PDA

View Full Version : Best Cooking Oil

davidI
04-30-2014, 12:54 AM
I've read so many different recommendations on what to use for cooking oil. Olive Oil? Extra Virgin Olive Oil? Coconut Oil? Palm Oil?

What do you use and why?

dj_rice
04-30-2014, 06:05 AM
I use EVOO. Good flavor. Why?Not sure why. Been instilled to use it from growing up watching Food Network and cooking school.

If you want to be healthy, coconut oil is best.

NoMoreG35
04-30-2014, 07:04 AM
I use extra virgin olive oil as well. However, most of my family members use just any random oil that's on sale at Superstore and/or T&T :rofl:

taemo
04-30-2014, 07:09 AM
is EVOO ok for frying?

we use canola and evoo

ExtraSlow
04-30-2014, 07:19 AM
I dunno, I use a combo of canola oil and cheapo olive oil.

Don't use Palm oil please, that stuff is terrible for the plent.

Tik-Tok
04-30-2014, 07:47 AM
There is no right answer. Different oils affect different foods in taste, and also have different smoking points. What's good for one food is terrible for another.

davidI
04-30-2014, 08:05 AM
I guess I wasn't overly clear but since this was posted in Health & Fitness I'm looking for using the healthiest oil, but obviously taste is a consideration too.

Here is one of the better articles I've found http://authoritynutrition.com/healthy-cooking-oils/

Coconut oil and EVOO seem to be the general recommendations, though I've seen other articles disagree with Coconut Oil based on limited research.

flipstah
04-30-2014, 08:17 AM
There's avocado oil but for low heat applications, you go for extra virgin olive oil and canola for high heat. Healthy or not, Tik-Tok has a point.

EVOO is a carcinogen in high heat.

DeleriousZ
04-30-2014, 08:20 AM
Olive oil for all the things. Except things that require sesame oil lol

Tik-Tok
04-30-2014, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by davidI
this was posted in Health & Fitness I'm looking for using the healthiest oil,

My bad, I was on my phone and didn't see where it was.

austic
04-30-2014, 08:44 AM
I go with Coconut oil as I believe its the healthiest based on what I have read. EVOO is another solid choice.

flipstah
04-30-2014, 08:56 AM
At the end of the day, all plant-derivative oils are healthy. As long as you don't fuck it up and go past their smoking point, which is when the oil loses its nutrtional value, burns and turns into carbon.

:thumbsup:

EDIT: What's wrong with butter? :love:

AudiPWR
04-30-2014, 09:16 AM
bacon grease

wintonyk
04-30-2014, 11:24 AM
As far as I remember, any of the benefits associated with EVOO are lost when the oil goes above 40c (i.e. vitamins and essential oils). So I only use olive oil on my cooked pasta or salads.

Depending if I am looking for flavour or not, I will alternate between butter(grassed if possible) and coconut oil. The benefits of coconut oil are the medium chain triglycerides.

I try and avoid, soy, corn and peanut oils as they are higher in omega6:omega3 ratio which is considered pro-flammatory.

Omega 3's are anti-inflammatory fats as most people know. Canola oil, walnut and flax oil are the most common sources however omega 3 found in plants isn't heat stable (ALA - alpha linoleic acid). So cooking with it pretty much negates the benefit.

a social dsease
04-30-2014, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by AudiPWR
bacon grease

This. Every time I make bacon I pour the leftover grease into a jam jar I keep in the fridge.

Also sometimes I use canola oil, I use it because it's good for high heat, it's a Canadian product, and it doesn't add any flavor to the dish.

I never use Olive oil for cooking, only use it for salads. It doesn't do well with heat (burns), and it adds too much of a taste to the dish.

Mitsu3000gt
04-30-2014, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by austic
I go with Coconut oil as I believe its the healthiest based on what I have read. EVOO is another solid choice.

Isn't coconut oil super high in saturated fat?

My doctor suggested it be avoided, but I realize there are many theories on it. Some people say it goes right through you so the saturated fat content doesn't matter...not sure I buy that.

r3ccOs
04-30-2014, 11:36 AM
I'm certain that EVOO or heck any oil becomes toxic when cooking anywhere near its smoke point and with EVOO its very low @ 320f

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/706574

I use Canola or Peanut for most "flavor neutral" applications, otherwise I do use Coconut as I like its flavor, its health benefits.

Peanut for sure for high-heat

riander5
04-30-2014, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

My doctor suggested it be avoided, but I realize there are many theories on it. Some people say it goes right through you so the saturated fat content doesn't matter...not sure I buy that.

Yes super high in the type of fat that your body doesnt store and burns right away

wintonyk
04-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

It's higher than most oils. But as I mentioned its a medium chain triglyceride vs long chain of animal saturated fats. MCT has been shown to promote fax oxidation and enhance satiety because they breakdown differently. These fats also do not contain palmitic, lauric or myristic acids which are what causes animal based saturated fats to affect cholesterol.

Unfortunately drs scope of practice is so large that the 20 or so hours of nutrition during med school doesn't cover most things, so we can expect all to be super knowledgable on this stuff.

sputnik
04-30-2014, 01:41 PM
I use olive oil, coconut oil, peanut oil, canola oil, sesame oil, butter and white lard depending on what I am doing.

jwslam
04-30-2014, 02:15 PM
Grapeseed for high heat? Nope. Not at all
http://authoritynutrition.com/grape-seed-oil/

Mitsu3000gt
04-30-2014, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by wintonyk

It's higher than most oils. But as I mentioned its a medium chain triglyceride vs long chain of animal saturated fats. MCT has been shown to promote fax oxidation and enhance satiety because they breakdown differently. These fats also do not contain palmitic, lauric or myristic acids which are what causes animal based saturated fats to affect cholesterol.

Unfortunately drs scope of practice is so large that the 20 or so hours of nutrition during med school doesn't cover most things, so we can expect all to be super knowledgable on this stuff.

Good to know, thanks :thumbsup:

Maybe I will bust the coconut oil out of the cupboard again haha.

I also bought some walnut oil I was experimenting with, can't tell much of a difference between it and EVOO.

msommers
04-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Olive oil for everything. I don't cook at super high temps though because I don't think olive oil is suitable for that application.

Cos
04-30-2014, 06:42 PM

elite
04-30-2014, 11:55 PM
I use mostly olive, coconut, or mct oil. I have always heard about the olive oil being bad to use for high temps but is that credible?

AlanaD
05-13-2014, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I dunno, I use a combo of canola oil and cheapo olive oil.

Don't use Palm oil please, that stuff is terrible for the plent.

I use canola oil for hot dishes and olive oil for cold dishes.

suntan
05-29-2014, 02:47 PM
Rice Bran Oil. Very high smoking point, very neutral flavour.