PDA

View Full Version : Passenger side speakers quieter than driver side

leftwing
04-19-2014, 04:07 PM
Recently I have noticed that my passenger side speakers are somewhat quieter than my driver side, so I am looking to the beyond car audio crowd for help. This has just happened about 2 weeks ago.

I have a 2008 Ford F-150 super crew with a completely stock sound system. The system has 4 6x8 speakers, 1 in all 4 doors with two tweeters in the front doors and a stock 8" sub under the back seat.

I have played with the balance and fade and isolated the problem to the passenger side. I have also tried swapping the driver and passenger side speakers and the problem stayed on the passenger side, so I eliminated the speakers as well.

This is about as far as my car audio knowledge goes. Id appreciate any help/ideas what the issue could be.

rage2
04-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by leftwing
Recently I have noticed that my passenger side speakers are somewhat quieter than my driver side, so I am looking to the beyond car audio crowd for help. This has just happened about 2 weeks ago.

I have a 2008 Ford F-150 super crew with a completely stock sound system. The system has 4 6x8 speakers, 1 in all 4 doors with two tweeters in the front doors and a stock 8" sub under the back seat.

I have played with the balance and fade and isolated the problem to the passenger side. I have also tried swapping the driver and passenger side speakers and the problem stayed on the passenger side, so I eliminated the speakers as well.

This is about as far as my car audio knowledge goes. Id appreciate any help/ideas what the issue could be.
Dumb question, but have you tried sitting in the passenger seat? Does the driver side speakers sound quieter when you do this?

leftwing
04-19-2014, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Dumb question, but have you tried sitting in the passenger seat? Does the driver side speakers sound quieter when you do this?

Not a dumb question as I had the same thoughts haha. I have tried this, as well as I have asked all my passengers over the last week what they thought and they all agreed that it was quieter on their side.

When playing a song with the volume turned up, if I set the 'balance' all the way to the right (passenger side only) then, while mid song, toggle it all the way left (driver side only) it is a very noticeable difference in volume level.

eglove
04-19-2014, 06:37 PM
Just take the door panel off and re-seat the plug (wires) going into the speaker

leftwing
04-19-2014, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by eglove
Just take the door panel off and re-seat the plug (wires) going into the speaker

Im assuming 'reseat' means unplug and plug back in. I have tried that. I mentioned that I disconnected both passenger and driver side speakers and swapped sides to test if it was the speakers that were faulty (it wasn't).

Luckily in my truck the speakers are tucked behind a plastic cover so I don't have to take the door panel off, I just have to remove the clipped in plastic cover.

Tik-Tok
04-19-2014, 08:54 PM
Wires could be getting broken at the door hinge, from all the opening/closing.

sr20s14zenki
04-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Silly question, but nobody fucked with the balance/fader controls did they? lol

leftwing
04-19-2014, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Wires could be getting broken at the door hinge, from all the opening/closing.

Ill take a look at that, thanks for the idea.

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Silly question, but nobody fucked with the balance/fader controls did they? lol

You didn't read the original post did you? Haha that was the first thing I checked.

Weapon_R
04-19-2014, 09:33 PM
Head unit or amplifier channel is problematic

Graham_A_M
04-20-2014, 10:58 AM
^ It logically has to be, it would have nothing to do with the wires, either they allow conductivity or they dont. So pinched wires or not, wouldn't matter. If they were on the verge of breaking off due to them being severed, the signal going to the speakers would be patchy/ on-off for a short while before the signal is completely lost. (This is due to a small piece of insulation allowing the copper to connect momentarily across the cut/pinch in the wire, but even that cant last long.

leftwing
04-20-2014, 01:12 PM
If it is the head unit could it be something as simple as a loose connection? Or is it gonna require me to replace the whole unit? Im not sure if these are stupid questions, but like I said, I have no idea.

As for the amplifier channel being problematic, can someone elaborate on how to test/check it?

EDIT: What confuses me is that it isn't cutting out or anything, it is just quieter. I thought for sure it would be a speaker issue, since like someone said, either there is a connection or not so in my logic, since its working there is a connection and everything seems to be working. But since its not a speaker issue I have no idea.

Thanks for all the responses

Graham_A_M
04-20-2014, 03:56 PM
^ what you can do is pull off the HU and plug the right speakers into the left HU output to see. If the speakers now plugged into left output are louder, it's te HU, if their the same volume as before, it's the speakers. Now I assume your speakers are stock, so it's really odd. I'm still leaning to the HU being the issue though.

leftwing
04-20-2014, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the reply, I will pull the head unit tonight and try what you said. Although, from my research, there doesn't seem to be a right and left input into the head unit, there is just one input where all the wires are combined into a single plug.

Graham_A_M
04-20-2014, 09:36 PM
^ Then I'd use connectors and jump wires to simulate the bulk connector being plugged in as normal. I figured as much, but with some simple ingenuity, you can make it work. If you were closer to me (Marda loop) I'd do this all for you, and do some more complex testing to find the root of the problem for you, but alas, I have serious doubts you are, so Im trying to help as much as I can this way.

leftwing
04-20-2014, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ Then I'd use connectors and jump wires to simulate the bulk connector being plugged in as normal. I figured as much, but with some simple ingenuity, you can make it work. If you were closer to me (Marda loop) I'd do this all for you, and do some more complex testing to find the root of the problem for you, but alas, I have serious doubts you are, so Im trying to help as much as I can this way.

Thanks for the help and the offer. I live in Bonavista... so not far.

I took out the head unit and fiddled with all the inputs and kind of did nothing but blow them out (nintendo trick) and plug them back in.

I have now narrowed the problem down to the quietness in the passenger side speakers only occurring when listening to music with the AUX output (my ipod). When I play CD, radio and satellite radio it appears to have even sound.

Now what? haha

relyt92
04-20-2014, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by leftwing

Thanks for the help and the offer. I live in Bonavista... so not far.

I took out the head unit and fiddled with all the inputs and kind of did nothing but blow them out (nintendo trick) and plug them back in.

I have now narrowed the problem down to the quietness in the passenger side speakers only occurring when listening to music with the AUX output (my ipod). When I play CD, radio and satellite radio it appears to have even sound.

Now what? haha If it's just AUX the easiest way to check would be to switch cables and see if the issue continues, which it probably won't.