PDA

View Full Version : MATH321 vs MATH331

Escape
04-14-2014, 03:01 PM
Does anyone have experience with any of these courses at U of C - MATH 321 or MATH 331? Which would be easier (I'm not a math major)? I just need 1 senior math course.

I have done a course which dealt with some basic stats (SD, mean, Standard error, etc. , making decisions based on p-values, linear regression, ANOVA, etc.) but most of this was done using R, not manually. Is MATH321 similar to this, but calculating these numbers manually?

Thanks

AG_Styles
04-14-2014, 03:24 PM
Math 331 is multivariable calculas.

I hated the crap out of this course and unless you're pretty good at calculating 3D gradients, anti-derivatives and just solving literal multi-variable equations in 3D space, i'd try to avoid it. It's practical though if you're into graphics programming, physics programming, and general engineering. Overall, was not one of the hardest courses out there.

killramos
04-14-2014, 03:24 PM
Generally multivariate calculus is one of the easier of the math courses. All depends on prof in math though...

I found it way easier than first year calc

AG_Styles
04-14-2014, 03:31 PM
shiet man, I found linear and first year calc combined way easier than multivariate calc! I remember working my ass off too and still having a hard time at it.

Brent.ff
04-14-2014, 04:00 PM
Took 331 in my last year as I had delayed it as long as I could. So without any calculus in 4 years, passed it with regular effort. Felt easier then what i remembered in first year (however not being in first year probably made up for that in a big way). Had Aiffa who seems like a hardass, but super helpful if you ask for it

Escape
04-14-2014, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Brent.ff
Took 331 in my last year as I had delayed it as long as I could. So without any calculus in 4 years, passed it with regular effort. Felt easier then what i remembered in first year (however not being in first year probably made up for that in a big way). Had Aiffa who seems like a hardass, but super helpful if you ask for it

I'm in very similar situation as yours. Haven't taken calculus for 3 years. Aiffa is teaching next semester........ how hard are the exams? Does he give sample/previous exams?

Brent.ff
04-15-2014, 01:04 PM
Being that I hadn't taken calculus in years (was in last year of school, plus took a year off), and essentially had to relearn everything, it wasn't a walk in the park. It was doable. Exams were challenging, but not unfair.

He gives examples/previous exams, and is very willing to sit down with you and go through how to do them. Attend class/tutorials and do the examples it's not a big deal.

Brent.ff
04-15-2014, 02:16 PM
I also have the text book if you want it. PM me

Escape
04-15-2014, 07:35 PM
How's MATH 349 compared to 331?

themack89
04-23-2014, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Brent.ff

This could also be a result of an older and wiser brain, as well as the added experience of University. My last semester was my heaviest course load and hardest courses of my entire degree and I got my highest GPA from that lol.

Being a student is a skill, you get better and better at it.

Brent.ff
04-23-2014, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by themack89

This could also be a result of an older and wiser brain, as well as the added experience of University. My last semester was my heaviest course load and hardest courses of my entire degree and I got my highest GPA from that lol.

Being a student is a skill, you get better and better at it.

Oh absolutely. Couldn't stand first couple years and my GPA suffered. My last two years were identical to yours. Wish my GPA ignored the first year! Oh well