PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix

phreezee
03-27-2014, 08:47 AM
Rain forecasted for the entire weekend :thumbsdow
Still pumped to see upgrades the teams are bringing, so hopefully it's not another runaway.

CapnCrunch
03-27-2014, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
Rain forecasted for the entire weekend :thumbsdow

Rain is the best equalizer. You always see some of the bottom teams do better in the rain. It takes away the engineering/budget advantage the bigger teams have, and it turns into driver vs driver, IMO.

Kloubek
03-27-2014, 12:27 PM
Hope they don't lose any cars.

...too soon?

CapnCrunch
03-27-2014, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Hope they don't lose any cars.

...too soon?

Ha ha, I was trying to think of a way to work that one in but it was either not funny or just assholish.

buh_buh
03-27-2014, 01:08 PM
Great, another situation to mask Redbull's shitty car.
Renault better pick it up.

rage2
03-27-2014, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Rain is the best equalizer. You always see some of the bottom teams do better in the rain. It takes away the engineering/budget advantage the bigger teams have, and it turns into driver vs driver, IMO.
I disagree. Rain gives the biggest advantage to teams with more inherent low speed downforce, and that's the baller teams. Look at how fast Ricciardo was in the RBR in qualifying on the *wrong* tires.

The only time where bottom teams do better in the rain is when there are differing forecasted conditions between Qualifying and Race, such as rain on Saturday and forecasted dry on Sunday, because of parc ferme rules of requiring the same setup between Q and R. Most teams would setup for dry race conditions, and qualify on an inferior setup. Smaller teams with nothing to lose would setup for rain, qualify up top, and gamble on rain for Sunday.

diamondedge
03-27-2014, 02:36 PM
I'm curious to see how these guys power out of the hairpins/low speed sections with all their new torque.

Also, Multi-13. If it turns out that way. Heh.

rage2
03-27-2014, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by diamondedge
I'm curious to see how these guys power out of the hairpins/low speed sections with all their new torque.
That wasn't much of an issue in Aus, and there's plenty of slow corners there. Although Magnussen almost crashed at the start not anticipating the torque off the line.

phreezee
03-27-2014, 02:47 PM

Just wanted to point out that Seb won Sportsman of the Year in Malaysia on the anniversary of Multi-21 :nut: :rofl:

Mibz
03-27-2014, 02:56 PM
Just wanted to point out that Seb won Sportsman of the Year in Malaysia on the anniversary of Multi-21 :nut: :rofl: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

buh_buh
03-27-2014, 02:58 PM
He did still earn the win by passing his teammate.
Well deserved award.

diamondedge
03-27-2014, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by rage2

That wasn't much of an issue in Aus, and there's plenty of slow corners there. Although Magnussen almost crashed at the start not anticipating the torque off the line.

It's the hairpin before the pit straight and the first corner that has my torque boner goin'

Kloubek
03-27-2014, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

Ha ha, I was trying to think of a way to work that one in but it was either not funny or just assholish.

...and, admittedly, my comment was somewhere in between both.

desto2para
03-27-2014, 05:59 PM
Wet race! I'm pumped!

CapnCrunch
03-28-2014, 08:56 AM

I disagree. Rain gives the biggest advantage to teams with more inherent low speed downforce, and that's the baller teams. Look at how fast Ricciardo was in the RBR in qualifying on the *wrong* tires.

I'm just going to assume you know more about the wet weather testing the teams have done so far.

sidewaysD
03-28-2014, 11:48 AM

Torque is not the issue lol..

Its braking with this "brake by wire" system. Seeing lots of lockups and late braking fails. Not alot of drivers liking this system.

Chris Elyea
03-29-2014, 01:31 AM
Can't trust the PVR with Malaysia's weather! Just gotta stay up all night to see what happens.

rage2
03-29-2014, 01:51 AM
Sweet, one other person watching quali live!

rage2
03-29-2014, 01:55 AM
Heavy rain from the looks of it. :(

edit - delayed 15 mins already

diamondedge
03-29-2014, 01:55 AM
Sweet, one other person watching quali live!

Checking in. Gotta love Natasha on Sportscentre. Rain. Ugh. Here we go.

Chris Elyea
03-29-2014, 02:18 AM
Looking forward to some long Safety Cars runs. That Mercedes sounds great, unlike this year's F1 cars.

Cos
03-29-2014, 10:46 AM

Mibz
03-29-2014, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Chris Elyea
Can't trust the PVR with Malaysia's weather! I extend my F1 recordings by an hour for that reason. You'd think it'd be okay, except today my recording ended like 1 minute after the checkered flag in Q3, haha. Had to bust open the app to "watch" the end.

phreezee
03-31-2014, 08:52 AM
Really happy for the dry race. I think Ricciardo can now claim the title of unluckiest driver from Lewis Hamilton.:D

EK 2.0
03-31-2014, 09:21 AM

Really happy for the dry race. I think Ricciardo can now claim the title of unluckiest driver from Lewis Hamilton.:D

Someone had to replace Webber...bad luck and all haha...

Cos
03-31-2014, 09:29 AM

EK 2.0
03-31-2014, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Cos

I am probably going to get flamed for this but I kind of like the noise. Sounds really futuristic and I like that it being quieter allows us to hear noises you didnt hear before.

I am in the same boat as you. I quite enjoy the new sound. I do miss the 18,000rpm screams...but like that there are so many sounds we never heard before....

And plus now radio communications back and forth are easier to hear...

CapnCrunch
03-31-2014, 10:42 AM
Mercedes seems to be so far ahead of the other teams. Hamilton was up like 20 seconds near the end of the race and them bam, pops of a fastest lap that was over 2 seconds faster than anyone else. Ridiculous.

This season is going to be over by the halfway point lol. The only thing to decide will be which Mercedes driver wins it.