling to over-steer.

MalibuStacy
03-28-2014, 06:12 PM
^that's what I want though... I started driving in a 300 HP 1980 Malibu so I am all good on the oversteer

rx7_turbo2
03-29-2014, 10:17 AM
You want oversteer in an HHR?