PDA

View Full Version : Computer Pros > is this rig worth ressurecting???

nonofyobiz
04-05-2014, 11:36 PM
This is a machine I put together for a buddy years ago, and it's just been sitting in his garage because it stopped working. I told him I'd see if i could figure out whats wrong.

I figured out pretty quickly it was the video card. NO video signal at all, but the machine starts up and runs fine when I connect directly to the motherboard graphics.

I think it just overheated because I notice the dust was just CAKED on the fans and heat syncs for the vid card and the cpu. I'm actually surprised the cpu still works lol

So anyway, here are the specs...

MB = Asus M2NPV-VM
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M2NPVVM/specifications/

CPU = AMD Athlon64 3800+ 2.41GHz

RAM = 1 GB Corsair PC2 5300, DDR2 667

PS = Corsair VX450

HDD = Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm 250GB

GPU = Saphire ATI Radeon x800GT (Bricked)

I'm wondering if I bought a graphics card and maybe upgraded the ram it would be decent again. Most likely used for Counter strike, web surfing.

I think I could upgrade to this...

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX20897
and maybe a video card =< $100

Thoughts?

GQBalla
04-05-2014, 11:45 PM
Yeah for web surfing. Why not

pheoxs
04-06-2014, 08:55 AM
I wouldn't upgrade it ... either just clean it up and use it as a web surfing computer for a un-tech-savvy relative or toss it on kijiji for 100$ as such and sell it.

It really isn't worth upgrading ram/gpu when the processor is fairly old. A 2.4ghz single core K8 just isn't going to cut it for anything.

If you want a light gaming rig I'd say sell it for what you can get and throw together a AMD FM2 apu rig for ~350$ and be set.

Seth1968
04-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by pheoxs
I wouldn't upgrade it ... either just clean it up and use it as a web surfing computer for a un-tech-savvy relative or toss it on kijiji for 100$ as such and sell it.

It really isn't worth upgrading ram/gpu when the processor is fairly old. A 2.4ghz single core K8 just isn't going to cut it for anything.

If by "anything", you mean what 99% of people use their computers for, then you're right:)

Given the dust description, it's likely the other components are on their last legs due to over heating. Which is why the OP found it surprising that it was even running.

OP, don't sell your problems to someone else. Depending on the OS though, you might want to increase the ram, and just use it for "anything" other than gaming or high end video editing.

nonofyobiz
04-06-2014, 11:19 AM
I'm trying to reinstall windows for buddy but he lost the product key lol.

Any recommends for a video card replacement?

I'll probably just give it back to him using the on board graphics and let him know he can upgrade it if he wants.