PDA

View Full Version : Excel Autofill

jwslam
04-01-2014, 11:35 AM
Example

A1=1
B1=2
C1=A1+B1

Now is there a way such that when I enter numbers into A2,B2, that C2 will auto populate without me manually doing the fill function?

Phihalo
04-01-2014, 11:38 AM
click on C1, there's a square at the bottom right of the box, just drag it to wherever you want the formula to be in place.

http://www.excel-2010.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/excel-apply-formula-to-other-cells.gif

Cos
04-01-2014, 11:40 AM

jwslam
04-01-2014, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Phihalo
click on C1, there's a square at the bottom right of the box, just drag it to wherever you want the formula to be in place.
Did you know you can just double click and it'll automatically stop at the row where A and B aren't empty?

Originally posted by jwslam
Is there a way such that when I enter numbers into A2,B2, that C2 will auto populate without me manually doing the fill function?
Thanks though. The idea is that I don't want to have to manually drag it. I could just set it up that the whole column is A+B, but then when I go to print the thing it comes out with 1000+ rows of 0's where A&B have no value.

Originally posted by Cos
and if you dont want it to change the formula (say you want D1=A1+B1 for some reason) just add $ near it.

D$1$=A$1$+B$1$
Knew that as well, thanks Cos. P.S. I'm pretty sure the $ comes before and your all your column D values would end up the same because you $'ed the row# too, not just the column.

Is there an alternative solution I can implement where when I print it, anything that doesn't have a visual value (i.e. cell contains only a space via an if formula) will not print?